Esteemed Contributor

Warning if you have macular degeneration. 23 & Me has a dna test for macular degenertaion

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I was on Amiodarone for a year, for Afib.  I started losing sight in my left eye, and was extremely fatigued.  My doctor took me off it and put me on something else.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo @Relative of mine just had an ablation two days ago. She's home feeling good. Ablation is highly effective.

Respected Contributor

My Mom took Amiodorone for about 4 years. She developed AFIB in the hospital  after a hip replacement.  She had to have a cardioversion after a year of taking this med. Her cardiologist  took her off it in August.   In September she had her annual lung function test and the Pulmonologist said her lungs are clear. Great news. She is 92. i just hope she continues to self-monitor her symptoms. she has a habit of brushing off physical cues .she could not feel her rapid heart beat the time she had to go to ER (where after admitting her they did the cardioversion) 

Occasional Contributor

When I was diagnosed with AFib I was in the hospital for 5 days to test different medications. Amiadorone (cordarone) helped for 12 hours and then I was back in AFib. None of the medications they tried helped me. I finally had an ablation which was 7 years ago. My second cardiologist said that it is no longer recommended that individuals in their 50's use amiadorone because it's harsh on the whole body. I cannot even tolerate anti-arythmia meds. I had 2 cardioversions. Neither worked, so the need for an ablation. In any case Amiadorone not recommended by my cardiologist. My mother was on it for 8 years but was 70 years old when she started using it after a massive heart attack. Apparently by that age it's ok to use. I don't remember her having any side efftects.