Respected Contributor

Acid Reflux and Adjustable Bed Frames

I wanted to share a word of caution about acid reflux and adjustable mattress frames. I have had two doctors tell me that I should not be raising my head to sleep using my adjustable frame. Rather than just raising my head, it is also bending my torso and causing acid to escape from my stomach. The valve that holds acid in the stomach does not function properly if the body is bent at the waist. The valve doesn't close properly and acid rises up into the esophagus.

Both doctors told me that to safely elevate my head the bed must remain a flat plane. Putting 6" lifters, bricks, or whatever under the top of the bed elevates the head but keeps the body straight so that gravity can help keep acid in the stomach. No bending at all. I am really going to be upset if I find out my problems have been worsened by the fancy, expense mattress frame I bought.

Honored Contributor

Re: Acid Reflux and Adjustable Bed Frames

I just use a couple of extra pillows to raise my head and that seems to work for me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Laying on my left side helps me,cuz' I have a slow stomach.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@On It  My daughter "borrowed" my angled pillow I purchased off Amazon. They have various sizes and heights.  They are like a triangle and you pick how high and the angle you need.  She said it works well for her (I never got my pillow back lol).  I had mine under my other pillow.  Just search "angled bed pillows".  Good luck!  I hope you find something that works. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you! I have been raising my adjustable for years. But my neck has degenerated disc so extra pillows might not work, however, I'll try it. I can only sleep on my left side if flat, so I'll make the effort. Wow!

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

I wanted to share a word of caution about acid reflux and adjustable mattress frames. I have had two doctors tell me that I should not be raising my head to sleep using my adjustable frame. Rather than just raising my head, it is also bending my torso and causing acid to escape from my stomach. The valve that holds acid in the stomach does not function properly if the body is bent at the waist. The valve doesn't close properly and acid rises up into the esophagus.

Both doctors told me that to safely elevate my head the bed must remain a flat plane. Putting 6" lifters, bricks, or whatever under the top of the bed elevates the head but keeps the body straight so that gravity can help keep acid in the stomach. No bending at all. I am really going to be upset if I find out my problems have been worsened by the fancy, expense mattress frame I bought.

@On It 

I found out in 2008, all about "the valve" your 2 doctors told you about!  Mine was discovered1st, by doing a Lower Double BalloonEnteroscopyy. The purpose of this was to place a mark on the small intestine, in preparation for an Upper Double Balloon Enteroscopy which

was scheduled for the following day.

Now that specific valve swings only I direction, which is upwards. My doctor, when doing the Lower Double  Balloon Enteroscopy, upwards through my Colon? Found out that is true with a majority of patients, but not me. BIG Problem!

Now I still have not had, to this day, not had 1 symptom in regards to my Esophagus, but! My very 1st Endoscopy showed: 

GERD/Inflammed Esophagus/Hiatall Hernia/Barrett's Esophagus.

Why no symptoms? I had been, and still to this very day, have been sleeping in a  recliner. Not sure this proves your doctors theory for everyone, but it just might for me. 

Hooooly ch** this is long and I ain't done. Want to know more about this valve? Ask, will tell what I know, from seeing video of my procedures, which include this valve.

A real live nut: hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that's true. I had TERRIBLE acid reflex back a few years ago. My doctor told me exactly what yours told you. I used two styrofoam platforms that I got from Home Depot, and a couple of very thick books. I made sure it was even all the way across the bed; raising my head just enough. It did work, and the reflux finally went away.

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar My adjustable frame is so heavy that my elderly husband and I cannot lift it to put blocks or those bed risers under the legs that support the head area. One doctor said 4" lift. The other said 6". Cinder blocks or bricks could do the trick. Then there would be no need for extra pillows that might cause your disc to flare up. The idea is to get the head well above the feet so that gravity will keep the acid down. We are looking at movers to send out some help. We have some furniture we would like to rearrange anyway.

Sleeping on my left side is what my OB had me do when I was pregnant to lower my blood pressure. I wish I knew all the tricks. Another suggestion was do not bend over to pick something up off the floor after eating. One doctor suggested having 4 or 5 snacks rather than 3 big meals a day. If the stomach is too full, acid is forced up the esophagus.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I solved the reflux problem by taking an OTC Pepcid right before dinner. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have Gerd & when it acts up I sleep on a recliner & it goes away. I guess it's different for everyone. There's no one size fits all.