Honored Contributor

Unless you've had an abnormally low density score, most healthy women need only get scanned every 2 to 3 years. If, however your score is low then yearly scans have been recommended.

Respected Contributor

This is interesting. I've had 3 or 4 of these scans in two different facilities, and no one has ever said anything about not taking calcium or Vitamin D beforehand. Wonder if the machine makes a difference.

If you lie down and have someone shine a flashlight over your hips and spine, you've captured the Dexascan experience from the patient side.

Respected Contributor

I'm really sorry for all those kind ladies who took the time to answer me.  Instead of a bone density test,  I have a Rx for a full body bone scan with radioactive dye.  Since I've had breast cancer, they want to check to see if it's spread to the bones.  The test sounds awful, and I'm really wondering if I have the endurance to take it.

They said that I was to come in early in the morning for a shot, drive home, and then come back in 3 or 4 hours for the scan, which takes about an hour.  I live about 30 minutes away from the lab.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bone Density Test

[ Edited ]

@fortune,

I know what you are talking about. That kind of scan is painless. You just lay on a bench and it moves you inside a scanning machine. The injection you will be getting beforehand will cause you to experience a brief metallic taste in your mouth... nothing to be afraid of. Clothing should be metal-free and don't wear any jewelry. 

I had a similar scan on my lungs with the injection and scan.

ETA: You can eat and drink normally. Be sure to tell you doctor about all meds and sups you are taking. Some might interfere with testing.

Good luck to you and I hope things come back okay.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Bone Density Test

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@software wrote:

@fortune wrote:

Has anyone had this test?  What's involved?  I have to have one soon.

Why do you need the test?

I need one also, I have a diagnosis that makes my bones & teeth weak

It's a scan used to determine your risk for bone fracture. Post-meno women are mostly at a higher risk than others. It's easier to treat thinning bones rather than to repair broken ones that may never completely heal in older people. @software

I know what it is and what it's for.

I was asking the OP why her doctor ordered it.

I've seen her reply

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Unless you've had an abnormally low density score, most healthy women need only get scanned every 2 to 3 years. If, however your score is low then yearly scans have been recommended.

Remember the Dexa scan does involve radiation like an X-ray. 

Honored Contributor

My doctor says every other year for a DEXA.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@fortune,

I know what you are talking about. That kind of scan is painless. You just lay on a bench and it moves you inside a scanning machine. The injection you will be getting beforehand will cause you to experience a brief metallic taste in your mouth... nothing to be afraid of. Clothing should be metal-free and don't wear any jewelry. 

ETA: You can eat and drink normally. Be sure to tell you doctor about all meds and sups you are taking. Some might interfere with testing.

@SilleeMee wrote:

@fortune,

@SilleeMee

Thanks so much, Sillee, for taking the time to describe your experience! 16x16_heart.png

Respected Contributor

I was denied a dexa scan right there at the imaging center because I was asked if I had taken calcium within the last 24 hrs and since I said yes, I was told to reschedule. Since that test required a referral I didn't appreciate being told after I got there instead of when the appointment was made. 

Also, there is a dexa scan they routinely do for osteoporosis and a full body scan which tells you much, much more about what's going on inside your body...including your real bmi and fat content, muscle content, etc. To get the full body scan you must discuss that with your doctor.  

Respected Contributor

@fortune wrote:

I'm really sorry for all those kind ladies who took the time to answer me.  Instead of a bone density test,  I have a Rx for a full body bone scan with radioactive dye.  Since I've had breast cancer, they want to check to see if it's spread to the bones.  The test sounds awful, and I'm really wondering if I have the endurance to take it.

They said that I was to come in early in the morning for a shot, drive home, and then come back in 3 or 4 hours for the scan, which takes about an hour.  I live about 30 minutes away from the lab.

@fortuneGood luck fortune and let us know how it went if you're up to it.  Prayers your way!!