Honored Contributor

A segment on CBS this morning about living wills or advance directives to let medical personell know your wishes in cases of cardiac arrest or severe illness. The study they were quoting said about 1/3 (more or less) of people have these filled out. In my experience as an ICU nurse it is much less than that. Personally , I fault doctors for not having these conversations with their patients when they are still in earlier stages of illnesses like COPD, heart failure, cancer. Just discussing this with a spouse is often not enough. It is extremely difficult for families to make these decisions , esp. if they don't all agree 100%.

Honored Contributor

Had to have surgery a few years back. The hospital required a copy of the AD.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

My father and I did his advance directive and then he said help me write my obituary. We did and it was the most cherished moment with my Dad. I would not have known half the things he lived. It was a moving, sad and beautiful moment. It is one I will always remember. After my father passed my husband and I did our directives discussed funeral wishes also updated our will. It is hard to  imagine but it is something that needs done. Thanks for bringing up this topic it needs discussed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Advance Directives

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

A segment on CBS this morning about living wills or advance directives to let medical personell know your wishes in cases of cardiac arrest or severe illness. The study they were quoting said about 1/3 (more or less) of people have these filled out. In my experience as an ICU nurse it is much less than that. Personally , I fault doctors for not having these conversations with their patients when they are still in earlier stages of illnesses like COPD, heart failure, cancer. Just discussing this with a spouse is often not enough. It is extremely difficult for families to make these decisions , esp. if they don't all agree 100%.

I did mine when I did my will.    The attorney told me that every state is different and just pulling one off the internet could be contested or unacceptable.   

I would recommend letting an attorney write one, it's not that expensive.  Make sure your family has a copy and understands your wishes up front.    Any time I've been in the hospital, I've always been asked if I have an AD.     I'd be curious to know if anyone has had to produce an AD.    I had Power of Attorney over my parents, I was never asked to produce one when I made their medical decisions.    My late hubby had an AD but I was never asked to produce it.

I would like to add that it's no "magic bullet".    Some of those decisions at the end are not as black & white as shown in the movies.    It didn't give me that much of peace of mind, those decisions are still very difficult to make.

Trusted Contributor
I was asked if there was one, there was not.   I'm not up to writing about the details.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't have one yet. And btw, I don't want fluids / nutrition withheld, although I don't want extraordinary means being used.  
Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I know this is going to sound dumb, but....my husband and I are in our mid sixties.  Good health.  We have Advance Directives  and all is taken care of. Every provider asked if we have them and I say yes and they all want copies for their records.  Now this is the dumb part, Im not ready to give them to anyone yet.  We know  each others wishes and when the time comes will certainly produce them.  Anyone else feel like this?

Honored Contributor

I can't agree more.  My father ended up on life support.  He didn't have anything in writing or discussed anything with my mother.  Then we had to plan the funeral.  My mother and I had opposite ideas.  We went with her ideas.  We talked about what kind of funeral she wants, but she ignores the medical part.  I am going to push that with her when I visit next month.

Honored Contributor

On the other hand - there was my Dad's case. He had an AD - no nothing , ever, under any circumstances.So when my parents were in a horrific car accident I told them IN THE ER - he wanted nothing extraordinary. He had broken his neck and was paralysed from the shoulder down. They admitted him to the trauma unit on CPAP only and he was breathing ok on that, but they did say eventually he would tire and it would be harder for him.He was unconscious. 2 days later , while all the family was at my Mom's funeral, they intubated him and put him on a ventilator against our written and signed directive.This poor man lived for 7 more months on that horrible machine, paralysed, and basically just a horrible torture for him and for us to see him like that. I should have sued that hospital, and I'm sorry I didn't.I feel what they did to him was just immoral.

Valued Contributor

When I had sepsis a few years ago almost every nurse who came in my room asked if I had an advanced directive - especially after they took my BP and it was 50/30. I said no because I did not survive cancer to die from sepsis and I was going to walk out of the hospital asap. I told them to do everything possible to make me well. They did and I was grateful. 

Since then i have written one but I want to have every opportunity to live and have not given it to the hospital yet. 

Honored Contributor

How this is handled might depend where you live.  In CA, as well as many other states, doctors now have older patients fill out a POLST form....physicians order for life sustaining treatment.  

This is used in addition to an  advanced directive.