Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I know this is going to sound dumb, but....my husband and I are in our mid sixties.  Good health.  We have Advance Directives  and all is taken care of. Every provider asked if we have them and I say yes and they all want copies for their records.  Now this is the dumb part, Im not ready to give them to anyone yet.  We know  each others wishes and when the time comes will certainly produce them.  Anyone else feel like this?

No.  You likely paid an attorney to have these papers drawn up for you while you are healthy.  Even people in excellent health have accidents or unexpected health issues.  

Valued Contributor

@september wrote:

How this is handled might depend where you live.  In CA, as well as many other states, doctors now have older patients fill out a POLST form....physicians order for life sustaining treatment.  

This is used in addition to an  advanced directive. 

Thank you for this info. I will discuss it with my physician. 

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I know this is going to sound dumb, but....my husband and I are in our mid sixties.  Good health.  We have Advance Directives  and all is taken care of. Every provider asked if we have them and I say yes and they all want copies for their records.  Now this is the dumb part, Im not ready to give them to anyone yet.  We know  each others wishes and when the time comes will certainly produce them.  Anyone else feel like this?

Yes, I know someone whose father was a cancer patient off and on for many years. Remission and returned several times.

Dad only trusted 1 family member with his wishes including AD. It was discussed with only 1 family member who was provided the paperwork. It lessened the drama in the family considerably.