Honored Contributor

Re: CAN'T STAND IN ONE PLACE. ANYBODY ELSE?

@Mindy D wrote:
I am having real trouble standing in one place. Is there anyone else with this problem? If so, did you get a diagnosis? What are you doing to help yourself?

Good grief,  just WHY are you trying to self-diagnose?

Wouldn't seeing someone who's been to medical school be a better option?

What are you waiting for ??????

Honored Contributor

Many people with back issues have difficulty standing in place with any length of time.  Only a professional can diagnose the cause of you discomfort.

I do hope you find relief.

Honored Contributor

Ivey, thank you so much for answering. I really appreciate it. I can't find any accounts of this kind of symptom. I have metal in my foot, so I could not have an MRI. I would be interested in any follow up information you can provide after your evaluation. I hope you feel better soon.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:
Ivey, thank you so much for answering. I really appreciate it. I can't find any accounts of this kind of symptom. I have metal in my foot, so I could not have an MRI. I would be interested in any follow up information you can provide after your evaluation. I hope you feel better soon.

Has the MRI imaging center told you this?  I have hardware in mylow back  back, but just had a cervical MRI a month ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:
Ivey, thank you so much for answering. I really appreciate it. I can't find any accounts of this kind of symptom. I have metal in my foot, so I could not have an MRI. I would be interested in any llow up information you can provide after your evaluation. I hope you feel better soon.

Has the MRI imaging center told you this?  I have hardware in mylow back  back, but just had a cervical MRI a month ago.

Hi sfnative,

When I was having my colon bleeding issues, for the 2nd time in 2011, I had a Double Balloon Enterosopy done, yet again. This time they put 3 metal clips on the bleed area of my right colon.

My doctor told me not to have an MRI for 6 weeks and beyond that point the metal in my colon would not be an issue. I am assuming that would be because after that point the metal would be sufficiently covered so as not to be an issue for me or the Radiologist. 

Unfortunately for me, I only made it 10 days, and the colon bleeding started again. 2 more Colonoscopies and then back to the Double Balloon once again. This time my doctor put in 3 Titanium clips in the same part of my colon, and so far I have had no bleeding since. I still pay close attention to my natural functions as I have had more than enough blood transfusions.

I don't see my friend, the Spinal  Surgeon during the hockey off-season or I would ask him about this. I really don't see why having metal in a part of the body that is not involved in the MRI would be an issue. But I certainly won't say that without asking him.

My wife has done Pet Sitting fornhim twice since hockey season ended and he needs her again, i will talk with him about this. Their are a lot of people

with metal in their bodies and should they have Spinal issues?

It is hard for me to believe there is not a method to see the spine and source of a problem. I think they still do Myelograms. Seems like he told me that awile back. Thatbis how they found my ruptured L-5 and S-1.

Good to see you and my best to you,

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:
I am having real trouble standing in one place. Is there anyone else with this problem? If so, did you get a diagnosis? What are you doing to help yourself?

Mindy, I have ten to eleven compressed discs in my spine from osteoporosis.  I cannot stand up without support for more than five minutes.  I use a Rollator walker when I walk  and it has a seat that I can sit on when the pain and fatigue get too bad.  The pain is always there, never gone, except when I am lying down.

I think you should see an orthopedic doc as soon as possible, who will probably recommend an MRI and bone scans.  Good luck.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:
Ivey, thank you so much for answering. I really appreciate it. I can't find any accounts of this kind of symptom. I have metal in my foot, so I could not have an MRI. I would be interested in any llow up information you can provide after your evaluation. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi sfnative,

When I was having my colon bleeding issues, for the 2nd time in 2011, I had a Double Balloon Enterosopy done, yet again. This time they put 3 metal clips on the bleed area of my right colon.

My doctor told me not to have an MRI for 6 weeks and beyond that point the metal in my colon would not be an issue. I am assuming that would be because after that point the metal would be sufficiently covered so as not to be an issue for me or the Radiologist. 

Unfortunately for me, I only made it 10 days, and the colon bleeding started again. 2 more Colonoscopies and then back to the Double Balloon once again. This time my doctor put in 3 Titanium clips in the same part of my colon, and so far I have had no bleeding since. I still pay close attention to my natural functions as I have had more than enough blood transfusions.

I don't see my friend, the Spinal  Surgeon during the hockey off-season or I would ask him about this. I really don't see why having metal in a part of the body that is not involved in the MRI would be an issue. But I certainly won't say that without asking him.

My wife has done Pet Sitting fornhim twice since hockey season ended and he needs her again, i will talk with him about this. Their are a lot of people

with metal in their bodies and should they have Spinal issues?

It is hard for me to believe there is not a method to see the spine and source of a problem. I think they still do Myelograms. Seems like he told me that awile back. Thatbis how they found my ruptured L-5 and S-1.

Good to see you and my best to you,

Hi John!

Good to see you, too!

There was a long-standing brew-ha-ha about not being able to image patients with pacemakers.  According to the literature in the '90s and early '00s and since the pacemakers were quite the chunky things back then, advice was against imaging patients with pacemakers.  In some to many instances that morphed into "if you have any metal in your body you cannot be imaged."  Though imaging questionaires still ask the patient if he/she has schrapnel, metal in the eye or other sources of metal, every time I explain that I have titanium rods, screws and a titanium cage at L5-S1, they're OK with that.  Metalurgically speaking, there is a huge difference between titanium and steel, as I'm sure you're aware.

Would like to hear what your spine surgeon has to say on the subject and hope you can get back to us on that.

All the best to you and Cindy.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Titanium has semi -magnetic properties as does aluminum. They are considered paramagnetic. Steel is considered magnetic. I have a large piece of stainless steel in my foot.
Honored Contributor

Lilac tree, thank you.
Valued Contributor

I think you know to see an MD ASAP (and also get a 2nd opinion if you have not already). I have the same problem as do a couple others that work with me.

I broke my back in 2 places a few years ago.   I could not stand in one place long even before I broke my back and I could not sleep in a bed without my back getting hung up and having to roll out of bed onto the floor to get out.  I sleep in a Lazy Boy and my back is much better.

I feel for anyone that has back issues.  If your back hurts, everthing hurts.  Wishing you luck on getting a cure for your issue.