Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Online Only Available

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

PubMed research paper that talks more about what Andrew was talking about in why he takes Protein Isolate and Marine Collagen every morning and night.

Dietary protein considerations to support active aging.

Given our rapidly aging world-wide population, the loss of skeletal muscle mass with healthy aging (sarcopenia) represents an important societal and public health concern. Maintaining or adopting an active lifestyle alleviates age-related muscle loss to a certain extent. Over time, even small losses of muscle tissue can hinder the ability to maintain an active lifestyle and, as such, contribute to the development of frailty and metabolic disease. Considerable research focus has addressed the application of dietary protein supplementation to support exercise-induced gains in muscle mass in younger individuals. In contrast, the role of dietary protein in supporting the maintenance (or gain) of skeletal muscle mass in active older persons has received less attention. Older individuals display a blunted muscle protein synthetic response to dietary protein ingestion. However, this reduced anabolic response can largely be overcome when physical activity is performed in close temporal proximity to protein consumption. Moreover, recent evidence has helped elucidate the optimal type and amount of dietary protein that should be ingested by the older adult throughout the day in order to maximize the skeletal muscle adaptive response to physical activity. Evidence demonstrates that when these principles are adhered to, muscle maintenance or hypertrophy over prolonged periods can be further augmented in active older persons. The present review outlines the current understanding of the role that dietary protein occupies in the lifestyle of active older adults as a means to increase skeletal muscle mass, strength and function, and thus support healthier aging.

@VaBelle35 thanks for this Pub Med info. For a while now I've been trying to get a better handle on how much protein to eat during the day and how often to have it. I find the daily protein issue so confusing because everyone seems to have a different take on it. 

I've been taking it more seriously in the past few years because I know that, as we age, older adults tend to slowly lose muscle mass. They can look as though they are at a healthy weight but a body scan will show a protein deficiency and that they are sometimes malnourished. As people get older, they have to be more diligent about making sure their bodies are getting (absorbing, really) enough key nutrients and protein. 

The Pub Med info is running along the lines of what Andrew was saying. I've always taken about 50 calories worth of fruit juice after I exercise because this helps the body from the essential muscle microfracturing that's being done. Now I'll have to add a bit of protein to that mix. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I think he also said he was making small bars like Larabars around 25 calories or so.  I hope that's what he meant because I've never seen a mini Larabar and never around 25 calories.  I chop my Larabars in 1/3s.

@VaBelle35 I hear him say the protein bars were in the works (around 25 calories). I don't use protein bars but a good friend of mine does. She used to buy LaraBars but the sugar content was too high (20gms, I think) with 6-7gms protein. She tried Quest bars which have a great protein profile (17-20 gms, I think) but she had trouble digesting the sugar substitute in them. 

Now she's buying the Kind bar line that only has 5gms sugar in each bar. I think they have 7gms protein. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm 2 minutes behind because I paused it to brush my teeth.

I'm up to, "Don't keep them in a cabinet over a heat source."

ACK!  I keep mine over my toaster oven.

I just keep small bottles, the large bottles are in the basement where it's cooler.

I need to rethink my cabinet choice.

YES!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Interesting question about Pressure Cookers.  Here is Mark Sisson's take:

Mark – What side do you take on using pressure cookers in making broths/stocks and soups/stews? Does this in any way affect the nutritional content in meats and or vegetables? Thanks, Wai

I love the pressure cooker. Cook a whole chicken in 45 minutes. Fall-apart beef shanks in 50 minutes. An hour or less for rich viscous chicken broth that gels at room temperature. What’s not to love?

But it does expose food to higher temperatures than regular sea-level boiling (250 degrees °F/121 °C versus 212 degrees °F/100 °C). And since we have the notion that higher temperatures destroy nutrients, it’s natural to worry about the nutrient content of our pressure-cooked food.  But should we?

No. Research indicates that pressure cooking is gentler than most other forms of cooking and actually preserves a lot of nutrition. In spinach (and amaranth leaves, if you can get them), pressure cooking preserves the vitamin C and beta-carotene content more than open pan cooking (which sounds like sautéing). It also preserves calcium and increases iron absorption. Broccoli is great in a pressure cooker, retaining 90% of its vitamin C and almost all of its sulforaphane (a very healthy broccoli phytochemical, perhaps the best known and most studied).

Pressure cooking uses less water than other cooking methods, minimizing the leaching of nutrients. If nutrients are lost, it’s not to the ether; it’s to the cooking liquid. And since soups, stews, and broths involve consumption of the cooking liquid, you won’t be missing out on much. Soups, stews, broths, and any other dish where the liquid is consumed with the meal are thus perfect for pressure cookers.

Most pressure cooking research centers on nutrient retention and loss in grains, legumes, and vegetables, but there’s at least one reference discussing how it affects fatty acid and cholesterol oxidation in mutton (and, I presume, most other animal products). Anytime you cook meat, you’re going to oxidize some of the fat and cholesterol. It’s an unavoidable consequence of applying heat to these substances.

However, compared to broiling it, pressure cooking mutton results in fewer oxidative changes. Oh, I almost forgot one more thing. Anti-pressure cooking zealots (sure, they exist) often bandy about the “denatured protein” canard: “Using a pressure cooker will denature the protein in your food and forever alter the structure of the amino acids. Also something about enzymes.” To that, I say: “Great!” I love denatured animal proteins. Denatured proteins are generally more digestible than undenatured proteins. We’re always denaturing the proteins we eat before we eat them. It’s kind of the whole purpose of cooking. When we cook egg whites, the proteins become denatured and more digestible. When you stick seafood in a lime juice bath to make ceviche, you’re denaturing the proteins. That doesn’t “destroy” the proteins or make them toxic or carcinogenic or unrecognizable to our easily-fooled digestive enzymes; it just rearranges them. They’re still broken down in the gut into amino acids.

If you’re convinced, I’m a big fan of the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. You hear a lot of horror stories about the stove top pressure cookers exploding and coating the kitchen and its inhabitants in molten chili. That’s impossible with the Instant Pot. Very difficult to mess up. And making bone broth is a cinch in one. Just add bones, water, and press a few buttons. It even has a sauté mode, so you can brown your meats before braising them without getting another pan dirty.

@VaBelle35 thanks for Mark's take on pressure cookers and crock pots. lol, I haen't seen Mark on Andrew Kaufmann's Know The Cause shows for quite a while, but this sounds so much like him. I can see why you like his no nonsense approach. Smiley Happy

I got a good chuckle when Andrew mentioned his friend Mark's book. And later talked about how Mark was the dad of his godchildren. -- Mark used to work for Andrew before he started his own company. They wrote a short book on nutrition together a long time ago. 

Andrew mentioned that he's been eating Paleo for the past 40 years. That was interesting because I didn't know that. -- Unlike Doug Kaufmann and Andrew, Mark's a relatively new Atkins/Pritkin/Hippocrates/Paleo type diet convert. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm between meetings, but there is a product on VitaCost that talks about the combination of the two and amino acids.

This is also a hot topic on some Bulletproof Coffee forums.  LOL

NeoCell Collagen Sport Ultimate Recovery Complex
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I think he said they are up until Midnight Monday.

I ordered the Whey and I think I'm going to try to do the morning and night serving with the whey (but I will put it in something other than water, maybe make hot cacao in the morning and bone broth at night).

I should have ordered the whey, but I didn't really think about it until today. Oh well, the October TS is just a few weeks away (I insist on free S&H... lol, I demand it *s*). 

I'm still going to take my collagen away from protein, but I'll use the whey protein for post workout and sometimes at lunchtime. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I think he also said he was making small bars like Larabars around 25 calories or so.  I hope that's what he meant because I've never seen a mini Larabar and never around 25 calories.  I chop my Larabars in 1/3s.

@VaBelle35 I hear him say the protein bars were in the works (around 25 calories). I don't use protein bars but a good friend of mine does. She used to buy LaraBars but the sugar content was too high (20gms, I think) with 6-7gms protein. She tried Quest bars which have a great protein profile (17-20 gms, I think) but she had trouble digesting the sugar substitite in them. 

