Honored Contributor

Re: Been reading a book on giving up sugar.

I don't eat any form of added sugar, and limit fruit consumption to berries and green apples. I sweeten with Stevia and Erythritol. I eat all dark green veggies, an egg and egg whites every day, no dairy or grain, and a smallish portion of nuts. Eighty pounds off, all of my medical tests excellent, all good. There's nothing I've given up that I miss very much. Also stopped cold, no "cutting back" no "trying" just stopped.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 gonnab said:

I am a sugar addict and have been attempting to cut sugar from my diet. I have heart disease and I know all the consequences of sugar. I'm real good for a little while and then I fall back. Although my addiction is not to be compared to one of cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, I fully realize the difficulty in changing the habit. And now with the holidays and all the marvelous recipes coming my way, it is a constant battle!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but sugar addiction IS, in fact, alongside cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. in terms of damage to your body.
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Persephonel said: No sugar, no fat, no carbs...I'm a vegetarian ...what is there to eat?

Start with a starch base...sweet potatoes, Yukon potatoes, rice, quinoa....add a vegetable...a bag of frozen veggies or fresh steamed....and add a sauce, salsa, creamy sauces made with beans....have a lettuce salad w/ fresh fruit dressing and have a bowl of fresh cut up fruit for dessert. Eat until you're full. Satisfying, cheap & quick to fix....clean fuel. Your blood sugars will stabilize/lower, weight loss will occur and the amt of fiber? Constipation? No a problem. Follow up with lots of water, a little movement....good to go.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 jubilant said:

I do believe we eat too much sugar. I have cut mine in half. I believe you can eat almost anything in moderation.

I agree - so many people on this BB are very radical about food. I honestly believe many posters here have eating disorders.

Trusted Contributor

If you are diabetic or really cutting sugar, do not eat bananas, or oranges, or citrus. Way too high in natural sugars. Well, maybe not lemons.

Bananas are healthy, they are high in vitamins and potassium, but you can get them in other sources. But one large banana has 17 gms. of sugar, is 125 calories, and 68 of those calories is from sugar !

A naval orange has 23 gms. of sugar, is a total of 132 calories, and 92 of those calories are from sugar. The same is in a glass of orange juice.

I'd rather eat those calories in some other form of food that is healthy and more filling, minus the sugar !

This is where they hurt diabetics, who often believe they are eating healthy by eating fruits instead of other foods.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 sidsmom said:
On 11/22/2014 Persephonel said: No sugar, no fat, no carbs...I'm a vegetarian ...what is there to eat?

Start with a starch base...sweet potatoes, Yukon potatoes, rice, quinoa....add a vegetable...a bag of frozen veggies or fresh steamed....and add a sauce, salsa, creamy sauces made with beans....have a lettuce salad w/ fresh fruit dressing and have a bowl of fresh cut up fruit for dessert. Eat until you're full. Satisfying, cheap & quick to fix....clean fuel. Your blood sugars will stabilize/lower, weight loss will occur and the amt of fiber? Constipation? No a problem. Follow up with lots of water, a little movement....good to go.

YOUR BODY REQUIRES CARBS EVERY DAY - without them you will die - you can not go carb free. Your body requires them to make energy - they are the fuel of your body. Your body also requires a small amount of fat every day as well.There are many vitamins you need that are fat soluble - that means they must attach to a fat molecule in order for your body to use them.If you desire to be a vegetarian I admire you for that - but you NEED to become very well informed about what your body requires and how to get those things. You really should spend a few bucks to see a nutritionist and LEARN about the proper way to be vegetarian.

Honored Contributor

My body gets LOTS of healthy carbs every day. I see a nutritionist and an excellent internist. They are thrilled with my progress. I am too!
Honored Contributor

I do believe we eat too much sugar. I have cut mine in half. I believe you can eat almost anything in moderation.

Hi jubilant. I agree with you that MOST people may be able to eat MOST foods in moderation. Just turns out that I'm not one of those people. I am virtually NEVER "satisfied" so I do need to impose on myself some sort of limitation or portion control. I do it by eating large portions of nutrient dense low calorie foods, largely veggies, and low calorie nutrient dense protein, mostly egg whites and some fish. Feeling great, so for me and for my health, this works Smiley Happy !
Respected Contributor

Vegetables and starchy vegetables all provide carbs. I think people forget that. So does fruit, but I stick to low sugar fruit like berries and melons. I like the idea of a paleo type diet with plenty of healthy fats that are not processed. I cook all my own food now and that has made a huge difference in how I feel and I don't have to count calories or anything to maintain my weight. It's very freeing and I found that I don't even crave snacks between meals. Not eating stuff that spikes my blood sugar means that I am always even keeled and I have zero cravings. It has nothing to do with willpower, just eat right and you won't crave the bad stuff. I always thought I was a hopelessly emotional eater until I went low carb and gave up sugar. I am not an emotional eater after all. Lol.
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 violann said:

Hi jubilant. I agree with you that MOST people may be able to eat MOST foods in moderation. Just turns out that I'm not one of those people. I am virtually NEVER "satisfied" so I do need to impose on myself some sort of limitation or portion control. I do it by eating large portions of nutrient dense low calorie foods, largely veggies, and low calorie nutrient dense protein, mostly egg whites and some fish. Feeling great, so for me and for my health, this works Smiley Happy !

I think over the years you have to find what works for you. I cannot eat a lot of raw vegetables....even though I love them. Sugar and red meat I know I overdid so those I have cut way back on. Whatever makes you feel better is good. Nothing quite as important as feeling as healthy as you can. I am glad your feeling so good.Smile