Respected Contributor

Yesterday, the lab I go to for blood work had this sign posted. Thought some here might want to know if you're taking this supplement.

The FDA urges the general public to that know that biotin is found in many over-the-counter supplements in levels that may interfere with laboratory tests. Examples include:

• B-complex vitamins
  • Coenzyme R
  • Dietary supplements for hair, skin, or nail growth
  • Multivitamins
  • Prenatal vitamins
  • Vitamin B7 supplements
  • Vitamin H

Patients should tell their healthcare practitioners if they are taking or plan to take biotin or a supplement containing biotin, and consider the possibility that biotin was the cause of test results that don't seem to make sense. Healthcare practitioners may advise their patients to discontinue taking biotin supplements a few days before having lab tests done.

The FDA will continue to monitor reports of adverse events of biotin interference with immunoassays and will update the public if significant new information becomes available.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

The FDA warned about this last year.

People taking different kinds of supplements and "double dipping" certain ingredients.

A man was having a heart attack but his blood work came back negative.   It was blamed on him taking too much biotin.  He didn't get the treatment he needed and died.

It also interferes with thyroid tests.

Supplements are not necessary and can be dangerous unless prescribed by a physician.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we should always let our health care provider know what supplements we are taking, as they could also interfere with the absorption of some of our prescription meds as well.

All of my Dr's know I take it, along with other supplements and approved it.

Before I start a new supplement, I always ask my Dr. if it will interfere with my current meds or anything.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@softwareMy PCP won't even talk about supplements.  My opthalmalogist recommends an Omega3 for my severe dry eye and I'm not even sure that helps.

Honored Contributor

@StarpolisherThanks for posting that list.  I'm not taking anything on it currently, but It's good to know and I hadn't seen the warning before.

Respected Contributor

Re: Biotin and blood work.

[ Edited ]

I take Andrew Lessman's Biotin for skin, hair and nails.  I showed it to my Dr. before I took them and she said this was perfectly safe for me to take.  However, she did say that it would influence my blood work, especially my cholesterol count, so I should stop taking them a week before.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Yes, we should always let our health care provider know what supplements we are taking, as they could also interfere with the absorption of some of our prescription meds as well.

All of my Dr's know I take it, along with other supplements and approved it.

Before I start a new supplement, I always ask my Dr. if it will interfere with my current meds or anything.

I wanted to add that I was told to take Biotin by my Derm for thinning hair (tests were done to rule out thyroid or any other medical issues), but not before he looked at all my meds, including supplements.

I was also told to take Vitamin D for my osteoporosis by my Endocrinologist.

My GP Dr. has me on 2 Krill oil capsules (Omega-3) a day and it's lowered my cholesterol to the point that I haven't needed prescription meds in several years now.

Not all supplements are bad, you just need to make your health providers aware of everything you're taking.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Taking any supplements have been discussed long before the FDA posts.

Blood work can be altered by many things (including poor handling by all involved).  Your food or beverage intake a couple of days before a test can dramatically alter an outcome.  That is why fasting and refraining from many things is always recommended before tests.

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals  Hmmmm.  I take that same supplement for several years now.  I wonder if it would raise or lower the cholesterol readings (I get that checked every spring).  BTW, that AL supplement makes EVERYTHING grow.  I don't like that I have to cut my toenails so much more often now!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Neither the AL supplement or any of several brands of biotin I took for over a year did a thing for me.  I already had thick hair but have horrible nails.  After taking this stuff, they were still horrible.  Useless.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment