Honored Contributor

DOES ANYONE HERE SELF-INJECT ??

[ Edited ]

I'm starting to take a biologic for RA and will be self injecting weekly with an epi-pen type syringe.  

I've read the instructions ... but does anyone have any tips .......   or words of wisdom?

Thanks !

Tink

Honored Contributor

Re: DOES ANYONE HERE SELF-INJECT ??

No words of advice but after a few injections you will not give the process a thought.  Assuming you will be injecting into your abdomen, pinch a fold of skin between your fingers and then inject into that.  I use insulin though, not an RA injectable.

Good luck.  This is one of those situations where the anticipation is worse than the event.  Did a nurse give you a demonstration?

Honored Contributor

i've had a few injections in my thigh at the doctor's office, but just haven't been the one holding the syringe.  

I'm sure you're right about the anticipation .....  just trying to be "prepared".    LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yes I do 2x a month. I have R.A. and am in a study group. I was scared at first, but it is so easy ! I do it in my stomach area, (below my belly button) first clean area, then get air out of syringe , then go in at a slight angle ( was told to that way) I go in fast, and when the syringe is empty it pops back in. It really is easy, and very little pain in my lower stomach area. Good luck to you, these kinds of meds are very expensive !! 

Valued Contributor

I self inject B12 every two weeks in the top of my leg. I do as the previous poster recommended- pinch some skin between two fingers to raise it a bit. Then just push the needle in. I inject into the muscle, so I puch the needle in almost all the way. There is hardly any pain involved. You should take a cotton ball with alcohol on it and clean the area you are injecting before doing it. After you inject, if there is a little bleeding, just use the cotton ball to put pressure on the site. I almost never have to do that.

You will be just fine! It just takes a little nerve the first time. I remember sitting in a chair and looking at the top of my leg for about 20 minutes before I could do it, LOL. Now I clean the area, fill my syringe, and stick it in. Takes about minute to do everything. I hope your RA responds to the biologic med.  RA is pretty painful. Let us know how you are feeling- I'll be checking back to see how you are doing. Smiley Happy

It's really easy if it is an epi-pen type injector.  I have been using them for several years. I inject in to my thighs. Just read the directions and you should be fine. You will feel a bit of a sting, much like getting a shot, but it passes quickly. Good luck! 

Frequent Contributor

Yes. For RA. Ive done two different ones. The epi pen is so easy you dont even feel it.  There will be pictures that show you exactly what to do where TO inject  The next medicine i was on i did  not like the injection as much its in the stomach not the waist area, the medicine is thicker so it cant be an epi pen. Its more awkward but it still does not hurt. 

Also for my first injection they made me an appointment with the nurse and she was there to show you but let you do it.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using enbrel for RA for many years.  I use the epi-pen and pull the skin tightly to make a hard flat area on my stomach----I rotate from side to side, just below the belly button, every 10 days.  When I took it more frequently I would rotate thighs, arms (the most discomfort for me personally) and stomach (the best for me!).   It's second nature now---just a little redness at site sometimes.  It has made a BIG difference in my life.  GOOD LUCK!!

Honored Contributor

@Karlakaye wrote:

I've been using enbrel for RA for many years.  I use the epi-pen and pull the skin tightly to make a hard flat area on my stomach----I rotate from side to side, just below the belly button, every 10 days.  When I took it more frequently I would rotate thighs, arms (the most discomfort for me personally) and stomach (the best for me!).   It's second nature now---just a little redness at site sometimes.  It has made a BIG difference in my life.  GOOD LUCK!!

How long before you thought the Enbrel had "kicked in" and you could feel any difference?   That's what I'll be taking.

Valued Contributor

I also use the epi pens with Enbrel, alternating on thighs weekly or bi-weekly. My husband does it, however. I used to have to inject methotrexate with regular needles, which was NOT fun. This is so much easier, and if he were not around, I think I could do it. He enjoys playing doctor, lol. I have been on enbrel for over 5 years, and I think the results were almost immediate, and it is still effective.