Respected Contributor

Even if the first dentist wasn't at fault it's a shame it was done when your husband wasn't having any trouble with the tooth in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic  I wouldn't fault the dentist especially if your DH approved the procedure.  Often when I have had dental work done with a deep filling I have had pain for a few days to a couple of weeks and thought for sure I would need a root canal.  My dentist always tells me to wait a few weeks unless the pain is unbearable and it becomes obvious that the nerve was compromised and after a few days or a week or so all is fine.  

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Unfortunately this happens fairly often.  The dentist should have warned him up front.  Mine does.  Each time a tooth is drilled on it is "insulted".  If it's a big filling it's more at risk.  The tooth may not recover from the insult and it says, hey, I'm outta here.  Then you do a root canal and a crown, or pull it.  You just don't know how the tooth will react before hand, but if it's a big filling it probably will die.  It's happened to me.  Doesn't mean that the dentist is inept.  And a claim with the dental board is not in order. 

I don't let the dentist change out my fillings unless there's decay or a crack underneath. 

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-root-canals#1

I also have had that happen several times. I have had a number of root canals and that is the reason.

I think if you talk to the Dentist, he will be able to show why he recommended that root canal or extracation of the tooth. Please talk to the Dentist and hear what he has to say. He probably has the Xrays to show you or the filling was becoming loose. And if the filling is loose decay can start to build below the filling.

Honored Contributor

I'd drop it. There are unknowns when working on already diseased teeth. Unless you think he deliberately did this.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I had a crown that broke after about 1 yr. My DDS saw it and said I guarantee my work and he replaced it for free. I never said a word to him. He saw it and decided that it shouldn't have happened

He is a wonderful man. I think the lab might have sent a defective crown..he told me all it would cost me was my time..I am so lucky to have him, he is a fine DDS ,and a all around nice guy

Trusted Contributor

I would fight any charges. There is NO way you should be paying for all of those services.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: Advice needed!

[ Edited ]

The original procedure sounds like a BS recommendation for a tooth that didn't need it. Irreputable dentists are notorious for saying you need a procedure and it's a sham.

If it were me I'd take him to small claims court if he won't cooperate, or report him to the state dental board. Small claims is much easier, you can do that yourself. If you want to do it research on your state's judicial branch website.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice needed!

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic     It is just the chance you take with dental care.  You can not sue them  or get your money back... I have had a mouthful of issues after work done... anytime you do drilling... new cavities...  new fillings.... crowns..... things can go wrong or they just progress to the next phase.. the final phase death of a tooth.  Then if you are lucky you can have a root canal at least. 

I had most of my fillings replaced or had crowns( I have mouthful) eventually a crown will turn into a dying tooth thus a root canal.  (A dead tooth "SAVED"  that you can chew on at least instead of having no tooth at all.)  I have about 6 root canals... all teeth that had started out as replaced fillings   or crowns..... Some teeth died withing a month of a crown or filling replacement.... some teeth lasted years before needing to have a root canal.    You never know.