Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist

You said it; sometimes I think they change the standards just to over-medicate people. My cholesterol of 101 put me in a moderate risk category at our workplace health assessment. I need to look back at previous years, but at one time I thought it was higher and I was considered a low risk. Personally, I'd rather make some diet/exercise changes before I'd let them prescribe a pill.

Honored Contributor

But the issue here is that this is between her and her doctor.

I think it's great if Walgreens wants to provide a pamplet in her medication about the research for her information, but they really have no business calling her and telling her that she has to be on a statin.

They are not doctors.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

So very, very hesitant to post on this.

Please understand I never intend to upset anyone on any responses I leave.

I lost my Mom at 75, from heart disease brought on by diabetes.

My Mom was non-compliant on many issues concerning her health.

You sound supremely educated and compliant regarding your health.

The pharmacist should not try override your doctor's health plan, nor berate you.

My hope for you is that you bring this conversation up with your doctor to gain his/her reaction.

I wish you the best of health and happiness.

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

In 2017, the American Diabetes Association recommended that all people with diabetes take statins. Their reasoning is that controlling risk factors will help lower your overall risk for developing heart disease. These risk factors may include:

high cholesterol

high blood pressure

being overweight or obese

smoking

a high level of sodium in your diet

a low level of physical activity

The fewer risk factors you have, the better your odds of avoiding a heart attack or stroke.

Diabetes is a threat to your cardiovascular health partly because the extra glucose in your blood can injure your blood vessels. When your blood vessels are damaged, blood flow to the heart and brain can be disrupted. This raises the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

Diabetes can also affect your cholesterol by lowering high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good” cholesterol, and raising levels of LDL cholesterol. This is called diabetic dyslipidemia. It can occur even if diabetes is controlled.

All my numbers are within the normal range. I don't need some drug whose most common side effect is muscle pain on top of my arthritic joint pain. You can do what youb and your doctor think is best - and I'll decide for myself. AND BTW - my doctor hasn't said anything about this.

Honored Contributor

WHAT MAKES THIS PERSON AT WALGREENS THINK HE/SHE IS A DOCTOR???

A pharmacist is NOT a doctor!!.  I'm on Metformin and have been for 11 years.  I can't take a Statin.  I've tried three of them even tho my numbers are ok... and they nearly crippled me.  I'm NOT about to argue with a highly educated pill distributor/dispenser.... but I think they are definitely not for everyone. I'll save my personal information and discussions for my DOCTOR and let my DOCTOR discuss her decisions with ME.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I could not take statins.  I did try Metformin.  I was not told to take them together.  I figured this was SO MUCH FUN, I LOST WEIGHT AND I GOT NORMAL.  

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

WHAT MAKES THIS PERSON AT WALGREENS THINK HE/SHE IS A DOCTOR???

A pharmacist is NOT a doctor!!.  I'm on Metformin and have been for 11 years.  I can't take a Statin.  I've tried three of them even tho my numbers are ok... and they nearly crippled me.  I'm NOT about to argue with a highly educated pill distributor/dispenser.... but I think they are definitely not for everyone. I'll save my personal information and discussions for my DOCTOR and let my DOCTOR discuss her decisions with ME.

FYI - Pharmacists are doctors. they have a professional doctorate in pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl

Thank you for your post, but please do not worry about upsetting anyone in this forum, as most here are not easily offended(most).

I am sorry you lost your mother due to heart disease, but many patients that I met in my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, were non-compliant also, and were not keeping it from those giving the classes, nurses or doctors.

Hope you add your comments/opinions, or whatever, more often in this forum.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I’d call my doc and explain what happened.  Ask his/her opinion on adding the statin.  I’m certain the pharmacist was acting in your best interest.

Honored Contributor

A pharmacist doesn't prescribe, a doctor does. If a pharmacist wants to prescribe he or she should get an MD.

I don't even trust what most doctors say and know about medications, so why would I think a pharmacist has any right to suggest meds? I think that's way out of line, but nothing surprises me anymore. Three plus years of taking care of my mother, I've seen it all.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"