Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever had an MIBG scan?

[ Edited ]

My endocrinologist said he may want me to have one.  This is a new procedure to me.  I've had CT scans, MRI's, etc...  If anyone here has had one and wouldn't mind sharing her/his experience(s), I would greatly appreciate it.  I know we all respond differently but it will help my anxiety over this if I knew a little more about it.  I looked up information and found a website but first hand experiences also give good information. 

https://www.insideradiology.com.au/mibg-scan/

I would still appreciate hearing from anyone familar with this scan.

TIACat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had an MIBG scan?

@Pandalady

I can only say that I have had what they called a "dye" given by IV during a CT scan. 

I wish you good health or better health💜💙❤️💚

Sorry I couldn't be a more specific source of help.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have had two of those scans done about 12 years ago. I had the scans done to determine whether or not my lungs and heart were affected by scleroderma. To tell you the truth, I don't remember much about what I went through, just that I was laying on a bench that moved me inside the scanning equipment. They injected my arm with the isotope before the scan was done.

There is one thing I clearly remember...the tech who injected me with the isotope said I would have a metallic taste in my mouth but not for very long.

Honored Contributor

@Pandalady,

I see it is some sort of a Nuclear Scan. I had never heard of it so just checked a couple websites. What specifically they are looking for, I have no idea.

My body has had a bunch of nuclear scans, starting with the one that diagnosed my Lung Blood Clots(PE). That one was/is called a VQ Scan. I know that Nuclear Radiologist very well now because of my many nuclear type scans.

I have had certain areas on my body where they did use nuclear injections. I also have had at least 3 Total Body Nuclear Scans, and those took what seemed like forever. My friend, the Nuclear Radiologist, turned the monitor so I could watch the nuclear material go into each part of my body.

With the VQ Scans, think my total now is 4-5 of them, the nuclear substance was inhaled through some sort of facial mask, or maybe just a tube, which you had to inhale it. Been awhile for those, and I don't remember exactly all the specifics.

I can say that with all the nuclear materials that have passed through my body, I am surprised I don't look like a neon sign or something. Don't remember any of them giving me any lasting side effects, but I do remember the metallic taste with some of them.

Wish I knew more about the MIBG, but until I read your title, I had never heard of it. Only read enough to see that nuclear materials are part of it. From there, told you some of my experiences with nuclear procedures.

Hope all works out well for you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)