Honored Contributor

My aunt that is around 79, had been taking them,her legs were hurting her ,that is one thing,they did blood work up,her levels were high ,the doctor told her to stop taking calcium supplements ,and she says her legs feel much better, this i never heard of.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Calcium supplements

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

My aunt that is around 79, had been taking them,her legs were hurting her ,that is one thing,they did blood work up,her levels were high ,the doctor told her to stop taking calcium supplements ,and she says her legs feel much better, this i never heard of.

@goldensrbest   I'm glad to hear your aunt stopped taking the calcium! I highly recommend watching a few videos with info about calcium supplements if you have time...

Dr Ken Berry - STOP taking that calcium supplement

Dr Ken Berry - Reverse and Prevent Osteoporosis

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

At 67 my bone density is pretty decent, been taking calcium for last 20 years or more. Was recommended for this age to take 1200 mg a day, 2 years ago i lowered mine to about 700 to 800. Take it with magnesium,. K1 and K2 and Vit D3, I like my results. 

Trusted Contributor

After some tests my urologist ordered because I keep producing kidney stones, I recently found out that my calcium is high in my urine.  He then sent me for blood work and the calcium and parathyroid hormone in my blood is normal.  While I'm waiting for my next appointment to find out what I should do, I did a lot of research.  

I did see many medical articles that said that having too much calcium in blood/urine can weaken your bones and cause them to be sore.  Did her doctor send her to get a parathyroid hormone blood test (PTH)?  This is a common cause of too much calcium and can be treated with minor surgery.

The YouTube channel that @Susan Louise mentions has a great video on common things that missed by doctors for women over 50.  One of the things he mentions is hyperparathyroidism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bPhK-rvuUo

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

At 67 my bone density is pretty decent, been taking calcium for last 20 years or more. Was recommended for this age to take 1200 mg a day, 2 years ago i lowered mine to about 700 to 800. Take it with magnesium,. K1 and K2 and Vit D3, I like my results. 

@Shelbelle  I don't expect youy to change you routine, but please just watch this video on how calcium supplements work in the body and are not in your best interest. The other 3 supplements you mention are great Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

There really hasn't been a calcium supplement/heart disease

connection that I know of, but there's a greater than zero chance

if one is taking a supplement, their diet/nutrition isn't up to par.

And there's a good chance she was upping her dietary calcium,

as well as increasing calcium foods, which in turn would insert

more fat in her diet...which in turn would hurt her circulation.  
Domino Effect.   

People don't understand the power of diet.

Just the fact she stop taking an unnecessary supplement (oxymoron)

and felt better is indication what we ingest is powerful.

Honored Contributor

My doctor told me to quit taking calcium a couple of years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  I don't expect youy to change you routine, but please just watch this video on how calcium supplements work in the body and are not in your best interest. The other 3 supplements you mention are great Smiley Happy

I am so pleased with my bone densrity scans, my doc told me to not even do them every 2 years anymore and wait longer. I think my routine has done me a lot of good, since I am not a milk drinker or much of a yogurt eater. I am very leary to eliminate calcium, just made the choice 2 years ago to lower it, a good compromise. Nexttime I seemy PCP for blood work, I will have her test for too much calcium, urine seems to always be fine. We cant listen to what just one doc has to say about it, so many docs with varying opinions on all facets of health. My supplement has calcium K, mag and D3, an all around good for me supp. I feel much better about taking a calcium supp than to have to take a RX pill or go for an infusion for bone density. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I am so pleased with my bone densrity scans, my doc told me to not even do them every 2 years anymore and wait longer. I think my routine has done me a lot of good, since I am not a milk drinker or much of a yogurt eater. I am very leary to eliminate calcium, just made the choice 2 years ago to lower it, a good compromise. Nexttime I seemy PCP for blood work, I will have her test for too much calcium, urine seems to always be fine. We cant listen to what just one doc has to say about it, so many docs with varying opinions on all facets of health. My supplement has calcium K, mag and D3, an all around good for me supp. I feel much better about taking a calcium supp than to have to take a RX pill or go for an infusion for bone density. 

@Shelbelle  But the calcium supplements don't work in anyone's best interest. All I can do is suggest just watching the video and learn how/what happens when you take them. So many folks really don't know or understand how the body actually processes calcium supplements Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With my bone density remaining stable for the last 16 years, I have to feel that the calcium has been very beneficial to me and not done me any harm. It is just like statins, millions of people taking them, but I would never take them. What works for some, will never work for everyone. 

I also take Tums when needed, plenty of calcium in there too.