Esteemed Contributor

They just recalled the textured implants because of proven cancer risk.  I had a relative post today on FB totally freaked.  She has 2 of those (supposedly only 5% of implants are from this company). At this point, if she has them removed, it's on her nickel.  Of course, eventually there will be a class action, but in the meantime....

Honored Contributor

If she got the implants after a mastectomy she might get them removed and replaced at no cost if there is a recall.

Honored Contributor

The report I heard recommended they not be removed unless there was a problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 : If you are under fifty and a breast cancer survivor, that is little comfort.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The report I heard recommended they not be removed unless there was a problem.

That’s true for right now but I bet they change the recommendation. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast implant disaster

[ Edited ]

ALLERGAN is recalling them worldwide.

According to an article in WEB MD, ”The FDA says the textured surface, unique to Allergan’s implants...breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL), a type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. There have been 573 cases of BIA-ALCL worldwide, incl...

With this recall and associated deaths, I’d hold off on the removal for just a short time because it’s likely that ALLERGAN will be forced to pay for the removal of the implants.

Honored Contributor

The Manufacturer will do everything preventing" their" covering removal costs....you watch.....YEARS AND YEARS of court battling before anyone receives compensation.  

Personally I would choose to remove them BEFORE SYMPTOMS OF CANCER.   How STUPID do they think women are waiting for symptoms to remove them.  That is their way out of a massive removal. 

Honored Contributor

According to the FDA on its website, some European countries are already calling for removal.

“We understand that today’s news may be alarming to some patients with breast implants. In the safety communication issued today, we’re providing actionable information for individuals with specific breast implants and their health care professionals. The FDA does not recommend removal for patients without symptoms due to potential risks, but we provide helpful information for patients and providers to consider when discussing next steps,” said Jeff Shuren, M.D., J.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “Moving forward, we are committed to continuing to share updates with patients about this issue. We will continually evaluate any new information and may, as a result, take action regarding other breast implants, if warranted. In addition, we are continuing our assessment to determine whether the risk of developing BIA-ALCL is limited to specific models of textured, or all textured breast implants. We continue to advise women and health care professionals that the use of breast implants is associated with a risk of developing BIA-ALCL and that the risk is greater with textured implants.”

Textured breast implants overall are less common in the U.S. compared to other countries and specifically, macro-textured implants (the type of textured implant that Allergan manufactures) represent less than 5% of all breast implants sold in the U.S. Although this type of textured breast implant may represent a small proportion of the U.S. market, the continued availability of Allergan BIOCELL textured breast implants pose a public health risk to patients. Today’s action by the FDA is similar to other actions initiated by France, Canada and Australia, where the use of textured implants is much higher, sometimes as high as 80% of their market share. These countries have also initiated or taken actions to prompt the recall or removal of certain textured breast implants (including certain breast implants sold by Allergan) from the market.”

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The Manufacturer will do everything preventing" their" covering removal costs....you watch.....YEARS AND YEARS of court battling before anyone receives compensation.  

Personally I would choose to remove them BEFORE SYMPTOMS OF CANCER.   How STUPID do they think women are waiting for symptoms to remove them.  That is their way out of a massive removal. 

Yeah, ITA but....surgery is expensive.

Google says,

Removal is ~$2500-3500...then add a breast lift ~$5000.

All out of pocket. 

Ooof. 

Not a simple procedure. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast implant disaster

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yeah, ITA but....surgery is expensive.

Google says,

Removal is ~$2500-3500...then add a breast lift ~$5000.

All out of pocket. 

Ooof. 

Not a simple procedure. 

@sidsmom   Yes....and thus why manufacturer will fight this tooth and nail WITH years of court battles fighting this......  WHILE  WOMEN  ARE dying.  

Simular to the Monsanto  ROUND UP WEED SPRAY CATASTROPHE.....DENIAL DENIAL DENIAL.