Respected Contributor

Clymotel T3....Thyroid Disease

Anyone take or use this to get your T3 levels up in the opitmal range?

I have Hashi's/hypo....been on Armour for many yrs and could never get my T4 and T3 in the upper range.  Therefore I am constantly fatigued.  So I decided to try Synthyroid and see how I do....so far my  FT4 is in the mid range (1st time ever) and my T3 is in total dumps range....right in the edge of range.  I feel just as run down as I did while on Armour!

So my doc prescribed this T3 med....well wouldn't you know....after taking just 1 pill I got even MORE tired.  Like I took a sleeping pill....figured it must be an adjustment or something just stick with it.  After 4 days I couldn't stand it....it started making me dizzy too...and like I took a sleeping pill.  

So I stopped to see if it got back to normal....sure enough it did.  I may try it again before calling my doc to be sure here...but I am not wanting to go thur that again to be honest.  

This med is supposed to give you energy....help with fatigue not the opposite.  I am on a tiny 1x day starter dose of 5mcg's....the dizziness is simply impossible for me to tolerate.  It makes me feel even more hypo.

I am thinking of trying to get my doc on board with a different combo....the synthyroid plus a smaller dose of the Armour or other natural thyroid medication.  

Anyone out there experience this type of reaction to T3? or take a combo of synthyroid and natural thyroid??  I think it could work...there is active T3 in it and since my T4 is finally optimal why not??  I can't function like this...

Honored Contributor

Re: Clymotel T3....Thyroid Disease

Sorry you are going thru this. No fun dealing with being hypothyroid. Doctor's just want to test TSH. I have had other tests ran like it says on Stop The Thyroid Madness dot com only to find out the doctor does not know what to do with them?

I have never taken Clymotel or Synthroid.

I used to take Armour for years until they reformulated it & my levels were off the wall. I switched to Erfa until they reformulated & jacked up the price. Now I'm taking NP Thyroid which I feel a lot better on. Ins stopped paying for it because it's not FDA approved. 

I do know that T3 is short lived. I take half mine earlier in the day the other half 4-5 hrs later. Some split it up more & take some before bed since they say it helps them sleep. For me if I take my thyroid med before I go to bed I'm not going to sleep.

Sounds like your doctor needs to run more tests. You will probably have to find one that will do that & understands them. I only had luck with one doctor & he stopped seeing his patients & only does Urgent Care now. We only have one endocrinologist & he would not see me after reviewing my file. I don't know why other then I was taking Armour at the time. Seems like doctor's don't want to mess with NDT. I even had one doctor tell me to find a new one if I was not going to switch to levothyroxine. I have already been down that road & not going back.

Hope you find the answers you are searching for.

Contributor

That's ALL I take and it works great for me.  I do not convert T4 (Synthroid) into T3 (the energy in your cells) so I can only take T3.  I used to take Cytomel (brand name T3) but found out they can now contain gluten so I had to switch to the generic T3, Liothyronine by Paddock, which does not have gluten in it..  It's so much better for me than Cytomel - and better for my wallet! 

If you haven't read the book "Stop the Thyroid Madness" that's a good place to start.  The author, Janie Bowthorpe, also has a website and facebook page.  The Thyroid Pharmacist Izabella Wentz (who also has a website and facebook page) wrote 2 books, both available online.  She herself had Hashimotos.  Her latest book is called "Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back".  Her first book was great too, it's called "Hashimotos Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause". 

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Yes when I was 1st dx I used to belong to STTM forums....and am up to date on all of that.  My doctor is very good on it also.  That wasn't really what my question post is about...I was wondering if anyone out there had a negative reaction when taking clymotel/generic verision T3.  I was given the generic also.

Looks like I am on my own on this one as having the very rare unusual side effect of dizziness increased fatigue with this medication.

I just plan on contacting the doc and seeing if I can do the combo of natural thyroid plus the synthyroid to get the desired results.  Since Armour never could fix this issue and now doing the trial with synthyroid isn't working either....why not??  

Trusted Contributor

@valleygirl22 wrote:

That's ALL I take and it works great for me.  I do not convert T4 (Synthroid) into T3 (the energy in your cells) so I can only take T3.  I used to take Cytomel (brand name T3) but found out they can now contain gluten so I had to switch to the generic T3, Liothyronine by Paddock, which does not have gluten in it..  It's so much better for me than Cytomel - and better for my wallet! 

If you haven't read the book "Stop the Thyroid Madness" that's a good place to start.  The author, Janie Bowthorpe, also has a website and facebook page.  The Thyroid Pharmacist Izabella Wentz (who also has a website and facebook page) wrote 2 books, both available online.  She herself had Hashimotos.  Her latest book is called "Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back".  Her first book was great too, it's called "Hashimotos Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause". 

Good luck!

@valleygirl22 That version of the T3 is what I'm on, as well. I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. I'm also on 60 mg Armour. 

Trusted Contributor

Sorry @tsavorite, I wish I could be of help to you!

Honored Contributor

I had my thyroid removed a few years ago.  I had 3 separate tests done and they all came out questionable, not cancerous but questionable.

My Dr said, "Just get the thing out".  I did and no cancer was found.

My youngest daughter had 1/2 of her thyroid removed about 2 years ago.  Because she was 35 at the time and might want children, they decided it'd be easier to leave 1/2 of it (so they did).  However, she had a growth (not cancer) the size of an orange in her nasal cavity, etc.  The weird thing was you'd have never known because it didn't show up on the outside of her face!  She said she could immediately breathe better.

I am really glad I just had it removed.  Just don't have to worry about getting it right.  I just had my cat's thyroid zapped (whatever they do to it) to slow it down.

I take 150mg once a day.  I feel great.

Trusted Contributor

I started on Cytomel about a year ago.  I had been on Synthroid for years and felt like walking death.  I was gaining weight and sleeping all day.  My endo ran tests and my Reverse T3 was high.  I don't convert the T4 in Synthroid to the active form of T3.

I am very sensitive to T3 hormones, so I started on 2.5 mcgs.  I actually get very hyper when I increase my T3, for a few days.  By November I was feeling great and felt pretty well all winter.  Then I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy.

We didn't think there was much life left in my thyroid because I had the radioactive iodine treatment years ago.  But apparently that gland was still pumping out some hormones.  I feel back to square one again, and am slowly increasing my meds.  I take a combination of Synthroid and Cytomel. 

I did really try to take Armour, and another NDT med that I had prepared by a compounding pharmacy, for many years.  It was just too much T3 in those meds for me.  But, they do work wonders for others.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I'd suggest that you join some facebook group for specifics. I had my thyroid removed last December.  I was taking levo and then because I was tired, my endo added cytomel to my levo. We are playing around with my meds to try to get the right dosage.

If you ever have to go on a Low Iodine Diet, there is a FB group LID Community that lists the specific foods that you can eat. It is amazing. You can even go to Chipotle but not add a few things on it like cheese, sour creams and and few other items.