Honored Contributor

Has anyone had a bone spur on their shoulder?  I have one it really hurts.  Trying to avoid surgery, I had rotator cuff surgery 2 yrs ago, and the physical therapy was unbearable, trying to avoid going through that again!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty 

Sorry to read this. I have had a separated shoulder, where bursitis has limited that movement, over the years. Partially torn right rotator cuff several times, including the present. Been doing my own home PT to improve that rotator 3-4 times a week.

Hopefully your doctor can find a solution for you short of surgery. I know shoulder pain can deal you a fit, even having pain with just minimal movement. 

Best to you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Hooty     I have a shoulder impingement due to a few bone spurs in my right shoulder.  Have been dealing with this for several years and have had, like you, physical therapy which, in itself, is miserable.  I've had cortisone shots as well but they don't last long, so I remember what the ortho told me.  He said, do the home exercise a few times a week to help keep it under control, or find yourself back here again.  That's what I've been doing. 

I've also found that sleeping on that side is very difficult because of the pain it can cause, so I've been putting a piece of covered memory foam wedged under my pillow when I turn on that side.  It helps me keep my shoulder sort of elevated on the pillow when I turn to lay on that side, therefore easing the pressure off the shoulder.  It  does help.  Perhaps you can try the memory foam as well as trying to do some shoulder strengthening a few times a week.  It's not going to totally resolve it, but it does help quite a bit and makes life easier. 

I'm sorry you have to deal with this as well. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@hckynut Thanks, I have arthritis really bad in both my arms, and my medicine doesn't really help, I just hate getting old!

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella No, I cannot sleep on the right side, it takes awhile for me to get situated, I use an extra pillow to help out, I am most comfortable in my Lazy-boy recliner, when I had my rotator cuff surgery, I slept in it for 2 mos., I guess I may have to sleep in it for the rest of my life! 

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

@Hooty  I tried the extra pillow but it was too big and I couldn't get it to a position where I was comfortable.  That's why I tried the memory foam wedge.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: Bone Spur on Shoulder

[ Edited ]

@Hooty wrote:

@ciao_bella No, I cannot sleep on the right side, it takes awhile for me to get situated, I use an extra pillow to help out, I am most comfortable in my Lazy-boy recliner, when I had my rotator cuff surgery, I slept in it for 2 mos., I guess I may have to sleep in it for the rest of my life! 

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it!

i have a flexible base Sleep Number bed that really has helped with my pain. The base can be adjusted as well as the firmness of the mattress. I had slept in my Lazy Boy exclusively before getting it.  Currently we are at our vacation home, and I sleep in my Lazy Boy every night. Just not as comfortable in my bed here.

Honored Contributor

@On It , it's amazing how when you are in pain how good a recliner can feel, I never thought I'd be able to sleep in a chair but you'll do just about anything to be comfortable when you are in pain!  Your tempurpedic sounds wonderful!

Respected Contributor

Re: Bone Spur on Shoulder

[ Edited ]

@Hooty wrote:

@On It , it's amazing how when you are in pain how good a recliner can feel, I never thought I'd be able to sleep in a chair but you'll do just about anything to be comfortable when you are in pain!  Your tempurpedic sounds wonderful!

Will it sound better when I tell you it is a Sleep Number not a Tempurpedic? I am having one of my "less than wonderful" days.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@hckynut Thanks, I have arthritis really bad in both my arms, and my medicine doesn't really help, I just hate getting old!

@Hooty 

I too have arthritis in many parts of my body. My spine/hands and fingers primarily. The only med I can safely take is Tylenol. Other than opioids, most all other pain meds, have blood thinning properties.

With my Colon bleeding issues and the Anemia caused by it, my 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies and 130+ blood transfusions?  I will stay away from any type of thinner unless it is a matter of living or dying.

Getting old? Had my share of problems, but I am happy with my life. Just got back from 2 hours of mostly hard ice skating. Other than being tired and a little stiff? Will work on my recovery so I can skate Wednesday. Chronological age to me is only a number.

Hope you get help for your shoulder pain. My best to you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)