Honored Contributor

Re: CVS pulls Zantac over cancer fears!

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Susan Louise.  Zantac is an  Acid Reducer, not an acid eliminator.  There's still enough to digest food.  Gastroenterologists emphasize how important it is to not have too much acid.

@Kachina624  Ok, it is an 'acid reducer'...it still works at 'blocking' acid...which STILL works against what one's body needs/does. One of the videos I mentioned for folks to watch explains this fully...and better than I ever can.

When one is eating more carbs/sugars than their own body can handle, that's when the acid reflux/GERD/heartburn starts developing. I never had this issue til 6 years ago. My body had enough. When I cut out most carbs/sugars, the issue became non-existent...period.

Some folks have great genes and never get this issue. Some folks never get this issue because they never ate a lot of carbs/sugars from the get-go.

Still, there are other folks that develop it eventually at some point later in life. Many times that could be an indicator that they are also becoming pre-diabetic and their blood sugar #'s are rising. Being pre-diabetic is a VERY slippery slope.

Some folks can be in pre-diabetic stage for a decade or two...others for only a few months before they become full blown diabetic type 2.

It looks like I became pre-diabetic (at 53 yrs of age) at about the same time I developed the acid reflux/GERD/heartburn. My Dr at the time didn't check my blood, he only went by my telling him I was having the acid reflux/GERD/heartburn issue and gave me an acid blocker script...didn't even bother to check anything else! And here is a bit of added info: I never got heartburn/Gerd/acid reflux from spicy foods because I never ate them. However, as an example, I would get it after having a just a couple of toll house cookies and a glass of skim milk...which are ALL CARBS/SUGARS!

The only dairy DH and I have now is butter, non-processed cheeses and heavy whipping cream. Our carbs are limited to 50-60 a day and nothing with sugar...so those toll house cookies are out. We eat either FatSnax cookies or we make our own using specific sugar substitues that don't raise our blood sugar and use almond or coconut flour.

That is just one example. By making changes to our eating in these ways, I don't have the acid reflux/GERD/heartburn anymore.

So anyway, I wish I had gone to another Dr for a 2nd opinion...but no, I 'assumed' he knew what he was doing regarding my diagnosis of just needed an acid blocker. So for the next 5 years I took acid blockers and my acid reflux kept getting worse. 

Thank goodness I took matters into my own hands....and by changing my lifestyle, the issue is gone. Funny, but not funny aspect of this is that I haven't been to my Dr since he gave me that script to take for 6 months. I only took it for 3 months then switched to a cheaper version of the same acid blocker drug...Prevacid.

After a couple of years using that, I had to start supplementing with Zantac...then chugging Pepto-bismal at night before bed! Taking acid blockers over a period of time does NOT do the body good.

So for folks who have heartburn/GERD/acid reflux on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to have one's blood sugar #'s checked the next time they visit their Dr if they don't already know them. I didn't have mine checked until DH got his blood glucose monitor last September when he was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. It was through checking my own numbers at home I found out I was pre-diabetic...NOT by my Dr.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, IF I had known my body just needed me to stop eating all those carbs/sugars, I could have saved myself a lot of pain, LOTS of $$$ and having to worry about additional health issues developing because I took the acid blockers for over 5 yrs!

I believed all the stuff the pharma companies and health institutes pushed all my life. Boy, were DH & I fools. This past year we woke up to the fact that they are all in it for the $$$. They aren't really out to cure anything...just help folks with their symptoms.

They don't make $$$ on healthy folks.

I'm sure the pharma companies are not thrilled losing me as a customer of all their acid blockers I was taking daily. It added up to near $100 a month toward the end of the insanity! And yet, the pharma companies aren't too worried, there are other folks down the pike that will be taking my place, spending that $$$ for the acid blockers unless they figure out early on about what to do to not have to take them to begin with.

Instead of having a good Dr who told me to cut back on carbs/sugars, I had one that pushed pills and gave me a script for an acid blocker (which is what I said in my OP).

Again, as I started this thread, and why I started this thread...I still feel blessed that by changing my lifestyle, I no longer need to take any medication for acid reflux/GERD/heartburn...especially since there are additional issues to worry about by taking Zantac...ie...cancer.

