Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox !  Hope you feel better soon!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

Thank you all I went back to the spot where I fell and the side walk was very broken up , tomorrow I will call the town and the store and see if there have been any complaints

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I fell last Friday and at first I thought I reijured my radial bone, but it turns out I have bruised ribs, left side right under my breast. It hurts from under my arm to the middle of my chest.

It hurts to breath and laught, I knwo that time is the great healer but any other thoughts 

thanks all

Have had 5 fractured(broken)ribs on 4 different injuries. One I had 2 broken on my right side. So I am familiar with that type of pain. Fractured ribs, regardless of what you do take (X) amount of time to heal. For me from injury to pain free? It was over 6 months. Bruised ribs on the other hand can heal in 2-3 weeks.

Makes it hard to sleep/take deep breaths, and as you say, laugh/cough or sneeze. If there is a way to get around the pain? I never found it. 

As you acknowledged, time is the healer. Hang in there as this too shall pass. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Stop breathing and laughing.

(JK)

Actually...

552504LG.jpg (500×352)

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Years ago, I experienced a fall on the ribs...zowie, that hurt!

I also developed a hemotoma on the contact site, but it was immediate.   

My thought is...yes, it's going to hurt, but keep a gauge on how bad it hurts.  A hematoma might develop deep within the body.

Don't know if one can develop a week/so afterwards...maybe someone reading can answer that.  Just something to be mindful with.

Good luck....sending soft hugs your way

I had a heart cath on a Friday and developed a hematoma, at the entry site, the following Monday. Had I not still been in the hospital on Hephrine to stabilize my INR/PRO time? Life over?

My 2nd heart attack my PCP said I could go home after 2 days. I said, "no way I am going home for AT least 3 days after my Stent Angioplasty". He told me a Hematoma won't form after 48 hours. He became my former doctor and I stayed 4 days after the procedure.

A Hematoma the size of a baseball is bad enough, but ice bags in that area for months? Took 6 months before all the swelling was gone. That is my experience with a life threatening Hematoma.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I fell last Friday and at first I thought I reijured my radial bone, but it turns out I have bruised ribs, left side right under my breast. It hurts from under my arm to the middle of my chest.

It hurts to breath and laught, I knwo that time is the great healer but any other thoughts 

thanks all

Oxox, you may have seen my post two weeks ago that I walked into a wall and hit my chest wall and right breast.  I am still experiencing pain after two weeks, it comes and goes now depending on what position I'm in.  The bruising is gone (I don't know what may be going on inside). 

Injuring one's ribs is a very painful experience and similar to what I did.  It will take a while to heal.  I have been taking Tylenol for Arthritis on and off, which I take on and off for RA pain.  It does help.  In the meantime, rest as much as possible.

I extend my empathy and hope you heal soon with no complications.

This is key, as it contains an anti-inflammatory as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bruised Ribs

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

thanks all

Have had 5 fractured(broken)ribs on 4 different injuries. One I had 2 broken on my right side. So I am familiar with that type of pain. Fractured ribs, regardless of what you do take (X) amount of time to heal. For me from injury to pain free? It was over 6 months. Bruised ribs on the other hand can heal in 2-3 weeks.

Makes it hard to sleep/take deep breaths, and as you say, laugh/cough or sneeze. If there is a way to get around the pain? I never found it. 

As you acknowledged, time is the healer. Hang in there as this too shall pass. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

I had a bout of really bad bronchitis one year, and those coughs tore the cartilage from my ribs.

Dang!  Even that made all of the above hard to do, especially trying to suppress every cough and sneeze.

And I have a very high pain tolerance.

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear about your accident.  I am all for hot baths.  My son was in a car accident years ago and had 3 fractured ribs and 3 fractures in his back.  He wore a brace that seemed to help but it took the ribs time to heal.  I was wondering if anyone suggested a brace to you?  Maybe they don't do that anymore. That was quite a few years ago.  It was probably more for his back, but if I remember right, it helped his ribs feel a little better too.  Hope you feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

Be very careful the next few weeks and let them heal.  I hit my ribs very hard several years go with a carton.  The edge jammed into my chest, hit me in the ribs and winded me for several seconds.  After a few mins I was fine and went about my busness.  Two weeks after that,  I was lying down and could not get up.  My rib had broken from the impact of the hit 2 weeks earlier.   The same thing happened to my girlfriends daughter.  I'm not trying to concern you, just letting you know to be careful. 

Since they don't wrap ribs anymore,  just go slowly and take something to help the pain if necessary.  Let us know how you're doing.