Respected Contributor

Anyone order the aging backwards kit?  Wish they explained the dvd's a little more.....as usual Kristin kept interrupting...

Honored Contributor

Re: Aging backwards

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl 

Sounds like a good pickup phrase to sell the kit. Don't know what it is, but I am pretty sure it is figurative only. 

Depending on one's Physiological Age compared to their Chronological Age, that phrase might kinda apply. Going from living a very sedentary life to a physical fit life can sure make a person feel like they are "aging backwards", and that's great. 

As the saying goes to those that live a fulfilling life: "Age is just a number". That is exactly how I see it. 

As far as this kit? I will be checking this thread to see if some have tried it. To me a placebo effect can always be present. Certain physical and mental changes have metrics that can be measured. Placebo effects?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There some sessions on YouTube and sets of disks on A.

It is a gentle stretch type program.

Valued Contributor

The price seems good to me.  I can't see a list of the workouts, but it appears the DVDs include 30 daily workouts.  The DVD sets on her classical stretch website are $64.95 for 30 workouts, but are sometimes discounted 30%.  Each workout is 23-25 minutes.  You can see some examples on her classical stretch website and on her youtube channel.  I exercise with Miranda daily on PBS.  Her Classical Stretch program is on very early morning in most markets, but well worth recording if you're not an early bird.

These are fantastic at rebalancing your body, increasing mobility, and strengthening muscles in an elongated position (essentrics) to promote joint health.  Her "workouts" incorporate essentrics, no impact cardio, tai chi, ballet, physical therapy techniques.

Miranda is Canadian.  She is a former ballerina, but has developed essentrics for decades.  Her in-studio clients include professional hockey players @hckynut .  You should try her exercises for the feet.  Amazing how it affects the rest of your body when you unlock your feet from all the decades of wearing shoes (or skates).

Highly recommend her program to everyone.  It's meant for ages 20 to 90.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info lynne6was7!  For me i need to take it very slowly so that I can learn the moves..Miranda makes it look so easy!  I suspect you just have to build up your stamina with time...No way can I do 16 reps and then repeat!  At least not yet!

Valued Contributor
You're correct - you will have to build up to the number of reps. However, pay attention to proper positioning to prevent injury. Also, do the exercises in the order of the workout so you don't inadvertently unbalance your body. Don't pick and choose only those exercises you like. Remember not to work through "knife" pain - work to just prior to that point. Working through discomfort caused by fatigue is okay.

BTW, the exercises that strengthen your feet and ankles will increase your stamina.
Honored Contributor

I tried to do the full PBS Aging Backwards series. It's available on the Classical Stretch Essentrics subscription. It was the first series I did. It started out easily enough but got too difficult towards the last workouts. (And there are repeats of workouts in the 30 day PBS program, but spaced apart.)

So I eventually switched to Classical Stretch Season 9 and got through the whole season and am now on Season 11. I would bet I'm strong enough to get all the way through the PBS Aging Backwards series now.

Classical Stretch is not easy. It's healthy and good for your body and joints, and it's nice and fast. But not easy. I'd say stop and take a breather whenever you have to during the workouts.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Re: Aging backwards

[ Edited ]

The timing is funny that they had this on recently because I was just last week looking at Essentrics, online digital. There is a free trial offer for 2 weeks at .com, BTW.   But I hesitated because to me, it looks very slow like Tai Chi. And while tai chi is a nice form of exercise, I get antsy moving this slow-  it drives me nuts-  I eventually settled on Pelation, digital only (no bike).  peleton offers a free 30 day trial.  I've been doing it about 1 week, almost daily. And it's the other end of the spectrum... moving too fast, too repetitive, too intense... With instructors half my age, and I don't want to get hurt!  
I still have yet to find a balance !

But I'm sure this system is good and any exercise is better than none!!  💝

Valued Contributor
Forgot to say: If there is a particular workout you're more successful at, there is no harm in repeating it a few days in a row. You will be able to do a few more of each exercise each day, and become more agile to get deeper into each move.