Respected Contributor

Has anyone had this test?  What's involved?  I have to have one soon.

Respected Contributor

It's one of the easiest tests to have.  You just lay on a table, fully dressed, and the machine goes over your hip area.  It takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes.  That's it.

Honored Contributor

I've had a couple, the last one a few years ago.  Nothing to it.  No prep.  As I recall, I was laying on a table fully clothed and the machine scanned my hip area.  The procedure may have changed but that is what I recall.

Contributor

I've had a bone density test done twice.  I laid, fully clothed, on a table and the technician starts a scanner that passes over your body twice.  They are testing the pelvis and sternum bones for density.  I didn't even have to remove my shoes.  The test took less than 5 minutes.

Frequent Contributor

I had to put a gown on because I had some metal grommets on the top I was wearing.Apparently the metal will effect the test.

Honored Contributor

Do not take any calcium supplements the day of testing. Wear metal-free clothing...no bras with hooks.

Honored Contributor

I started having them when I was 50 years old.  I was told I had osteopenia a couple of times, and last year it was mild osteoporosis.  I'm getting Prolia injections every six months now for it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@fortuneI just had one. It's a very easy test. You are lying on your back and they take pictures of your hips and spine. I had to lay in different positions as well. Don't take your calcium supplements the day of the test and wear comfortable clothes without any metal, zippers. So jogging pants or leggings and a tee and you'll be fine. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Esteemed Contributor

I get one every 2 years.  It is the most painless test that I have ever had.  The EMG is another story!

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Has anyone had this test?  What's involved?  I have to have one soon.

Why do you need the test?

I need one also, I have a diagnosis that makes my bones & teeth weak