Contributor

ATTAIN device for bladder control - anyone tried it?

I have recently purchased the ATTAIN device that stimulates the pelvic floor muscles to improve bladder control. I found it while researching incontinence online. It is approved by the FDA and is supposed to work if you use it 10 minutes per day for 90 days ( they recommend 6 days per week ) and then 1 or 2 times per week for maintenance. 

I have been using it for 2 weeks and see no change so  far. Reviews say that you need to be patient, it takes time to see results. I am wondering if any of you ladies have used this product and what your results have been. I consider the money well spent if I can get back control of my bladder. Thanks for any input you can give me.

P.S.  I have read several posts here about interstitial cystitis which is another issue I deal with. I have found MSM capsules to totally take away all of my symptoms. I can eat and drink pretty much whatever I want (although I still shy away from orange juice - not brave enough for that )  with no bladder pain. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ATTAIN device for bladder control - anyone tried it?

[ Edited ]

I just admire how motivated you are and I hope your efforts are rewarded.   Hoping you are feeling better soon!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Firstly a Licensed Board Certified Urologist must do tests to see what type of incontinence you have since there are two kinds....

Stress incontinence  - Too much lifting, bending, etc. As for purchasing and using a kegel device, many people reported that was a waste of $ and that kegel device never really worked.

Prolapse  incontinence-  The neck of the bladder has fallen so the urine leaks out.

For prolapse where the bladder neck has fallen, that type of incontinence requires surgery to lift it up and secure it surgically so it remains lifted, and I highly recommend having this done in a USA Hospital which also has a patient clinic.

I read on the Internet that prolapse surgery works great  if done in a Hospital setting with a licensed board certified Urologist and an approved medical surgical staff.

Also it is reported that after this surgery the results should last years.

Respected Contributor

@deerfeeder wrote:

I have recently purchased the ATTAIN device that stimulates the pelvic floor muscles to improve bladder control. I found it while researching incontinence online. It is approved by the FDA and is supposed to work if you use it 10 minutes per day for 90 days ( they recommend 6 days per week ) and then 1 or 2 times per week for maintenance. 

I have been using it for 2 weeks and see no change so  far. Reviews say that you need to be patient, it takes time to see results. I am wondering if any of you ladies have used this product and what your results have been. I consider the money well spent if I can get back control of my bladder. Thanks for any input you can give me.

P.S.  I have read several posts here about interstitial cystitis which is another issue I deal with. I have found MSM capsules to totally take away all of my symptoms. I can eat and drink pretty much whatever I want (although I still shy away from orange juice - not brave enough for that )  with no bladder pain. 

Please find a Pelvic Physical Therapist.  They help with interstitial cystitis and bladder control.  Also, have you been to a gynecologist who specializes in bladder control?  Mine operated on my friend and cured her incontinence  last year.  There are great urogynecologists out there and great female Pelvic Physical Therapists.  It is a specialty and they usually have their own practices.  That’s all they do all day long is work on the pelvic area.  

Respected Contributor

Can someone speak to the connection to estrogen use and bladder strength. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Can someone speak to the connection to estrogen use and bladder strength. 

I should have said your experiences in using topical estrogen(cream, tablet or ring) to strengthen the bladder. Some of the studies are iffy while some reputable sources such as Harvard and Mayo are postive about the use of topical estrogen for this.

Just wondering if any one wanted to share results of using topical estrogen (vagifem, estrace cream or ring), specifically for improving bladder control. 

Just read another study that those with diagnosis interstitial cystitis need a urine culture to specifically identify any bacterial component to properly Rx antiobiotics. 

Thanks to all on these boards for sharing

Esteemed Contributor

@deerfeeder 

I've never heard of this.

However, several years back when I was having my hysterectomy, I had discussed my increasing problems with my surgeon.

Used to run and had to give it up as my footfall would cause leakage....then, it was laughing, sneezing that caused it.  

I did not want to have to deal with this for the rest of my life so he surgically corrected the problems.  Admittedly, I cannot tell you exactly what he did because I've forgotten his explanation.  He did call what I had "stress incontinence."

It helped greatly.  

Respected Contributor

My MIL had a bladder sling put in twice....1st one lasted 14yrs...then the second one until she passed away from cancer.  She never had any issues with leaking...it worked perfectly for her.  She had previously had a hysterectomy.

My Mom on the other hand had a hysterectomy at 42 and developed leaking in her 60's I think it was and had to always use depends.  She didn't have prolapse (at least her gyno never said this to her that I know of) and they never offered her any solutions to fix it.

My MIL did have prolapse...her bladder or part of it was actually coming out of her body!  Her second time getting the sling she had to fight with the insurance company to approve it!  Many UTI's....finally they approved it...took almost a yr to get it thur.  

I have seen this ATTAIN on TV ad's.....I hope it does work for you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't dare post this as a separate subject, but since you brought it up I have a theory.  You know all those bladder leak products (underwear and pads) you see on TV?  I'm betting that business has blossomed since doctors took everyone off estrogen therapy.  I also have IC and take care to avoid certain acids like orange juice and my favorite, grapefruit juice.  How about some medical person answering her question?  There must be someone on here.  

I do think topical cream helps somewhat.  I also think my chronic use of Miralax contributes to incontinence.  The commercial says it works with the water in your body.  In my case it seems to divert some to my bladder.