Esteemed Contributor

Re: Article on STATIN DRUGS AGING PEOPLE PREMATURELY.....

190-200 is not high enough to warrant drugs IMO.

Honored Contributor

IMO, statins may be the worst drugs out there.  I have a total cholesterol reading of 237, but my HDL is 82 and my triglycerides are 65, which are both excellent numbers.  My doc is ticked off that I won't take statins, but I have had this slightly high level of LDL all of my life and my body is used to it at age 77.  As one gets older, a slightly high total cholesterol means less, especially in women.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I am not privy to any information regarding the research, who did what, where, etc.  I'll keep my eye open for any additional research....

But it might be interesting to note that I was on a statin drug for a year (maybe longer I lost track) and then within a year thereafter developed diabetes.  I noted that one of the side effects (according to this article) is Diabetes.  Of course there is no way to prove cause and effect but there isn't Diabetes in my family and the timing was interesting.  

And as I mentioned there are many folks taking this drug successfully without any side effects and shouldn't worry at all about them..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

What is frightening is the amount of people on Statins because their Doctor said they should be on them..... Most patients  never questioning their  Doctor. Pharmaceutical companies push them....and give Doctors kickbacks for dispensing them.  Thus is true with most all deadly pharmaceuticals. The American patient is so jaded.......

Honored Contributor

No statins for me either, I use OTC CholestWise from Puritans Pride for the last 11 years to keep mine in check.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm not surprised. I don't trust doctors and despise taking drugs due to the side effects. At my age, I'm going to croak from something anyway, so the way I look at it, when the good Lord decides I have fulfilled my mission, so be it.

I have dozens of issues, but I take three meds.  If it was up to the docs I see, I'd be on 20.  Anything that goes wrong for me from here on out, that's what I'll die from.  So I agree with you entirely.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm not surprised. I don't trust doctors and despise taking drugs due to the side effects. At my age, I'm going to croak from something anyway, so the way I look at it, when the good Lord decides I have fulfilled my mission, so be it.

I agree with you 100%. For me, if a drug has side effects, I'll get at least one & I don't get the most common ones, I get the weird uncommon ones. It can take up to 18 days for side effects to show up for me but they DO show up & depending on the drug, it can take weeks for the side effect(s) to abate.In several instances the drug worsened the condition that it was supposed to treat so I stopped taking it. My doctor wasn't too happy but I told him that I'm not going to keep taking a medication that's just making things worse for me.

By not taking these chemical poisons (for me at least) I may be shortening my life but at least I'll have quality of life. I'd rather be able to live whatever life I may have rather than have my life extended & not be able to enjoy it because I was incapacitated by the very drugs that were prolonging my life.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my intolerance to medication but I was diagnosed with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities several years ago.

Respected Contributor

I posted previously about my concerns about statins and after reading further comments, I've made up my mind, I'm done with them.

My chlorestrol levels were first tested at the hospital I worked for when I was in my early to mid thirties.  I was thin, active and at that time did not consume red meat.  It pretty high then.  I didn't go on any statin drug until probably 10 years later when I started routinely going to a doctor.  Coincidentally, it was also at the time that high chlorestrol became a buzz word subject.

I have no family history of diabetes, heart disease and my last stress test indicated I have the heart functioning of a twenty year old.  Several of you have suggested natural alternatives and I thank you for that.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

190-200 is not high enough to warrant drugs IMO.

My cholesterol is 111 and my doctor wants me on preventative statins. If my levels were 190-200 I'd surely be on something to reduce those numbers!

"Pure Michigan"