Esteemed Contributor

I got my kit in the mail today. Any tips or advice?

I plan on doing mine on Monday...

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever do Cologuard?

@Nataliesgramma   I did several years ago and got a false positive.  I then had to have a colonoscopy, and when that showed nothing the gastroenterologist had me have another test.  I don't remember what it was called, but I had to drink a lot of chalky stuff and have x-rays.  They were negative, too.  

I would never do it again.  The gastroenterologist said he never recommends Cologuard.  It was my Internist who said I could do it instead of a colonoscopy.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma I did it. It was easy. Counter to the other post here, the stats show that is highly accurate. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I did the Cologuard this summer, and it was also recommended by my PCP for people with a lower risk. My advice is to read the instructions thoroughly (sounds like you've done that). You're doing yours on Monday and that's good since you want to get it in the mail as soon as possible after you do the deed. At first I thought it sounded complicated, but it's not - the instructions are very good.

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have both done this within the last year. Very easy and painless; I had had two colonoscopies in the past, with negative results.  The funny thing is you pop in its box and drop it off at UPS store, so you literally ship your s***!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma 

I've use at-home stool tests for highly personal reasons. They are very easy. Only advice I have is try not to mix urine with your stool sample; harder than it sounds. Get it in the mail ASAP.

Trusted Contributor

I took the Cologuard test a year ago.  .  It came back positive.  My gastro said I was not a candidate for a colonscopy, only virtual due to a bend in the colon discovered in my last colonscopy. 
Since the false positive rate is 13% I chose to do nothing.  
The Cologuard test cost Medicare $600.   A retest is not covered. I bought a test from A and tested myself. It came back negative. I redone the A test six months later, still negative.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Colonoscopy remains the gold standard, nothng replaces it for accuracy. 

Valued Contributor

@NickNack 

There are reasons one could get a positive stool test. I would not let this experience deter you from further testing. Sounds like your gastroenterologist had you go for a Virtual Colonoscopy with barium followed by a CT. It sounds like overkill to me to have all 3 exams, but I'm not a MD!

Respected Contributor

I wish I could use Cologuard In the last sixteen years I’ve had 45 polyps removed. Thankfully they’ve all benign. I have to have a colonoscopy every three years. If you use cologuard and it detects something then you will have to have a colonoscopy. What ever you have to do is so worth it. I’m so use to the prep for the test it’s nothing for me now.