Regular Contributor

I was wondering how you can tell? What are the signs??

Honored Contributor

@KrissyE 

You feel a flutter in your heart and at times it feels like it is beating really fast

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I have afib. Was diagnosed two years ago during a routine check up. I had no idea. Doc rolled in an ekg machine to confirm and then told me to go see a cardiologist. Whhaaattt???  Long story short, I wore a holter monitor for a day and it confirmed  I am in constant  afib. I take Metropolol for the rapid heart beat and Eliquis as blood thinner to reduce risk of stroke.  It has not slowed me down at all. Cardiologist said you can continue to run and do your high impact gym workouts. Worse thing I could do is stop. He seriously doubts it will just go away.  The only time I have ever noticed it is running up a flight of stairs. But it abates quickly.  It’s apparently quite common.  Who knew?

Valued Contributor

Hopefully, you are under the care of a cardiologist, have you ever had an echocardiogram? That could possibly answer lots of questions & concerns for you regarding the anatomy of your heart.
Next step could be a external holter monitor to determine your heart rhythm for several days. a good cardiologist who you trust is the first step. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have  heard of this but really do not understand why people get it... is it like heart disease or related to it? What causes it?

@SeaMaiden  Short answer...age.  Common in older adults...like maybe 70 or 80%. 

In younger people it's usually associated with other heart conditions. 

Keepin' it real.