Esteemed Contributor

Re: Calcium supplement recommendations?

I take Bone-Up by Jarrow.  

Bone-Up

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

Leafy greens do have calcium in them, but the calcium isn't that bioavailable (unless you Vitamix it probably).

@bebe777

Huh?  

A bunch of kale isn't bioavailable but manufacturered vitamins are?

How Vitamins are made:

- Preliminary check (obtaining raw materials)

- Preblending (processing)

- Wet granulation (mixed with cellulose)

- Weighing & mixing (samples taken from mixer)

- Encapsulating machine (tamper pins pushing powder down)

- Polishing & inspection

- Tableting (4-10 tons of pressure is exerted on the vitamin powder)

- Coating (depending on product, tablets could have several coatings)
- Packaging (sealed, capped, labelled, and shrink-wrapped)

or

image.jpeg

___ 

@sidsmom, I said: 

Leafy greens do have calcium in them, but the calcium isn't that bioavailable (unless you Vitamix it probably).

and you asked:

Huh?  

A bunch of kale isn't bioavailable but manufacturered vitamins are?

@sidsmom, I specifically said that kale isn't THAT bioavailable unless you Vitamix it. And I stand by what I said. The only thing I'd add is that kale is more bioavailable when you cook it (although that will destroy the fragile Vitamin C content).

It is very hard to extract full nutrition from raw leafy green vegetables because their cellulose content/quality makes it extremely difficult to break down their tough cells walls in order to get to the nutritional content within each kale cell. -- A Vitamix will break through the cell walls and allow access to the nutritional content. So will cooking kale, but most people seem to prefer to eat their leafy greens raw.

___ 

@sidsmom, you also wrote: 

How Vitamins are made:

- Preliminary check (obtaining raw materials)

- Preblending (processing)

- Wet granulation (mixed with cellulose)

- Weighing & mixing (samples taken from mixer)

- Encapsulating machine (tamper pins pushing powder down)

- Polishing & inspection

- Packaging (sealed, capped, labelled, and shrink-wrapped)

You might want to qualify that broad statement with "some Vitamins", because Procaps Labs vitamins are manufactured with great respect for their raw ingredients. 

You might want to watch Andrew's show on HSN tonight 8-10pm ET because Andrew details how his supplements are different from many supplements on the market. 

In fact, for the two previous shows, Andrew has a chart that shows the binders, fillers, etc. which are in a lot of supplements but not his supplements. -- Andrew is the sole owner of Procaps Labs and makes all the final decisions on his products.

Procaps actually assays each new shipment that arrives in their on site lab before each shipment is accepted. 

I don't know what you mean by "Wet granulation (mixed with cellulose)" so, I can't addres that.

Since Andrew only makes powder capsules, I don't think that these three processes apply: 

- Polishing & inspection

___ 

On a personal note, I happen to have a great respect for vegetables and fruit because I've been on a paleo diet for around the past 10 years (before the "paleo diet" even existed). -- Here's the basics of my daily routine: 

32oz green smoothie every day (green as in veggies, and not sugared up fruits)

* breakfast -- 3 scrambled eggs from organic, free range, grass/bug fed chickens

* lunch -- huge rainbow salad and whey protein drink

* supper -- 4oz hamburger (from organic, grass fed cows) and a huge rainbow salad

extras: nuts & seeds, plus a little fruit, vegetable soups

I choose to add supplements to my health routine. No matter where you buy your veggies, the soil has been depleted and veggies are less nutrient dense than they were 25-50 years ago. 

No matter what you do, it's difficult to get a very balanced diet every day. I feel that taking Procaps Labs supplements helps keep me at an optimal level of health. -- When I don't take my supplements, my body feels the difference. I pretty much know what every single supplement I take does to help my body. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I just looked up Bone Up by Jarrow (another brand I trust/buy).    Thanks.    It looks good and since vitamin K is OK for me, I will seriously look into it.    I like the vitamin/mineral  combo in it.    I am allergic to large doses of vitamin C but this seems OK.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always gone for alternating calcium supplements and have about four different types on hand (including chewables) at any given time.

My recent bone density test was excellent, so I'll keep doing that.

As for foods ........    My favorite cottage cheese with pineapple is a frequent side dish.  It says calcium fortified on the container ... and I just checked it.   A serving has 40% of a days supply of calcium!

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I am thinking one that contains calcium citrate would be best. I used to take one a long time ago but stopped so haven't been up to date lately with calcium information. I really think I should be taking one again, especially since I don't eat or drink alot of dairy products and I pretty much know I am not getting enough in my diet, especially because of how much I exercise.

Any good recs?

I use Citracal Petites.  Other brand tablets are just too big for me to swallow, but the Petites are not a problem.  You can find them at your local drug store or order from Amazon, which I do now.

Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I switched to gummies and they are far easier for me to take, those big bad tablets were awful!

I took those gummies too a few years ago, but when I finally noticed the sugar count I stopped.  Before that I had been on the chocolate chews.  I should have learned the sugar thing on that one.  There are plenty in capsule form now.  I don't like the big tablets either.

Respected Contributor

I have had very good dexa scan results and take a Timed Release calcium tablet at bedtime.  To take more than one of any type calcium item is wasteful:  what the body doesn't use, get excreted.

I don't like the large tablet but with the results I will keep on:  my mom had 3 hip replacements and one sister has had both knees and a shoulder replaced. I'm 71, so far so good.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill