Respected Contributor

Advice for sitting / chair elipticals

There are so many sitting elipticals out there!  I just don't know what to choose or if this is what I should be purchasing.

My mission is to rehab my knee and leg.  I broke my knee -  twice, if you can imagine how upsetting that is.  I'm healing bone wises (once again) and I really need to strengthen and improve circulation and flexibility.  

Does anyone have experience with these?  And using them to help after an injury?

Do you think it's best to get one that moves for me?   Or should I get one that I move?  If one that moves for me - are there ones that don't need to be plugged in? Pros? Cons?

All thoughts and info would be very appreciated to help me know what to look for and maybe what to avoid.  If you have a specific one that you like, I'd love to hear which and what you love about it.

I see  hsn and qvc have some, as well as A, and many other places!

Thank you Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice for sitting / chair elipticals

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars i know you are just wanting some advice from others but considering you have broken your knee twice...you could really screw things up royally doing the wrong thing. Go to an ortho doc, get referred to a physical therapist, even if is just one time and get professional, educated  advice.

Im living proof that one should not try to mess with things themselves. My back is screwed. 

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ  I appreciate your comment and concern very much Smiley Happy.   I just had my latest ortho appointment and he's satisfied with my bone healing.  He's mandated that I have to go for it as far as rehab goes -in addition to the physical therapy which I started again a few weeks ago.  he said I'm ready and I should push it.  I'm not even walking again yet, a little bit with a walker at this point and I practice standing as much as possible.  - I did mention to him I've been seeing this commercial on tv with this thing that moves the legs back and forth (legxercise?). He wasn't familiar with it, but said he was completely in favor of that idea.  I can't remember if I mentioned an eliptical too, I may have.  I'll check with his office, but  for now I could really use some feedback on the available choices out there so I have some good direction. I have a lot of rebuilding to do.  I have to work through the scar tissue too - meaning it has caused a lot of inflexibility at this point.  He did say that I should feel confident that the bone is healing well and I'm not going to hurt that at this point - obviously no running or jumping   ( i wish!), but activity within reason and as I'm able...

I'm so sorry about your back!  I hope there is something that you can do to help it ..

Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars I appreciate you asking for opinions and recommendations.  That being said, after having gone through 4 months of PT myself last year, have you asked your PT what exercise equipment he thinks you should buy?  Since your PT is familiar with your exact injury and on what areas he has been working with you, I would be surprised if he doesn't have a recommendation or two.  He should be familiar with all the exercise equipment out there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars I sympathize with your second injury.  I broke my foot (metatarsal) one year and almost to the day broke again the next year!  I am now very careful with it as I appreciate the high risk of reinjury!

I would do my homework (like you are doing here and more) and take your recommendations to your physio guy to get his final approval.  The elliptical is no impact.  Also, you should consider swimming or aqua fit classes.  They are also low/no impact.

Good luck!!! Would love to hear which one your PT supports.

Esteemed Contributor

My gym has 3 of these and I have used them and like it. I had a knee replaced in 2017 and find a regular stationary bike difficult to use. First I'm short and no matter how low the seat goes it still can be difficult to use. I like the reclining elliptical because it's a bit like a reclining bike. Comfortable, easy to get in and out of and I can move my legs a bit more. They do take up a lot of room though. 

Super Contributor

I recently replaced my original Cubii with the newer TSV model (Cubii Groove) that was offered last month. LOVE it. small, compact, out of the way by the end of my couch. lighter weight, so easy to move place to place if needed. 

I got the first one after getting 'pandemic pelvis' from staying home and sitting too much during the first two years of covid. 

took a pic of the Cubii to show my PT who was definitely in favor of my using it. no strain on knees, or anywhere. can 'exercise' in jammies, don't have to worry about the weather. I use it while watching tv. 

it has 10 resistance settings, so you can start slowly to build up. 

sold out right now, but it will be back. I highly recommend. you can find other slightly bigger models elsewhere. I prefer the Cubii because its sturdy and dependable. I'm sure there are other brands to consider. very happy with my Cubii.  

good luck! 

Super Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

There are so many sitting elipticals out there!  I just don't know what to choose or if this is what I should be purchasing.

My mission is to rehab my knee and leg.  I broke my knee -  twice, if you can imagine how upsetting that is.  I'm healing bone wises (once again) and I really need to strengthen and improve circulation and flexibility.  

Does anyone have experience with these?  And using them to help after an injury?

Do you think it's best to get one that moves for me?   Or should I get one that I move?  If one that moves for me - are there ones that don't need to be plugged in? Pros? Cons?

All thoughts and info would be very appreciated to help me know what to look for and maybe what to avoid.  If you have a specific one that you like, I'd love to hear which and what you love about it.

I see  hsn and qvc have some, as well as A, and many other places!

Thank you :

do you have a budget allocation    my husband bought a NuStep for me they are expensive   our recumbent bikes are close in movement 

mrshckynut 

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Lilysmom1 .  That's terrible you reinjured the same area.  Sounds painful!!! Having it happen a year later to the day is quite something!  Did it happen the same way?

For me, I'd finally progressed from my initial break to the point I was finally on crutches!  I was starting to do it really well, I thought anyway. But my crutch slipped as I was going downstairs and I fell pretty hard on that leg.  I stuck the landing tho - for good or bad.  Ouchy!!  Anyway,  I've had to start all over again, somewhat worse than my first.  Good news in that my bone is healing well.  It's the rest I need to deal with (muscle, scar tissue, flexibility, strength, circulation, etc.)

I will check with my pt's and see what they have to say.  I have not graduated yet to outpatient pt (very soon tho) - I have people that come to me (visiting nurse phyiscal therapy)  

Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars The first time I broke it stamping on a piece of ice.  The second time I kicked a soccer ball without knowing it was waterlogged.  Both times I felt beyond stupid.  I ended up in a cast the second time after wearing a boot for ten weeks.  An experience I hope I never have to repeat.