Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best advice for knee replacement recovery....

I just had my knee replacement 3+ weeks ago, so have some recent experience to pass along to you:

1. Follow all discharge instructions given to you at the hospital.

2. Make sure your surgeon has given you a prescription for physical therapy prior to your surgery. This should include number of times per week and number of weeks. You should follow up with your insurance to make sure that the number of PT sessions required are covered, so that you don’t get surprised by a “You owe this much” on a statement later on.

3. Do the exercises at home as instructed by your physical therapist. Make sure they give you a hand-out with pictures and instructions on how to do the exercises. Some therapists will draw stick figures. If this is done, make sure you understand what the stick figure is doing.

4. If you’re having a huge challenge stretching your hamstrings at home, ask your therapist for a piece of black theraband that you can hook around your shoe, to raise your leg.

5. Make sure you’ve arranged to rent or purchase a walker and cane. Go to the medical supply place and try out the various models. Walker: I didn’t pay enough attention to the wheels. Look for a walker that has larger, fatter wheels. These wheels will allow you to navigate over various surfaces and cracks in driveways or sidewalks much better. Canes: if your replacement is on the right knee, you will use the cane in your left hand. If the replacement is in your left knee, you will use the cane in your right hand. In order to determine the height of cane you require, go to Walgreens, other large drugstore, or medical supply company. I purchased mine at Walgreens for $28 – as a matter of convenience). Once you’re in the store, pick up a cane in the hand that won’t be using the cane and bring it over to the hand that will be holding the cane. The arm and hand should simply be at your side. Now look for the boney prominence in your wrist that sticks up (it’s on the little finger side of your arm). Bring the cane over to that boney prominence. It should be just that high. If it isn’t try another cane, then another. Keep in mind that the metal canes are adjustable, for the most part, but the wooden canes are not.

6. Be sure to let your surgeon know if something doesn’t feel right, you have more pain than you should, you’re experiencing areas of redness in the extremity or discharge from your incision. I experienced something that no one having a knee replacement should, so brought it up. We are working through this now; however, I haven’t yet noted any improvement in this issue or a sub-issue which has arisen. At this point, my knee actually feels better than these other issues. Am very frustrated…

7. I did opt to get a bedside commode, as our toilet is positioned too close to the bathtub and I knew I wouldn’t be able to bend my knee sufficiently to sit on the seat. Am very glad I did this, as I also had a bad gut reaction to the post-op anti-biotic, so am still running to the commode, which I can keep close.

8. Before I had my surgery, I asked for some advice on this forum. One of the kind respondents said that she had purchased a few pair of inexpensive polyester slacks and trimmed the operative let short with pinking shears. I decided to do this and found slacks and pedal pushers for $9.97 from Blair. DH trimmed both left legs for me. It’s been great not to have the fabric over my surgical site and swelling. When I’m done using them, I won’t feel bad about getting rid of them.

9. If you have area rugs, you’ll want to roll them up and remove to your garage for storage so that you can get around safely with your walker.

10. Purchase a “PIKSTIK.” This is one of those things that has a grabber end and an end on which you place your hand to open the grabber. This is great for picking up things you happen to drop. What you don’t want to do is risk a fall or slip right after surgery.

11. Make sure there is adequate space on both sides of your bed for you to get in and out of bed. You may have to change the side of bed you sleep on based upon the surgical leg.

12. Have a pair of really decent athletic type shoes to wear (not ones that have been around for 6 years). This will provide stability and will also be necessary in therapy to provide a good standing base from which you can work.

13. Drink plenty of liquids. Take your meds when scheduled. And, realize that there is really no norm for recuperation, as this quite individual.

14. Make sure your bed is comfortable enough for you to sleep on your back. If not, as was my case, you may want to look into a really comfortable topper.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten a number of things, but my brain seems to be “on hold.” The best of luck to you at your upcoming appointment and knee replacement surgery.

Honored Contributor

It has been 2 years since my knee replacement, and to this day I still promote the surgery and recovery as positive experiences in my life, and am grateful for the chance to have my life back.

My suggestion is to totally wrap your mind around this procedure, and to doing whatever it takes to do well. Do not be concerned about a quick recovery, as this type of deep healing takes time, and a long term commitment. I went into the hospital knowing what was supposed to happen in the OR, what nursing was going to do for me as an inpatient, and I knew what to expect from physical therapy. I was absolutely determined to be a cooperative patient, and I LET NOTHING STAND IN MY WAY! Everyone I encountered told me they knew I would do well, because I was fully loaded with determination to make my surgery a positive experience. I have no negatives to share about my experience.

