Occasional Contributor

Re: Botox for chronic migraine. Has anyone tried this?

I have a friend who has and it helped her immensely! Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat Wondering how you're making out with the botox injections?  

Respected Contributor

House Cat: what else have you tried? Before I went the Botox route I'd exhaust everything else! Maybe you have. From age 8 I suffered horrible migraines! By 35 they were so bad I didn't make any plans ahead of time! I got at least 5-6 dehabillitating headaches per week! I mean the ones where I had to go to bed for hours, I'd get violently nauseous and light and noise were unbearable. Finally, after I had my ds my ob suggested a clinic to me. I ended up at The New England Clinic for Headaches near Greenwich, Ct.  They told be to expect to spend the whole day there and I wouldn't be sent home until they had a plan for me! I was diagnosed with common migraines as opposed to classic ones. I didn't get an aura. They had me take vitamin B and magnesium. I was to keep a headache diary for two weeks. When I returned they recommended a low dose anti-depressant . It was like night and day! It took several tries to find the right one but once they did I went from 5 headaches a week, that sent me to bed, to one minor headache every three or four months! I got my life back! Not back, I actually finally had a life! Then, Imitrex came out! The shots did nothing. They tried the pills and BINGO! I haven't had a migraine that sent me to bed since! I only told you my story because I can't imagine anyone could suffer any worse than I did! I am not exaggerating in the least! I missed 100 days of the 180 days my senior year in high school! So, maybe you have tried it all. But, if not, I'd try everything else before I got those injections!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@house_cat

Quit teaching junior high! Cat TongueCat WinkCat LOL

That might help! I taught 8th grade French before teaching 6-8 autistic kids!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens Obviously I can't speak for housecat, but I wouldn't be surprised if she already has tried just about everything else.  I know in my case, all other avenues were exhausted.  It seems that the Dr's use Botox as a last resort when all else fails.  At least that's how it was explained to me by my doctor.

Like you, I don't get an aura and I was diagnosed with migraine common.  Anti-depressants also worked for me, but only for so many years and then we had to explore other options.  

I'm glad you have finally found some relief.  

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Imadickens Obviously I can't speak for housecat, but I wouldn't be surprised if she already has tried just about everything else.  I know in my case, all other avenues were exhausted.  It seems that the Dr's use Botox as a last resort when all else fails.  At least that's how it was explained to me by my doctor.

Like you, I don't get an aura and I was diagnosed with migraine common.  Anti-depressants also worked for me, but only for so many years and then we had to explore other options.  

I'm glad you have finally found some relief.  

I figure she probably has! I hope my routine keeps working! I found it at about 38 and am 60 now! I get allergic to meds by injection so easily I don't know if I'd be a candidate! I hope you keep getting relief from the injections! It took many trials to find the right combo for me! I don't know what I'd do if I had to try again!😳

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

I've tried everything else.

I didn't get the shots yet, due to a little insurance glitch. I'm scheduled for next week.

If it doesn't help, the next step is sinus surgery, which I've been hoping to avoid.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the update @house_cat.  Good luck next week.  Please keep us posted! Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Imadickens

I've tried everything else.

I didn't get the shots yet, due to a little insurance glitch. I'm scheduled for next week.

If it doesn't help, the next step is sinus surgery, which I've been hoping to avoid.

Yikes! That sounds involved! My dd got cortisone shots in her sinus cavities to break her chronic infections! It worked! Before the shots she had a sinus infection every month! After, she went five years between shot and infection! I hope the Botox works for you! So, they think your migraines are triggered by sinus? Before I went to the New England Headace Clinic, I was sure my headaches were sinus! I thought I didn't have any migraine symptoms... No aura, etc. when I got a headache I slathered Vicks on my chest and in nose, got hot water bottle, as hot as it could be, and went to bed in a dark room! If I could fall asleep I usually woke feeling better! But, my brain would be sore for several,days after, or until my next headache! At one point my cousin, whose dad was Doctor took a med for her sinus headaches. I got a script for the meds, too. Can't remember the name, but they were pink pills and started with an "N". Not  Neurontin, but something to that effect. Good luck!