Valued Contributor

Breast Reduction Surgery Soon

[ Edited ]

I have been reading various forums on the internet about the surgery but was wondering if anyone here has had breast reduction surgery and if you have any suggestions for me.  Looking for comfort items or anything that will help to make my recovery easier.

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Reduction Surgery Soon

No advice or amazing revelations.  I wish I'd had it done 30 years ago.  Too late now.  Wish you well and hope you recover quickly.  Good luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Best thing I ever did! 

My recovery was pretty easy. I took two weeks off work.

After surgery, ther was an ace wrap around my chest for a few days.

after the drains were removed, I wore a cheap, lightweight FRONT CLOSURE bra from Walmart 24/7 for a few weeks.

i slept on the couch for a few weeks so I wouldn’t roll over onto my chest. My sister also had the surgery and slept in a lazy boy chair. 

Good luck!

Super Contributor

My reduction surgery changed my life!  It was the best thing I ever did over 10 years ago when I was in my early 40s.  Only regret:  not having it done much earlier.   Some tips from what I remember:

- Ask for an anti-nausea patch.  Breast surgeries, I found out later, for some reason bring on more post-op nausea.  That was the only bad thing about my surgery.  I had nausea after I woke up.

- Make sure you don't lift anything heavy.  And that means like no more than a gallon of milk.  Really baby yourself for two weeks after so you don't pull your stitches.  Have everything ready in the fridge, freezer, and pantry and don't stretch to reach for anything.

-When you can use them, apply scar patches to the closed incisions.

-Do not freak out when you first see yourself.  You will look like Frankenstein probably!  I cried and got hysterical and thought I was still much too large.  

-Take before photos, then after photos at various stages (same position).  You will enjoy seeing the progress.  And years later you will be amazed!

Good luck!  I was terrified - but gosh, it was one of the smartest, most courageous things I have ever done.  I get annoyed now thinking of the people who tried to convince me not to go through with it.  I can't imagine how uncomfortable I'd be if I hadn't had that surgery.

Honored Contributor

I had the surgery when I was 19.  I had one side done.  I'm sure the process has improved significantly since then.  I remember having to take a month off work; the wrap around my chest; stitches being removed; no remembrance of any discomfort or pain.  I lost some feeling in the breast.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@marky,   You should not get nauseous because there have been great improvements in the medicine they give you.  Make sure you have comfortable tops and pajamas tops with buttons.  You may not feel like raising your hands over your head.  Best of luck to you.  You are going to feel like a new person and no more backaches.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Yes, that is a good point about the improvement in medications for nausea.  My surgery WAS over ten years ago.  I did have surgery two years ago and told them how sensitive I was to anesthesia and they gave me "the patch."  I think it was Trans-Derm Scopal?  I was absolutely fine after this recent surgery.  Those patches are incredible.

Respected Contributor

I have had breast reduction surgery twice ....Was absolutely the

best thing I have ever done for myself ....Not much discomfort

at all ....

And I agree the anti-nausea meds are great now ....

Cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am having done this ....You

won't regret it ...Wait until the first time you can button a shirt with no

gabbing !!!

Respected Contributor

In fact the second time I had it done it was as an outpatient ....

Respected Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I have had breast reduction surgery twice ....Was absolutely the

best thing I have ever done for myself ....Not much discomfort

at all ....

And I agree the anti-nausea meds are great now ....

Cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am having done this ....You

won't regret it ...Wait until the first time you can button a shirt with no

gabbing !!!

Obviuosly I meant gapping !!!