Prior to my surgery, I cleaned my house and stocked enough food for 3 months. I rearranged my furniture for easier movement throughout the house. Having raised toilets and an easy access shower, I was confident my house would accommodate me well through recovery, so there were no problems within my home environment. I do urge you to put your new knee into new shoes after surgery. I had bought new athletic shoes specifically for my therapy, but no one had really mentioned buying new shoes. When I went back to work and started wearing my Clarks shoes in the office, I had knee pain. My knee pain had totally disappeared with the surgery, so I was shocked to suddenly have pain again. Ultimately, I realized that my old shoes were broken in to accommodate an old knee and a foot that turned outward slightly from a degenerated joint, so I got rid of all my older shoes, and bought new ones, which immediately solved the problem.

I urge you to take your pain medications as prescribed; stay on top of your pain, and don't let it get control of you. Do not be concerned about long-term issues with the medication; your body will let you know when you don't need it anymore.

Without a doubt, surgery and recovery is a challenge, but I assure you the key is making up your mind to do it, and working hard to do the very best you can. My sincere wishes that all goes well for you, and I will be checking back for your updates.

Super Contributor

PATIENCE AND A GOOD ATTITUDE !!!!!

Valued Contributor

On 6/6/2014 Desi said:

Just remembered something important. Ask about banking your own blood ahead of time. They will save it for you. Not to scare you, but you lose a lot with this surgery and may need a transfusion, so your own is best when possible. Line up relatives and friends with the same blood type too.

Also, that cooling machine mentioned is heavy. Looks like a small canister vac and you have to fill it with ice if I remember right - you'll probably need help lifting and carrying it around, especially if you are using a walker or cane.

Banking your own blood is an excellent suggestion! My Mom did require a transfusion after her knee replacement surgery. Her doctor did not suggest doing this but in hindsight it would have been a great thing.
Super Contributor

One thing that is important during recovery and afterwards is to have a nonslip mat in your shower or bath tub. Even get an extra one in your bathroom to avoid slipping or falling.

My cooling machine was able to be disconnected for times when you need to move around. The rest of the time it is electrically driven and plugged into an outlet. The canister is a cooling machine filled with water and ice with tubes attached to the harness. It was great at keeping pain level and inflammation under control. Also had a pain pump for the first five days. If you lived near me you could use mine. Actually I had two from two separate surgeries. Mine was for shoulder but the attaching Velcro harness fits the knee very well too. Mine automatically were issued to me. One for the arthroscopic surgery issued from the doctor's office on my last visit before surgery and the other was attached to me when I awoke from surgery in the hospital after replacement surgery.

Super Contributor

I am a PT, and this advice is sound. Ice should be your friend...and use it. Keep the knee moving; I advise moving the knee every commercial. Do your exercises. Take your pain medication as prescribed; if it is not helping your, ask for something else. Touch your knee and the areas on each side of the incision and gently massage upward; get to know your tender areas. This is a great surgery. In fact, my husband will have this done within the year.

Honored Contributor

Hi all. OP here. I'm having just 1 knee done. My son said he would come and stay with me for a few days though he also has to work. He works close to where I live so will come over at lunch too. My parents live close too.

Thanks for all the info!

Trusted Contributor

I'm now 66 and had one knee replaced in 2012 and the other in 2013. I'm doing well. My advice:

If your surgeon/hospital offers an information session for knee replacement, GO. It really helps you understand the surgery and what to expect.

Get as fit as you can before the surgery and commit yourself to the rehab/exercise program afterwards. It's hard work, but well worth it.

Think about what kind of help you'll likely need after surgery and be sure you have helpers, transportation, easy food, assistive equipment, etc. lined up. The physical therapists at the hospital should work with you after surgery to help you determine if you can make it at home or if you need to go to rehab and will help you determine what equipment you need and to order it. I came home with a shower chair, a potty seat with arms, and a walker, and my husband worked from home and was available to assist me. I did fine and did not need to go to rehab. My surgeon covered the incision with a waterproof plastic bandage, and I was able to shower immediately with no problems. I had a visiting physical therapist come to my house several times a week for the first three weeks after surgery. They helped me work out how to get in and out of the shower safely, increase flexibility and strength, increase mobility, etc. -- and I didn't have to get out to go to therapy for those first few challenging weeks. Invaluable.

Take your pain medication after surgery. Some people want to be heroes, but this is a case where you need pain medication to be able to walk, do your therapy exercises, and do everyday things you need to do. Knee replacement surgery and rehab HURT. Take your medicine.

Complete recovery will take several months. Don't try to rush it. Be patient. Slow and steady.

Follow your doctor's and physical therapist's instructions.

Best of luck to you. Knee replacement isn't a breeze, but it is well worth the trouble. You'll feel so much better and be able to do so much more afterwards!

Honored Contributor

Well, my total knee replacement is scheduled for July 31.

Honored Contributor

That day will roll around before you know it. Wishing you well with your surgery and recovery. Just make up your mind to make the very best of the situation and let nothing stand in your way. I continue to view my surgery and recovery as one of the best experiences in my life, and appreciate my mobility, as well as being pain free after 13 years of suffering.