Esteemed Contributor

I had bursitis many years ago which started with pain in my left shoulder.  It slowly began to creep down my arm so decided it was time to see my doctor.  I was given a  shot of cortisone in my shoulder and also had physical therapy since the shoulder was frozen and without the shot and therapy I would have been in a lot of trouble.  Once it was cured I never had an episode again...until...

I fell and broke my right hip in 2015, had surgery, therapy in rehab for a month with home therapy for five months.  At my last day of therapy my therapist said she believed I had bursitis at the spot where the surgery was done.  Forwarding to the present...pain in hip area, saw several doctors who had ex-rays taken which showed nothing.  First of all an ex-ray does not show bursitis.

I went to see the hip surgeon, he also had an ex-ray taken, which showed nothing, gave me a shot and said if necessary the bursitis can be cut out.  The pain kept increasing and now it is so excruciating that it is unbearable.  I personally never cared for the surgeon who operated on my hip but when you are taken to a hospital  in an emergency you don't have a choice on who operates on you.  I am making an appointment with a surgeon my former son-in-law had for a hip replacement and will ask for a cat-scan and go from there.   

I wish I knew of something that would relieve  your pain other than what others here have suggested for you.  Living with pain wears you down and can cause depression.  Perhaps you should see another doctor for an opinion, not sure taking a lot of steroids is good for anyone.  I sincerely hope you find something that will give you more relief.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

Several years ago dh thought he was in for a hip replacement because he was in so much hip pain and all his friends had replacements.  Visited the dr who said it was bursitis and sent him to pt.  He now does regular exercises that relieve the pain.  He was happy!

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland , I agree that changing your routine helps.  I was a big walker.  Now, I have to limit that or I have trouble.  I have turned to swimming and elliptical for the most part and that helps.

i bought an adjustable bed and I love that I can elevate the head and foot.  (Sleep Science, from Costco).  Love the bed.

I am Canadian.  My dr gave me a prescription for Diclofenac 10% in VersaPro.  It is a topical rub (a compound that the pharmacist must make up) and helps numb the area.  I believe it is like Advil.

I used to get the shots but have adjusted my activity level and haven't had one for awhile.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Wricardos I am so sorry that you are dealing with this evil monster.  It robs one of sleep and the ability to do things you want.  I have had large joint injections, physical therapy and many restless nights.  I have tried Mobic for the pain and inflammation also.  I also have sciatica and a pelvis that has been operated on twice due to a horrible fall, hope you find the magic bullet!