Respected Contributor

@cherry Interesting! I have not heard of it officially, but I had students, bro and sis. Bro was def. Aut.! Sis, tho, we ALL believed was trying to get attention bro got! Mom found a doc who bought into the whole mess and girl played them like a fiddle until high school teacher finally got thru to girl, giving her what she needed w/o having to be sick!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens,  You and others might be interested in a thread @Noel7 started in Community Chat a couple of weeks ago:

AUTISM: New Discoveries, Genetic Connections & DNA Mutations

link goes to:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/AUTISM-New-Discoveries-Genetic-Connections-amp-DNA-Mutati...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I am no expert on Autism but have read quite a bit about it.  We have a 12 year old Grand Nephew who is on the spectrum.  He was conceived using a donor egg.   After years of research, my nephew and his wife learned, another egg of the same donor, resulted in a Downes baby. Truthfully, I do not know whether there is any significance to this.

Our GN was diagnosed when he was 4.  His mother (and I) suspected something when he was almost 2.  He was the most beautiful baby and toddler but he exhibited different behaviors.  He screamed whenever he had his diapers changed. He seldom made eye contact.  When he began talking, he'd repeat what you said to him, never giving his own response.  He had meltdowns that bordered on violent.

Lucky for us, after YEARS of intense therapy, he is a handsome & happy "normal-ish" 12 year old.  He still has some odd habits, but most kids do.

My teaching career started in 1971 and ended in 2003.  There was an always the odd loner. (usually a boy)  What was once considered lazy or unmotivated, became a child with a different learning style.  Fidgety students became AD. (which later became ADHD)

The only time I remember hearing the term Autistic was in reference to children who had little or no communication with the real world. (I remember Sly Stallone had an autistic son who seldom photographed)

The Autism spectrum is vast.  I suspect many of us older "normals" could find a place on that spectrum.

Super Contributor

I worked as a TSS and was always fascinated with autistic children.  What first caught my attention was a woman named Temple Grandin whom I am sure you are aware of (born in 1947), so that debunked my theory of mercury in vaccines.  Regardless, MMR shots causes too much 'protein' to enter the bloodstream at once--these three vaccines need to be given separately--at different intervals.

I did read an interesting article about fumes from automobiles/factories (odd I know), but what they found were families living near intersections, urban areas, had more cases.   Perhaps anecdotal evidence, but there is a correlation for both theories.  The ratio for autism spectrum cases has increased from 1:200 to 1:88 just in a decade.  This is alarming.  @Imadickens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

I worked as a TSS and was always fascinated with autistic children.  What first caught my attention was a woman named Temple Grandin whom I am sure you are aware of (born in 1947), so that debunked my theory of mercury in vaccines.  Regardless, MMR shots causes too much 'protein' to enter the bloodstream at once--these three vaccines need to be given separately--at different intervals.

I did read an interesting article about fumes from automobiles/factories (odd I know), but what they found were families living near intersections, urban areas, had more cases.   Perhaps anecdotal evidence, but there is a correlation for both theories.  The ratio for autism spectrum cases has increased from 1:200 to 1:88 just in a decade.  This is alarming.  @Imadickens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

That is interesting! Yes, I've been at conferences with Temple. She's an amazing woman and is a prime example of how more highly functioning kids on the spectrum were treated in the 50's! She didn't know she was autistic until she was an adult! I know the answer is out there, we just need to keep looking. I do think it's possible that something LIKE (I didn't say that was the answer!) auto emissions could be the cause! If it were genetic, I think it would have been found by now. It could seem genetic because the mother may be exposed to the harm for all her pregnancies. There is so much we don't know about how things effect us all these years later. Think about the Cancer clusters around high powered electric wires. We may all be surprised to find that many of the things we thought were new and wonderful may actually end up being very harmful.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains an external retail link