Honored Contributor

Article: Hearing Loss Threatens Mind, Life and Limb

Just saw a refererence to this article on the HLAA (Hearing Loss Association of America) website.  It's from the NY Times:

A brief quote from article:

Now a growing body of research by his colleagues and others is linking untreated hearing loss to several costly ills, and the time has come for hearing protection and treatment of hearing loss to be taken much more seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/well/live/hearing-loss-threatens-mind-life-and-limb.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Article: Hearing Loss Threatens Mind, Life and Limb

I could never understand why hearing loss isn't treated like a serious medical issue! (well I guess it's due to saving money).  However in the long run if it helps people to cope with life and other medical issues better than maybe it would save insurance money in the long run.

BTW, my 93 year old mother has severe hearing loss and though she can afford to get decent hearing aids, many elderly cannot.  I think that's terrible!

Honored Contributor

Two huge new studies have demonstrated a clear association

between untreated hearing loss and an increased risk of

dementia, depression, falls and even cardiovascular diseases.

If diet can reverse cardiovascular disease, hearing could have the

same outcome.  Clean up the vascular system, have better

blood flow...and hearing loss could be reversed.  
It's all connected. 

Honored Contributor

I definitely think that my mother's hearing loss--she found it difficult to use hearing aids and mostly didn't--contributed to her dementia.  She was isolated and that is never healthy.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Just saw a refererence to this article on the HLAA (Hearing Loss Association of America) website.  It's from the NY Times:

A brief quote from article:

Now a growing body of research by his colleagues and others is linking untreated hearing loss to several costly ills, and the time has come for hearing protection and treatment of hearing loss to be taken much more seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/well/live/hearing-loss-threatens-mind-life-and-limb.html

I had a temporary loss of hearing that required a myringotomy. It was almost a month, and I got a taste of what hearing loss is like. I felt isolated and soon learned that people tire of having to repeat what they say. Even the staff I the ENT clinic didn't speak up, and they knew what my problem was. You do feel all alone, and you're afraid to talk on the phone because you just can't hear. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

My son keeps telling me to get a hearing aid. I only have hearing in the middle said the doctors. I keep stalling and don't know what to do. A lot of you here don't like them and stopped wearing them.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   I guess that will help my child who had spinal meningitis and lost his hearing.  Not!

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   Please focus on all the individuals who have had positive results with hearing aids.  

your son is trying to help you!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I definitely think that my mother's hearing loss--she found it difficult to use hearing aids and mostly didn't--contributed to her dementia.  She was isolated and that is never healthy.

@kaydee50   One son's is due to menigitis.  My hearing loss resulted from my occupation.  But some think if I would clean up my vascular system (which is no problem.  I have low cholesterol, hno heart, carotid disease, etc., and my scans are all appropriate for age.  In fact, some do not know it but atherosclerosis is a part of aging, but don't tell them..they would not have anything to preach to others about).

Valued Contributor

My Mother bought very expensive hearing aids, and they were on the kitchen table more than they were in her ears. Her complaint was that they amplified sounds she didn't want to hear along with what she did.

The sharp sounds of her little dog barking would give her a headache. Noise coming from outside that would bother her. There was no way to get just the sounds she wanted, so over $2,000.00 worth of medical devices laid on the table and she didn't hear the sound of her TV or radio. 

If she made a phone call she put them in, but if they were on the table and her phone rang she didn't have time to go get them. It was just a bother.

I would hope they have improved them, but hearing and dental are two medical problems of the seniors that don't seem to matter to either doctors or insurance companies.