Trusted Contributor

BUYING BRAND NAME PRESCRIPTION MEDS FROM CANADA

I have been taking a generic med for 34 YEARS (same dose).  I noticed that when I got my new 90 day prescription, the color of the pill was slightly different and the exterior was shiny and smooth.  The pill I normally take was a deeper color and didn't have a shiny, smooth exterior.

After 3 days of taking the pill, I got a bad reaction.

I ran down to my pharmacy and spoke to the pharmacist whom I've dealt with for many years.

She said the mfgr must have slightly changed the formulation.  That's why the pill looked different.

She suggested I ask my PCP to request my insurance company to authorize payment for the brand name med because in that way I would be sure that the formulation would be the same (I'll be taking this med for the rest of my life) and I won't have to worry about that or manufacturers being switched.

I just got notice from my pharmacy that the brand name med would be available for pick up on Aug 3rd.

The price was $962.00 Smiley LOL  My 90 supply of the generic is $30.00.

Contacted my PCP.  He suggested I get the brand name med from Canada.

Anybody have experience getting brand name meds from Canada? 

Thanks so much for any info you may provide to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BUYING BRAND NAME PRESCRIPTION MEDS FROM CANADA

Yep, I live near the border and my PCP will send a 'script to a Canadian pharmacy.

You can legally import a 90 day supply of most meds into the US. Mine have been shipped Canada Post or FedEx.  I don't believe you can get scheduled drugs imported.

Check out a few pharmacies online for your meds and their strength. They may be different in CA. Understand many of their meds are imported and not made in Canada.

What your pharmacist knows and isn't telling you is that the country of origin for your prescription may have changed. Not the formulation itself. I had this happen once with a medication. I switched pharmacies to save a few bucks and I had a terrible reaction.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, one of my drugs is almost $800 out of pocket in the US, and it is $228 from Canada. I checked with my doctor who approved my ordering from Canada. I contacted a Canadian Medical Supply Store in Florida, sent them a script, authorized online payment, and in a few weeks, I had my medication. They call me every 60 or so days to find out if I want to renew.  My insurance company does not cover the cost, but I still am saving money.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, my BF and I have been doing so for 15 or more years.

If you have a kind Doctor his PA will fax the prescription to Canadian Pharmacy.  I highly recommend "Price Pro" in Vancouver.  Look at ratings.   Its wonderful and like another poster said up thread gives you a quick reminder call.  It's usually a 3 month supply.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pink123   I googled that company and when I did so the info I got was for the GENERIC I HAVE BEEN USING, not the BRAND NAME drug I was requesting.

I was doing fine on the generic until this last refill when the pill looked slightly different and after taking it I got an awful reaction.

If I continued using the generic from my local pharmacy it would cost me $30 for a 90 day supply!  That's less  than what the Canadian company would charge.

It's as of the BRAND NAME drug is not available???

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

@Pink123   I googled that company and when I did so the info I got was for the GENERIC I HAVE BEEN USING, not the BRAND NAME drug I was requesting.

I was doing fine on the generic until this last refill when the pill looked slightly different and after taking it I got an awful reaction.

If I continued using the generic from my local pharmacy it would cost me $30 for a 90 day supply!  That's less  than what the Canadian company would charge.

It's as of the BRAND NAME drug is not available???

No, not always as my BF uses the non generic brand and has been doing so for 7 years.

When you call please have the "real" name and ask if they have it.  For me I use them one generic and one "real".  but they save so much money. The generic does not agree with him either.  My late mother as well.

They are timely.  Have the name in hand please.  Best.

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda  if my pharmacy does not offer it check around for others.  Someone will.  They can come from the UK, Australia, etcetera.

Check, check....It's ridiculous.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Pink123   I will do exactly that!  Yes, I positively have the exact name of the brand I need.  Many thanks, again!!

Honored Contributor

I would like to know how to get prescriptions from Canada too. Can someone tell me how?

GoodRX has saved me a ton of money too. I just look up my medication and dose and send myself the code. I show the code at my pharmacy and get the lower price.

• One of my scripts has a $620 copay through insurance. GoodRX brought it down to $82 for a 90 day supply.
  • My generic inhaler has a copay of $520 through insurance. GoodRX brought it down to $34 a month.

Honored Contributor

Did you check with the Mark Cuban program, costplusdrugs?

It doesn't have all drugs but it's worth a shot.