Respected Contributor

Re: Another Co-worker problem...

You are doing the right thing in testifying honestly.  But feel good about this:  they are probablly already investigating him, and already know about his activities.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Worker's Compensation is insurance mandated by each state.  Your company carries the insurance policy, but the insurance company determines eligibility and for how long.

You company has no say in whether someone collects WC or for how long.

Each State's Dept of Labor office has a WC fraud hotline where people can report individuals.

Short Term Disability is usually 1-3 months and Long Term Disability usually picks up where STD leaves off.  Each company handles it differently.  Some companies outsource STD and LTD to third party insurance companies/adminstrators.  Some companies handle STD internally and LTD is outsourced.

Company disabillity is different than federal disability.  The threahold for company disability is much much much lower.  

Is this California?  That's a whole other kettle o'fish.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

You are doing the right thing in testifying honestly.  But feel good about this:  they are probablly already investigating him, and already know about his activities.  

I think you're right!

My immediate supervisor said that he had heard from others that the guy was working out and still staying in touch with clients...which is forbidden at our company when you are getting disability pay.

At the end of the call he said that he hoped to work until next fall 2018, when he'll be 70 and he can get the max in SS payouts.

I felt badly because he kept talking about all the pain pills he's on and how after he comes home from the gym, he needs to take an oxycodone (I told him if he's in that much pain, he needs to stay home - his wife is a nurse!) I wondered if he was overmedicating.

After reading some replies here - I kind of think he might be planning on milking this disability until next fall!!!

Respected Contributor

This brings back memories getting involved with the drama in the office.  The drama set off so many emotions, what did I do, who knows about it etc.  My whole body was actually drained with all the he said, she said. 

I'm sure someone will learn from this but when somebody on the outside is looking in, it's best to practice the SGT SCHULTZ, I know NOTHING.

The guy is going to be mad at you and although it was the right thing, avoidance would of been better and I think you realized that after the fact.  Oh well, I just chalk them up to life's lessons.

I work for myself now and create my own drama now....lol

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Don't feel bad - there are a lot of people out there taking advantage of the system - sounds like he's one of them.  I have a young man down the street on disability (bad back), yet I watched him lift very large pieces of wood cut from a tree removed down the street into his trunk.  He's really stupid if he thinks he will get by with it.  Trust me, there are people out there watching him.  They don't get by with it as much as they used to. 

@hoosieroriginal

Many companies that foot the disability bills have a PI Firm, or other sources watch and record some of the activities of employees drawing a fairly long disability. My company, when it was Western Electric(pre- Judge Greene fatal decision for me any many of my co-worker s) used to send a visiting nurse, at random times, to some one disability.

When I wax off for my back surgery, I had to come into the medical office, once I was able to drive. This was every 2 weeks, even though my back surgeon had not cleared me for heavy lifting(my job required lifting 65-80lbs). My Surgeon told me to have their doctor call his office if they wanted details and his reason for his restrictions on weight lifted.

My job required not only lifting, but the worst part was you had to turn 90° around to place the reels of wire in a pallet, that on me was higher than my shoulders, and I was 5'8" tall. Holding heavy weight (with only 3 fingers on each hand) in front of you and the turning 90° puts a lot of strain on ones spine.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Here's my answer, "you know John, he likes to chat".  It's quite possible he will admit to feeding his animals and taking an exercise class.  Those things, if doctor approved, may not disqualify his claims.

Honored Contributor

I think what you did is fine. It really galls me when people cheat the things that are in place to protect all of us from these tragedies. But , to be honest, I doubt you are that naive that you didn't know when you told on this guy what was going to happen.

Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion is to not talk about his daily activities.  I would be honest and tell him that you are uncomfortable knowing his business and that your employer is asking questions.  You might even say that you are feeling that he is abusing the system.  Of course, that depends on your relationship.

It is quite possible that his working out has been approved by his doctor(s), who generally prescribe pain meds.  As someone who had a work-related tbi and received long-term disability, I only did doctor-approved activities at the Y.  However, I did not take pain meds, which my doctor felt was a mistake.  Your co-worker probably feels fairly good with the pain meds and that allows him to do more activities.  When he gets home, that is when he needs the oxy.   In my opinion, the more he moves, the faster he heals and that might be what his doctors say.  You might also bring that up to your employer since your co-worker is the subject of discussion. 

I don't like people abusing the system, but I also don't like people making assumptions without actual knowledge.  If I were you, I would remove myself from the discusions on both ends.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@terrier3

If your coworker is claiming disability and spinning, driving, farm work, he isn't disabled. He is committing insurance fraud.

Just do what your conscience dictates, be as honest as you are here. You did nothing wrong.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3  You did not SEE anything. I would not say anything unless you SAW it with your own eyes . Hear say  is not fact.

I would talk to him first if you are going to say anything at all against him..... tell him that what he said on the phone disturbed you. See what he says. 

That at is my feeling on it.  Personally I would say nothing about the phone calls.....and say you know nothing.