Honored Contributor

Re: Article: Hearing Loss Threatens Mind, Life and Limb

Hearing aids serve no purpose if there is no hearing. My husband has no hearing, so hearing aids serve no purpose.  Hearing aids only amplify the hearing one has.  I have a long history of investigating hearing because so many in my family are affected.  Many people have hearing issues related to childhood diseases such as strep throat, tonsillitis, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

My son keeps telling me to get a hearing aid. I only have hearing in the middle said the doctors. I keep stalling and don't know what to do. A lot of you here don't like them and stopped wearing them.

Why would you listen to strangers rather than your son?  He knows and loves you more than anyone else in this world and you depend on him for everything. Please think of him and give hearing aids a try! 😀

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Don’t even get me started.  Oops, too late.  LOL.  

Hearing aids are expensive.  It’s always irked me to no end that insurance would cover a prescription to make sure a guy could still experience sexual pleasure but zilch for hearing aids.  Sorry for being blunt, but I believe hearing is more important than a guy being able to have an (fill in the blank). My audiologist told me a number of years ago how there are studies that have shown a strong connection between untreated hearing loss and dementia.  How many people out there do without because they are cost prohibitive for them?

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc

An audiologist can personalize the hearing aids. Mine have a volume control and programs for different sound situations. Each year when I have my hearing retested, the devices are adjusted. I can have additional program’s added as needed.

For those concerned about the cost - they are a tax deduction. And most hearing centers offer payment plans.
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFrench
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch.

Hearing aid coverage was specifically excluded from Medicare. No doubt that’s the reason no other insurance covers them .

Write your Congress Critters and urge them to add hearing aid coverage to Medicare!
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
@JeanLouiseFinch.

Hearing aid coverage was specifically excluded from Medicare. No doubt that’s the reason no other insurance covers them .

Write your Congress Critters and urge them to add hearing aid coverage to Medicare!

I’m new to the whole Medicare thing and selecting supplements, but I think the only one that has some kind of hearing aid coverage is Medicare Advantage.  Even so, there are many people who need aids way before they hit their Medicare years.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

True. I was 64 when I got my first hearing aids. They cost $4200. But I was still working and tapped my savings.

I paid for the two new sets the same way - from savings. I specifically saved money so I would be able to pay for those things that insurance didn’t cover: dental, hearing, vision. Tax deductible expenses.
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

My son keeps telling me to get a hearing aid. I only have hearing in the middle said the doctors. I keep stalling and don't know what to do. A lot of you here don't like them and stopped wearing them.

You should get one ,it will help you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I wonder if those hearing aids work that they advertise all the time on t.v. -- the ones where the man keeps asking his son to repeat that he loves him??  You can buy them at like Walmart,etc., and they are advertised as being hundreds instead of thousands of dollars.  I know many older people who have tried regular hearing aids and hated them.  And others who could not afford them.  

I agree that hearing loss does truly affect the quality of life.  Makes a person feel isolated and lonely.  Others often lose patience in dealing with people who have hearing loss.  I have a friend who can't hear well at all and she refuses to look into getting or trying them.  At times it is challenging because we will go out to eat some place and I have to talk very loud to get her to hear me and it is rather embarassing and I feel like we are bothering others around us.  I also think it is not right that Medicare does not cover this health issue.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin