Honored Contributor

Re: Been reading a book on giving up sugar.

On 11/22/2014 cosmic1 said: Vegetables and starchy vegetables all provide carbs. I think people forget that. So does fruit, but I stick to low sugar fruit like berries and melons. I like the idea of a paleo type diet with plenty of healthy fats that are not processed. I cook all my own food now and that has made a huge difference in how I feel and I don't have to count calories or anything to maintain my weight. It's very freeing and I found that I don't even crave snacks between meals. Not eating stuff that spikes my blood sugar means that I am always even keeled and I have zero cravings. It has nothing to do with willpower, just eat right and you won't crave the bad stuff. I always thought I was a hopelessly emotional eater until I went low carb and gave up sugar. I am not an emotional eater after all. Lol.
Good for you!!!! ITA!
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/22/2014 sidsmom said:
On 11/22/2014 Persephonel said: No sugar, no fat, no carbs...I'm a vegetarian ...what is there to eat?

Start with a starch base...sweet potatoes, Yukon potatoes, rice, quinoa....add a vegetable...a bag of frozen veggies or fresh steamed....and add a sauce, salsa, creamy sauces made with beans....have a lettuce salad w/ fresh fruit dressing and have a bowl of fresh cut up fruit for dessert. Eat until you're full. Satisfying, cheap & quick to fix....clean fuel. Your blood sugars will stabilize/lower, weight loss will occur and the amt of fiber? Constipation? No a problem. Follow up with lots of water, a little movement....good to go.

YOUR BODY REQUIRES CARBS EVERY DAY - without them you will die - you can not go carb free. Your body requires them to make energy - they are the fuel of your body. Your body also requires a small amount of fat every day as well.There are many vitamins you need that are fat soluble - that means they must attach to a fat molecule in order for your body to use them.If you desire to be a vegetarian I admire you for that - but you NEED to become very well informed about what your body requires and how to get those things. You really should spend a few bucks to see a nutritionist and LEARN about the proper way to be vegetarian.

ITA! Carbohydrates are what fuels your body. Carbohydrates fuels your brain. Every food on Earth has the micro-nutrients of C/P/F....even eating a head of lettuce, you get fats in your diet. Eat to Calorie Density. I was a vegetarian for yrs before I switched to lower fat intact...I was a Fat Vegetarian...lots of nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, fake soy meats...there's so much cra.p out there! Just eat whole plant foods that are 600 calories per pound...no counting. It's crazy simple.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Madisson said:

Qualitygal, good for you giving up sugar! I read a book called "Stop Only Sugar" (SOS), so we now use xylitol (Ideal brand). It has a small amount of Splenda in it also. It bakes cup for cup like sugar. Actually, someone on these boards recommended it to me. Her dietitian recommended it to her. It tastes exactly like sugar...no aftertaste.

I order it from netrition.com. They always have the most reasonable price.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and can cause many sugar-like issues (spiking your insulin level, for one) in your system. Natural stevia is the best and there are many that don't have an after taste.

Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Mrs Grace said:

Good for you ! Do it now, and you'll never get the diagnosis I did. Type 2 Diabetes.I am now in renal failure. We don't need sugar in our diets to survive. I have learned to live without it finally and it's not bad at all. You can wean yourself off it cold turkey or slowly but just do it !! Good luck !

Yes, you do need sugar to survive! It's called glucose and it's what your brain needs to function. What U don't need is excess processed white sugar.

Yes, I agree, start with small steps & eliminate processed foods with sugar & sugary drinks, as in soda.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 willdob3 said:

It has been about two years since I ate any sugar. No AS either. I gave that up years ago. Cold turkey is the only way that made sense to me.

I don't do much baking but I use pure stevia extract powder (only ingredient) when I do. I also use it in my coffee & tea.

I also eat low/unprocessed foods & I feel so much better - felt better right away even before losing any weight. And I've lost over 100 lbs.

Honestly, it was/is pretty easy for me. I love how I eat & never feel deprived. I made up my mind that I want to eat healthy REAL foods. I don't consider sugar filled foods an option anymore. It is not that I "can't" have them; I don't want those things in my body.

I bought mine from Amazon- it's so difficult to portion because it's soooo concentrated (& sweet!)! I also bought the liquid form (grapefruit seed extract [added as a preservative] is the only additional ingredient) and it's much easier to portion in my coffee. Absolutely no aftertaste in either product!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Goldengate8361 said:
On 11/22/2014 gonnab said:

I am a sugar addict and have been attempting to cut sugar from my diet. I have heart disease and I know all the consequences of sugar. I'm real good for a little while and then I fall back. Although my addiction is not to be compared to one of cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, I fully realize the difficulty in changing the habit. And now with the holidays and all the marvelous recipes coming my way, it is a constant battle!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but sugar addiction IS, in fact, alongside cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. in terms of damage to your body.

And when you give it up fully you'll realize it's a 'true' addiction even more. There's a withdrawal period- headaches, nausea, etc.

Respected Contributor

I've definitly have cut back on sugar but as long as my sugar levels are in the normal range, I'll probably never give it up totally. I've tried to make small changes, like putting cinnanmon in my coffee instead of sugar, things like that. I don't like splenda or other artifical sweetners and avoid them as much as I can, I'd rather use sugar, even it's a smaller amount. I've been working hard the last year to form better eating habits and work out more often. I've lost 18 lbs. and I am feeling a whole lot better. The last time I went to the doctor she was very pleased with all my test results and the weight loss.

Contributor

Great thread!! I Am a sugarholic. After dinner is the worst for me. I feel I have to have something sweet, brownies, muffins, cake or something and I have to have a pretty big piece to be satisfied. I also started reading a book about giving up sugar. For me I do feel it's an addiction because if I don't have something sweet I'm looking for something. I don't need it in coffee or during the day but after dinner is a problem. Usually a red delicious apple will help but now with the holidays, it's going to be Very hard for me.

Trusted Contributor

Who wants to live a life giving up everything ? In moderation, nothing will hurt you, is about not overdoing it. A holistic doctor on the radio today was talking about thanksgiving, and said take small amounts of what u like, and enjoy your day, people binge when they are deprived of what they like.that's what kills us!
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Goldengate8361 said:
On 11/22/2014 gonnab said:

I am a sugar addict and have been attempting to cut sugar from my diet. I have heart disease and I know all the consequences of sugar. I'm real good for a little while and then I fall back. Although my addiction is not to be compared to one of cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, I fully realize the difficulty in changing the habit. And now with the holidays and all the marvelous recipes coming my way, it is a constant battle!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but sugar addiction IS, in fact, alongside cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. in terms of damage to your body.
You can't be serious! Sugar is as damaging as alcohol, cigs or drugs? Not.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment