Honored Contributor

Each lab establishes their own set of test ranges to include results from normal to abnormal in both directions. Those numbers are posted on lab reports next to the test finding for that patient. Labs don't compare with each other. Labs compare their results to standards given by accredited associations.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Each lab establishes their own set of test ranges to include results from normal to abnormal in both directions. Those numbers are posted on lab reports next to the test finding for that patient. Labs don't compare with each other. Labs compare their results to standards given by accredited associations.

@SilleeMee 

I have never liked seeing or hearing the results of my blood tests, any of them, as Normal. I want numbers. What you've stated is pretty much the reason I like my doctors consistently using the same labs.

I made telephone wires for over 25 years. The good/bad specs could be as small as .001 on eccentricity or wall thickness. Over those numbers could mean a breakdown in a 500 pair telephone cable, my landline.

With my 3 or more weekly blood draws, for 7+ years, I was/am very aware of the major difference in a 2.5 and a 2.9 INR.

Those or even less tenths could mean my Colon possibly bleeding or not bleeding. Serious stuff in those 1 tenths, and different labs may just have a +.1/-.1 in their "normal" range. For me, that's too much, unless it's my doctor's same lab. With that I know that specific lab's "+/-".

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@rockygems123  The bag  I originally received is big, and yes the same brand. It will last forever!  

My last dexa scan was stable..I declined medication after taking boniva for years.  Originally I posted that my last scan showed GOOD results...upon a better explanation from my doctor, the results were OK...I did not have any bones loss and a moderate improvement...but I will take no loss and moderate improvement vs taking a drug.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    LabCorp handles the blood work testing.  I paid $60.00 for two full pages of different levels checked.  

Well worth the money.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee    LabCorp handles the blood work testing.  I paid $60.00 for two full pages of different levels checked.  

Well worth the money.

@Mom2Dogs 

Yes, that's a great price and it pays to go to health fairs. I use to volunteer my services at local health fairs here...doing lab testing.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @SilleeMee  and @hckynutjohn.  Better to have your blood work done at the same lab.

It happened to me several years ago when a really scary blood test came back awful when I did it with my GP.  I alwlays do it with my hematologist.  Long story short, he resubmitted it as he knows me for a long time before telling me.  I freaked out.  He said go back to your hematologist which is hospital affiliated in 2 weeks and take the test again.  

Guess what?  It was in the normal range and I was so upset for a few weeks.  Try to stick with the same lab if at all possible.

Respected Contributor

You are absolutely right; most med schools just do a drive-by when it comes to providing information about supplements.I actually introduced my dr to tart cherries as an antedote for gout inflammation. Next time I saw him he told me how much he appreciated the tart cherry recommendation and that he had tried it and it help his symptoms right away. I  should have sent him a bill!

It is also important not to overdo supplements. Some are toxic in high amounts. They can also render some prescription meds you take ineffective or cause negative interactions. Best to let your dr know if you are taking lots of them.