Now she's buying the Kind bar line that only has 5gms sugar in each bar. I think they have 7gms protein. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

The only Larabar I eat is the Cashew Cookie which is just Cashews and Dates.  I could make these myself by chopping up cashews and dates and pressing them into a pan and then cutting them up and making little teeny tiny FoodSaver bags.

But I just buy the bars.  LOL  I use them for travel and meetings and to keep in my purse in case I find myself starving without food (which is rare, but it happens, especially on travel).

Eventually, my sad little bar has been knocked around my purse so many times that I have to put it out of its misery and eat it and replace it with a fresh one. 

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@VaBelle35 thanks for Mark's take on pressure cookers and crock pots. lol, I haen't seen Mark on Andrew Kaufmann's Know The Cause shows for quite a while, but this sounds so much like him. I can see why you like his no nonsense approach. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Interesting background info.

Mark had me the day he had a podcast about doing Paleo 80/20.  When you go to a person's house for dinner and they serve you quesadillas with black beans, you don't open the quesadilla and pick out the beans.  YOU EAT THE BEANS. 

I love him.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Hopefully, after the shows, Andrew and his team sat down and discussed what was good, what wasn't good and what to do better next time.

The person screening the emails wasn't doing a good job.  The emails about very specific medication conditions should never have made their way to him.

The questions that he already answered, should never have made his way to him to answer YET AGAIN.  He would say, "I already answered that" and then answer it AGAIN taking away time from other topics, questions and the topic he said he wanted to discuss (skeletal health).

BUT, it was still fantastic and I got a lot out of it.

I did not load up on MC, but I am still going to take 2 scoops a day with protein.

He did answer A question about the temperature of the liquid for MC.  He said it's a stable protein (I think that was the phrase he used) and so temperature wouldn't hurt it.

I thought he was taking his MC and Whey together because it's a pure protein shot.  MC is protein and Whey is protein.  I will have to see if there is any info on your questions out there about the "take away."

Knowing how detail oriented Andrew is, I'm sure there was a post production meeting. I'm grateful for the broadcasts but there is a lot of room for improvement... especially with the email screener. 

Andrew has me stumped/confused about the amino acid combining. Information I've gathered over decades has recommended that people should not take isolated amino acids together, or with complete proteins, because this reduces the efficacy of the isolated amino acids. 

Essentially your body is always looking to use the various component amino acids together in order to make protein molecules that your body needs. This is so important that the body can actually molecularly transform one amino acid into another amino acid in order to create the protein type that the body needs. Unfortunately, it's not an efficient one amino acid molecule to a different amino acid molecule transformation. -- So the isolated amino acid can get gobbled up in the transformation. 

So the recommendation is to take isolated amino acids 2-4 hours apart from protein (or another amino acid). I take tryptophan five nights a week and glutamone every mid afternoon, so that makes my daily protein intake meals challenging. 

I mentioned that I had recently purchased some Doctors Best Collagen. If you go to the Doctors Best website and read the label, you'll notice that the recommendation is to take the collagen away from a protein meal. 

I learned about amino acid utilization decades ago, in reverse, from A Diet for a Small Planet when I was eating a vegetarian diet. As I vegetarian I had to understand how to combine various vegetable amino acids in order for my body to be able to synthesize complete proteins in an efficient manner.

I'm going to call Doctors Best and see what they have to say about this and then do some more research. I've spoken to Procaps Labs and they just say that there isn't an issue. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Interesting background info.

Mark had me the day he had a podcast about doing Paleo 80/20.  When you go to a person's house for dinner and they serve you quesadillas with black beans, you don't open the quesadilla and pick out the beans.  YOU EAT THE BEANS. 

I love him.

Or you just mention that you had a huge lunch, so you'd just like a half portion. Or pull the host over and quietly mention that your stomach is acting up, so you're just going to have a small portion. Whatever seems appropriate so your host doesn't feel upset or offended.

lol, just eat the beans.... it's sooo not the end of the world. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Wink