With PPI's it's early dementia.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a magic pill. One always runs the risk of developing other health issues taking any type of medication.

When one is able to get off any medication, they are healthier...that's the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise   It's not necessarily true that when one can get off medicine they're healthier.  My Gastroenterologist told me that if I didn't take omeprazole I was at risk of getting Barrett's Esophagus.  I have tried many times to get off it (before seeing the gastroenterologist) with no luck.  I eat a healthy diet.  I have no interest in watching a video of another doctor's opinion.  I go to the best enterology group in my area and completely trust my doctor.  It is much much better to take a PPI than to have acid reflux.  It's very dangerous not to control your acid reflux.  I feel like I'm being lectured.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a diabetic and never had an issue with gerd until metformin gave it to me..You can have gerd for many reasons..Listen to your Dr or pharmacist ,people. You know the people who trained for years to learn their profession. My husband has a hietel  (sp)hernia  and it causes gerd

BTW my thyroid doesn't work right. I would be a mess  if I stopped taking it..I have never seen so much bad advice in one spot

Esteemed Contributor

About 20+ yrs ago I was diagnosed with IBS & Gerd.I was in bad shape. My mom was dying & the stress was eating at me. I was put on all sorts of meds. At the time they kept me from suffering. 
  After mom passed I began a journey back to health. I started exercising, I eliminated all the diet soda & caffeine I was drinking.I started eating healthier & I got myself off the meds.

Very occasionally I get some heartburn. I take  Pepcid or Tums.It resolves itself very quickly. I also take digestive enzymes & a probiotic each day.They help me a lot.

DH & I are very lucky.We are in good health & pretty much only go to doctors when we get sick.We have no faith in them. In our opinion they push meds & tests too much.They also keep you coming back so they can keep billing.This causes a lot of stress & side effects which leads to more medical issues.

I understand that people feel differently.Some people need the doctor & the meds for different reasons.I would never attempt to tell someone to do what I do. Everyone is different.To each their own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people will stop needing  diabetes med if they lose weight and change their diet.it will also stop the gerd

Because this happened doesn't mean it is going to cure everyone else. I am not overweight, and I don't make enough thyroid hormone, or insulin hormone. This is linked tto my type 2

Meds are very hard on your digestion..SO don't believe all peoples claims, ask your Dr..They know  you and your condition

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  @cherry  @NicksmomESQ 

I believe with all my heart I am helping some folks even though they don't post about it.

I never claimed in any way that this is THE way to eat/live for everyone.

There are folks who do have similar circumstances that might benefit from my personal stories I share.

There are many threads in the forum that I read but don't post in because it is not something that I deal with personally so I pass them on by.

This is a subject I am familiar with on many levels. Everyone is different in the way they choose to deal with the same issues or their health is different. I am sharing for those who can relate to all I shared. I cannot make it any simplier than that.

For those who don't believe in what I say, pass on by reading any of my posts. I'm trying to reach out to folks that my sharing is helpful to.

I know and believe in my heart there are folks who are thankful I am sharing.

Honored Contributor

Telling people to stop taking meds is dangerous and reckless. You are not a Dr

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@cherry  I started this thread about a drug I took for years that now has risks for cancer. At the very least, that info was helpful for those who are cancer survivors like myself...I am a lung cancer survivor.

I am sharing MY personal story with these types of drugs.

We are all adults. Everyone chooses their own path.

I never claimed to be a Dr. I mentioned in a few posts about folks possibly needing to go to their Dr to get their blood checked. IMHO, you are missing many points I have made in this thread.

Honored Contributor

You are just practicing medicine without a license. All Zantac  isn't bad. They will eliminate the stuff that is. I am done with you. You are dangerous..

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@cherry 

But so many people love to play Doctor, and say that worked for them will work for everyone!!

Not only that, but they know MORE an know BETTER than every doctor on the planet!

They say that they don't trust doctors and "big pharma", but yet if they or if their loved one had a stroke, heart attack, cancer, got in a horrible auto accident, guess who would be helping them?

That's right.

Those "mean 'ol" doctors and "big pharma."

You really have to laugh at the hypocrisy of it all.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.