Honored Contributor

I had a mastectomy this past July and want to know what your experiences were months later. At this point around my breast area, the nerves are coming back which includes itching and tingling. Did anyone of you experience this? And did you still have swelling?

Thank You.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer Surviors

[ Edited ]

I'm not able to answer your important questions from my own experience. I've included links to sites that are active forums of breast cancer survivors. They readily answer questions just like yours.  

Same as you ask for help from these QVC forums, you can get in depth responses in forums dedicated to women sharing your own experiences and treatments. And unlike this QVC  forum, you can ask for people to contact you directly or ask for their contact information so you have their support and direct access to women who could be friends as well as advisors. Also, trained oncology professionals contribute to the forums linked below. They answer questions, too. 

https://www.breastcancer.org

https://forum.breastcancernow.org

https://www.cardonations4cancer.org/blog/top-10-breast-cancer-online-support-forums/

I hope you have a successful full recovery and you are able to have your questions answered to your satisfaction.

Hope I helped. Have a healthy peaceful new year ahead. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer Surviors

[ Edited ]

3 year survivor here.  Did not have a mastectomy, but 2 lumpectomies--one was right on the nipple and let me tell you--when the nerves started regenerating, I thought I was going to punch someone.  So yes, what you are experiencing is normal.  And by normal--please put that in air quotes because everyone is different. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Also talk to your oncologists--they can recommend things to help--there is a 'magic' potion of lidocaine and aquaphor that helped.  I got it from the radiation oncologist.  And yes--there will be swelling for awhile, but if you are concerned--talk to your surgeon and oncologist--they can confirm the normality of it all.  I know you see them a lot LOL!  Your life becomes one never ending doctor appointment for about a year.

Frequent Contributor

I also had a mastectomy a few years ago and I did experience itching and tingling in the area. It will eventually get better so just hang in there. I still have a little numbness due to nerve damage but nothing I can't handle.

Good luck in your recovery if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I can try and help you as much as I can.

Regular Contributor

8 year survivor here.  Had three surgeries with partial mastectomy.  Would only have needed 2 surgeries with an average surgeon but I had a low-quality one.  At this point, I would say most scar tissue is softening but every once in a while I get a sharp pain which surprises me.  Nerves may take a while to regenerate, I guess.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

I did not have a masectomy but I did have a lumpectomy/radiation 7 years ago.  I did experience some tingling as healing went on.  It takes many months to completely heal from any surgery so what you are feeling is pretty normal.  Always consult with your cancer team when you have questions and concerns.  They were very helpful to me.  To this day I experiance tenderness in my breast most likely from the radiation.  It does harden the tissue that was radiated and causes it to be sensitive.  My radiologist suggested massaging the area when I am in the shower.  It does help.  I also do some exercises which you can find online.  Best of luck for your recovery!!

Regular Contributor

Hi @JaneMarple  I just had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction 3 weeks ago today! 🤪 I have a great team of doctors here at Mass General. I've been living at the doctors' offices these past 2 months! My breast cancer was discovered during a routine, yearly mammogram, out of the blue.

The NP told me last week that it will take about 6 months or so for everything to settle in. I have sweling still, of course, but I swear I felt I could have gone right back to work two weeks ago, and still doing great right now!! 😊 (with 2 more appointments end of the week!) 🤪

Sorry I can't help more (just yet) but I am wishing you and everyone else here the best in recovery! 

Honored Contributor

Not a breast cancer survivor but my mom was.

Just here to wish you continued better health.

Trusted Contributor

Yes.  It calmed down, although still itches once in a whille, but much, much, less often.  I did not regain normal feeling but am ok with that. 

Do the math.