Esteemed Contributor

Re: As if I needed more sources of pain

@LilacTree, so sorry to hear about your incident.  If you are like me, you don't do the 'stay in and rest' well.  I hate to be laid up.

I have taken to carrying a small flashlight in my housecoat.  I have a Lab and she is always dropping a toy somewhere.  I am also the first up in the morning and I don't like to wake everyone so I use that to get me to the kitchen.  Maybe you should think about that.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@LilacTree, so sorry to hear about your incident.  If you are like me, you don't do the 'stay in and rest' well.  I hate to be laid up.

I have taken to carrying a small flashlight in my housecoat.  I have a Lab and she is always dropping a toy somewhere.  I am also the first up in the morning and I don't like to wake everyone so I use that to get me to the kitchen.  Maybe you should think about that.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!  LM

Yes I do!  Excellent idea Lilysmom!!  Thank you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@LilacTree  I have those nightlights that only light up when you move towards them all over the house, lol. They're nice because I like to sleep in the pitch dark, but if I get up to go to the bathroom, they come on. Same with walking into my living room to the kitchen. Check them out!

I've tried them several times.  They never stay up or they don't work.  I bought them from QVC.  I do have a nightlight in my bathroom.  Now that I think of it, all I have to do is leave that door open! 

Good ideas, everyone!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm glad you're no worse off right now. That must have hurt like the devil. Hope you feel better.  Yes, night lights!!!  (do they have wall bumper guards for people our age?) Woman Wink

Ah yes, it hurts like the devil all right.  Very sore.  

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@LilacTree-------Do take care and heal quickly. Do you wear glasses, did you have them on?  When I have my glasses on, walking in the dark, I have to shut my eyes or take off the glasses.  I can't walk in the dark with glasses. 

Anyway take good of yourself.-------tedEbear

I do wear glasses, but no, I didn't have them on.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the bathroom in a hurry (because I'm comfy & cozy and i keep procrastinating hoping I'll fall back to sleep) in the dark middle of the night, I know the route there and back by heart, but when I leave to go back to bed I've smashed my face into the edge of the halfway open bathroom door. OUCH! That sure wakes me up.

Respected Contributor

Ouch!  Sounds like something I would do - you take care!  I slipped on water in the basement years ago and fell backwards, just missing hitting my head on the kitchen table - no one would have found me for weeks!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@silver fox wrote:

You poor thing !!!!   These "golden" years are a joke !!!!

***********  My Dad is 87 and in a nursing home now.  Whenever someone speaks of "those golden years", he looks at them and tells them...."I'm here to tell you, it's fools gold"!

Sorry to hear about your "bump in the night" experience, Lilac Tree.  I am getting so I need to keep a light on as I have had a few close calls myself.  You're post made me realize I need to get serious about it.  I am glad you're daughter is around to help you.  It can get pretty frustrating when the pain piles up on you. 

Super Contributor

So sorry that happened to you. Ouch, that sounds painful. If you have a cell phone and keep it near you at night you can use that as a flashlight. When you turn them on they give enough light to help you get around without being too bright. I learned that from my son as he always said he doesn't need or want a flashlight, he just uses his phone. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Lilac Tree, I' so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you shared. A couple of weeks ago the same thing happened to me for the same reason. I slammed into the wall and fell backwards hitting my head on the kitchen table. I was lucky  and after a few minutes I ascertained that I was ok. From now on the lights go on.  It helps a bit to know I'm not the only one who did this. You be careful now , and so will I.

OMG, if I had hit the floor like that I wouldn't have been able to get back up! 

Thanks for letting me know though that I have plenty of company!

Formerly Ford1224