Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Have To Get Rabies Shot?

[ Edited ]

I agree you are probably fine, but call a medical pro anyway-  I saw a Monsters Inside Me episode where a teen got rabies from a cat bite and it was unbelievable, the effects of that infection.
There are other infections that people can get from feral animals (ie, cat-scratch fever) so do be careful. 💝

Respected Contributor

DS was "nipped" on his calf by a Rottweiler in a local park last summer. It broke his skin and we couldn't locate the dog or its owner to see if it had been vaccinated, so DS was advised to get the rabies shots. He got a series of shots, beginning with some surrounding the bite and one each in his hip and upper arm. Then, he got 2 or 3 more shots in the arm at about a weekly interval. He said the initial shots weren't a piece of cake, but they weren't that bad, either. He had to get his shots in the emergency room, since most doctors don't keep the vaccine on hand. After his first session, they told him to say he was there for his rabies shot and they took him right in. 

Definitely consult with your doctor about the advisability of getting the shots. Although we live in the suburbs, we have foxes, raccoons, coyotes and all kinds of other "wildlife" traipsing through our yard on a regular basis. If your neighborhood is anything like ours, that kitten could have been exposed to a rabid animal. Our takeaway from this experience was that the shots aren't as bad as the horror stories you hear AND that they do not automatically euthanize the offending animal. In our City, if the owner can't show proof of vaccination, they quarantine the animal for 2 weeks. If it shows rabies symptoms, they euthanize it. If not, they vaccinate it and return it to its owner with a bill for the vaccination and kennel services. Finally, the vaccination provides protection for 3 years. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine feeds a couple of feral cats in Baltimore.  She's gotten scratched a couple of time, to the point of drawing blood.  Mostly, she's treated herself at home.  But a recent scratch seemed much worse that previous ones. She went to an urgent care facility and they put her on antiibiotics. 

Valued Contributor

If he didn't break the skin and draw blood, you are probably OK.  But, to put your mind at ease, contact your doctor.  If the doctor says to proceed with rabies shots, be sure to get pre-approval from your insurance company.  The cost could be $6,000 plus or minus.

Also, know that if you see your doctor, they will have to report it to the health department.  If the cat can be captured, they will do so.  I do not know the protocol for monitoring the cat once it's captured.  Anyone?

Three years ago, I approached a friendly orange kitty in my yard.  I was petting him and he was purring, and then he suddenly grabbed my head with both front paws and bit me under the chin. I think either a bird flew behind me, or he saw his reflection in my glasses and it startled him.  I asked on NextDoor to see if he belonged to someone who could provide proof of rabies vacciination, and no one indicated that he belonged to them.

I had to have a series of shots.  First, they give you a gamma globulin injection in your upper thigh.  That is the expensive devil.  Then you get a rabies vaccination, and you have to go back 2-3 times for additional shots.  I believe it took me a month to complete the series.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

As I understand it, its not a shot, its a series of shots and they're rather painful.  I'd call.my doctor and seek his advice.  I wouldn't be too concerned if the cat was not acting eratic in some manner.  Also, I think your tissue would have to be exposed to his saliva as in a puncture, scrape or bite.

The skin didn't break and the cat is not acting erratic so I don't think you have a thing to worry about.  However, call doc for advice.  So glad you're taking care of this cat.  

@San Antonio Gal 

I've never been a cat person - just dogs all my life, but, I care a lot about animals and don't want any to be hungry or suffer. This little cat, though, has kind of grown on me. He talks to me a lot, which makes me laugh. I always say " hi, kitty, how are you today"?.He answers with a "meow". As long as I talk to him, he just keeps meowing! So funny!😄😄😄😄

@Sapphiregal I have never been a "cat" person either.  Just dogs for me.  I do love all animals, but frankly, I don't think I  would put myself in a position where I could possibly get rabies and have to pay for all those shots.  Once you start feeding it, you can bet it will come back if it has no place else to go.  I would gladly try to capture it and hand it over to an animal shelter though.  What I don't get is why cats just roam around outside.  If they are someone's pet, why don't they get them fixed keep them inside?  Or are there a bunch of feral cats that breed and then the kitties are on their own?  And if you do have a pet cat that you take care of, and let it run free, aren't the owners worried it will get run over by a car?  I guess I just don't get cats or cat people.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:

If he didn't break the skin and draw blood, you are probably OK.  But, to put your mind at ease, contact your doctor.  If the doctor says to proceed with rabies shots, be sure to get pre-approval from your insurance company.  The cost could be $6,000 plus or minus.

Also, know that if you see your doctor, they will have to report it to the health department.  If the cat can be captured, they will do so.  I do not know the protocol for monitoring the cat once it's captured.  Anyone?

Three years ago, I approached a friendly orange kitty in my yard.  I was petting him and he was purring, and then he suddenly grabbed my head with both front paws and bit me under the chin. I think either a bird flew behind me, or he saw his reflection in my glasses and it startled him.  I asked on NextDoor to see if he belonged to someone who could provide proof of rabies vacciination, and no one indicated that he belonged to them.

I had to have a series of shots.  First, they give you a gamma globulin injection in your upper thigh.  That is the expensive devil.  Then you get a rabies vaccination, and you have to go back 2-3 times for additional shots.  I believe it took me a month to complete the series.

@lynne6was7 

I am baffled as to why insurance would require pre approval for payment. That's outrageous!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

I've never had a rabies shot, but I remember being terrified of the notion as a child.  The mother would tell us about how they take a GINORMOUS needle and poke it way into your stomach.   I mean, seriously - this needle was way way huge.  Not just kind of a large needle.   The picture in my mind is terrifying and it's probably why I was always scared of needles.  I pretty much got over that (although I won't look when I'm getting a shot!).  

I don't even know if any of that is/was true, but it was terrifying and I always thought of it when I saw a skunk or another animal who we were told could have rabies.

Bottom line - I hope you are ok either way and don't end up sick.   Chances probably are pretty good that there is no rabies.  That's my hope!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Sapphiregal I don't think that your insurance will require pre-approval for payment.  I'm just cautioning you to make sure your insurance policy will cover it because you don't want to end up responsible for the full cost.  The full cost on my insurance explanation of benefits listed $6,000.  Not the kind of unexpected bill anyone would want to receive.

Valued Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:

The only way to check an animal for rabies is to euthanize it as Rabies can only be diagnosed by direct examination of the animal's brain.

Super Contributor

@Puppy Lips  On Facebook there is always dogs and cats that are "lost". It makes you wonder how much they care about their pets.