Super Contributor

Re: Benefits from balancing my blood sugar

For those of you who take cinnamon, do you use the Ceylon or Cassia? I just noticed the post from Shelbelle. Which one do you buy from Swanson's?
Honored Contributor

On 5/21/2014 Blubird said: For those of you who take cinnamon, do you use the Ceylon or Cassia?

As I said earlier I only take the one from Ceylon, the Cassia contains much more coumarin, which can be toxic. Swanson has the best price on True Cinn. from Ceylon.

Super Contributor

Full Spectrum True Cinnamon. Thank you. Now I have to check Mr Rebates.
Honored Contributor

In Stock , quick look
Save 45%
Retail $10.99
Swanson $5.99

Honored Contributor

Swanson does not participate in rebate sights. But if you sign up for their emails, they will send you lots of codes and discount offers. I order from them very often.

Super Contributor

Thank you.
Super Contributor

On 5/21/2014 BLH said:

Well, if you are a diabetic and you keep your blood sugar under control you are preventing yourself from have your legs amputated, going blind or having kidney problems. Every new diabetic should go to an orthopedic floor at a hospital and see all the noncompliant diabetics who have their legs amputated.

I was a teen when I was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and all the horror stories of the disease only made me feel like I would lead a short life. I was told if I made it to 40, I would be lucky. It affected me in reverse and there were a few years there where I ignored the diagnosis and was in denial.

I have known over the forty plus years of having had this disease many people who have succumbed to it who had absolutely PERFECT control of it, yet they didn't make it and they were ravaged by it. My BIL is one such person. He passed in his forties and did it all right. He was diagnosed at the age of 7, long before glucometers existed. For years we had no direct access to what our blood sugar was running on a day to day basis.

So I never play the blame game when I hear about a diabetic losing a limb, have retinopathy or any of the other multiple complications of this disease. Yes, I think it is of utmost importance to be compliant but we must always remember that does not necessarily insure a positive outcome.

This disease needs a cure and I have been hearing about one since the 60's and it has yet to happen. I am hoping in my children's lifetime, this will all just be a bad memory of a disease that took many lives prematurely.

Super Contributor

On 5/21/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 5/21/2014 serenity4ever said:

Good Morning! I think you are the first person I have ever heard that when their blood sugars were tightly controlled their vitiligo disappeared. A few years ago, the same thing happened to me and I have yet to really get an answer from both my dermatologist or endocrinologist as to why it completely disappeared. One said it had to do with the PH of my system..the other said it was because I was intolerant to gluten and once I pulled it from my diet, the vitiligo went away. Whatever it is, though, I love it that it is gone.

I have also noted that with good control, I am a much happier person. When my blood sugars are high, I end up depressed and so tired, I can't do what I want to do. Diabetes in itself is a round the clock job, so feeling badly by ignoring it and eating junk food isn't worth it to me anymore. No cake or cookies, pies or chips could ever be worth it to me risking a high blood sugar. I love my family and I want to be around as long as I can for them. Most of all I want to see my grandson grow up.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Only by controlling this disease will that ever happen.Smile

Another thing we had in common, could we be twins separated at birth?? lol! I feel awful when my bs is high too...my morning bs was 92!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I think it was stress related due to the fact I was seeing my doctor this week and I was worried about my A1C! I don't miss the goodies anymore either, NOTHING is worse then neuropathy, missing toes..etc!

Your morning blood sugars DID come down!!! 92 is wonderful! Another way to get morning highs down is to do some exercise. I often find I can drop from a 130 down to 95 just by exercising a half hour in the morning. Then I eat something...Smile

Respected Contributor

My fingernails had yellowed and when I lowered my blood sugar, they went back to normal.

Not for me, but diabetes can lead to fungal rashes, itching, vag yeast infection, sores that don't heal properly to name a few.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/21/2014 emmiesmom said:

Good Morning! I think you are the first person I have ever heard that when their blood sugars were tightly controlled their vitiligo disappeared. A few years ago, the same thing happened to me and I have yet to really get an answer from both my dermatologist or endocrinologist as to why it completely disappeared. One said it had to do with the PH of my system..the other said it was because I was intolerant to gluten and once I pulled it from my diet, the vitiligo went away. Whatever it is, though, I love it that it is gone.

I have also noted that with good control, I am a much happier person. When my blood sugars are high, I end up depressed and so tired, I can't do what I want to do. Diabetes in itself is a round the clock job, so feeling badly by ignoring it and eating junk food isn't worth it to me anymore. No cake or cookies, pies or chips could ever be worth it to me risking a high blood sugar. I love my family and I want to be around as long as I can for them. Most of all I want to see my grandson grow up.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Only by controlling this disease will that ever happen.Smile

Another thing we had in common, could we be twins separated at birth?? lol! I feel awful when my bs is high too...my morning bs was 92!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I think it was stress related due to the fact I was seeing my doctor this week and I was worried about my A1C! I don't miss the goodies anymore either, NOTHING is worse then neuropathy, missing toes..etc!

Your morning blood sugars DID come down!!! 92 is wonderful! Another way to get morning highs down is to do some exercise. I often find I can drop from a 130 down to 95 just by exercising a half hour in the morning. Then I eat something...Smile

Thats good to know! Yes, things are looking better!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West