Super Contributor

For those of you who have to deal with prothesis, its expensive.  Insurance covers some but some women dont have insurance.  For thirty years I have been purchasing these every 5 or 6 years.  They can run $350 to $500, not a small amount for any women.

Here's my question.... Does anyone know where these can be donated.  These can be cleaned and sanitized.  These are not the ones which are implanted.  These are the ones worn in a mastectomy bra.  Over the years, I have thrown them away.  Not even Salvation Army or Goodwill or any breast cancer group I found would accept these.

It just hurts my soul to toss something so fundamentally needed by a woman who experienced breast cancer.  I would even be happy to mail this to any organization if you know of one.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog

I will post individual information 

http://diannesmastectomy.com/donations/

Honored Contributor

http://impactone.pink/donate/

Breastcancer.org

Under “community”

Search, Donate prosthesis 

You may have to sign in to see the information 

Let me know if you need more information. 

Super Contributor

Thank you so much.  I live in the Valley so the one in Gilbert is reasonably close.  I will be contacting them today.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog

You’re welcome. Happy to help 🌹

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog @butterfly123  What a great question and answer!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Breast prothesis

[ Edited ]

For any woman who wants a prosthesis, check out the online site called

JODEE; they also have a catalog available for you.

Honored Contributor

lilypad---I am lucky that my insurance will cover faux boobs once a year----I get 4 bras for them , a year as well. I used to buy just one as I had the one cancer breast removed; 2 years ago I decided to have the non cancer breast removed so now I am flat, very happily,  with no plans to reconstruct. My point---I donate my bras and faux "girls" to my hospitals cancer store. I prob won't be getting anymore as I never wear the ones I have. No boobs is very freeing!!!

Super Contributor

Butterfly 123,  the package should arrive at I'mpact One tomorrow.  Thank you again.

Wagirl,  thirty years ago my insurance would not pay for a bilateral even though the cancer I had was considered symmetrical and I had a significant family history.   Once the gene was discovered, I tested positive for that.  I suppose I could have more surgery but, after 30 years, I developed an "oh well" @attitude.  I do understand the desire for freedom from prosthetics etc.  An interesting side point, my insurance company all those years ago would not authorize more bras or a second prothesis until I survived the 5 year mark.  They actually told me that.

Honored Contributor

lily---amazing what advances are being made and will be made. Congrats on your many years of continued beating down those cancer zombies---I am 6 years out, still on tamox for another 5 at least, but doing well. Decided that having one breast was silly as it still could get cancer so thats a big reason to lop it off. My insurance was stellar during those days as the bills were way over $100,00 by the time I was done. What a wild ride!!!