Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can diffusing essential oils causing headaches

@Kennedy, another reason you shouldn't 'pollute' the shared air at your job is because some people are extremely allergic and may have other complications.

A well meaning nurse use lavender oil in my young friend's room and on her bedding. It triggered a severe asthma attack compounded by an equally severe allergic reaction.

911 was called as rashy hives developed at the same time her airway was closing down.

I would suspect the oils are causing your headaches, especially if they go away within the first 2 hours after you leave your home's air and go outside to work.

Why don't you stop using any oil for 6 weeks and see if there's an improvement? 

Honored Contributor

Yes, scents can cause headaches.  Stop using the oils and see what happens.

Respected Contributor

Another word of caution in using any scented products if you have animals.  A poster mentioned her cat developing asthma.  Animals are very sensitive to smells and what is pleasant to us can be very hard on them.    I have stopped using any scented items in my home for this reason.  For myself I am also bothered by smells and can develop a headache from something as simple as a co-worker's strong perfume.  I would not be surprised if you find that the oils are the culprit behind your headaches. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

KathyM23:  I'm glad you mentioned pets.  Scenting their bedding with strong laundry detergents and fabric softeners can cause real problems re: their breathing, their eyes and noses, etc.  Perhaps even headaches and stomach upsets (who really knows, as pets cannot speak).  Probably especially kittens and puppies.  (Not to mention human newborns and babies, toddlers, etc.)   Oh, wait.  Thinking about pet birds, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Let's not forget recuperating elderly folks, too.  Sometimes less is more (scents, whether natural or not, chemicals, scented bed linens, etc.)  health-wise.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Kennedy,   What oils are you using?  I never get headaches from my mist diffiuser.  I mix water w/oils; it's electric.  I use spearmint and lavender together and it gives a really nice fresh scent.   Stop using your diffuser and see what happens.  If that is the problem then diffuse when you are awake in your living room and change the oils you are using.   Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have learned through a lot of investigated that there are a lot of impure EO out there.  For example there is more Tea tree oil being sold than tea tree plants that ever grew EVER, so were is the EO coming from????

I do very well with pure pharm. grade lavender EO, but put an impure one near me and my asthma kicks up immediately and I start sneezing/watery eyes the whole 9 yards.  This is what started my research!