Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE HERE TAKE A CARB BLOCKER?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

You asked if anyoe had info about carb blockers.  So, here's  at least some info from WebMD.

THE TRUTH ABOUT CARB BLOCKERS

By Katherine Tweed
From the WebMD Archives

When you’re trying to shed pounds and the scale isn’t moving in the right direction, it can be tempting to want to try something else, like a no-prescription weight loss supplement.

Some of those supplements are called "starch blockers" or "carbohydrate blockers." They may seem like a good option because they claim to keep starches, and the calories found in them, from being digested.

But it's not quite that simple. If you're thinking about trying them for weight loss, keep in mind that claims for these products are not based on reliable scientific evidence. However, if you're using them in conjunction with a good diet and exercise program, they may help you to lose weight.

What Are Starch Blockers?

Starches are complex carbohydrates that cannot be absorbed unless they are first broken down by the digestive enzyme amylase. Amylase inhibitors, also called starch blockers, prevent starches from being absorbed by the body. When amylase is blocked, those carbs pass through the body undigested, so you don't absorb the calories.

Some starch blockers need a prescription. They are called acarbose (Precose), and miglitol (Glyset). These are used as treatments for blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes.

There are also starch blockers that are sold without a prescription as supplements.

What's the difference?

Prescription drugs have to prove to the FDA that they are safe and effective. Supplements don't. You also can't be sure of what's in a supplement.

Some supplements may have unlisted ingredients, maybe stimulants, that could be dangerous for people with diabetes, says Kathleen Dungan, MD, an endocrinologist at Ohio State University.

Prescription versions won’t have those extra ingredients, so they tend to be safer.

The FDA has sent warning letters to makers of no-prescription starch blockers in the past, saying their marketing claims are misleading.

If you're considering using any product marketed for weight loss, talk to your doctor or a dietitian first. Ask yourself if it sounds too good to be true, and be skeptical.

Do They Work?

When it comes to shedding pounds, the evidence is not clear. There’s little data to support the use of herbal supplements as carb blockers, Dungan says.

As for side effects, you could get gas, bloating, stomach cramping, and diarrhea, she says.

Eat More Fiber

There’s another option if you’re looking to manage blood sugar levels and lose some weight: Add fiber to your diet.

“If you want to supplement your diet, you should do it naturally,” Dungan says.

Start by replacing simple carbohydrates with complex carbohydrates, she says. Look for foods low on the glycemic index (GI), which tend to have fiber to help you feel fuller longer.

Low GI foods that are high in fiber include whole grains, leafy vegetables, most fruits, and legumes.

Men should get 30-38 grams of fiber daily, and women should aim for 25 grams. But most people get only about 16 grams a day.

Talk to your doctor about any supplements you’re considering, and also how much fiber you should get to help manage your diabetes.
WebMD Feature Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD on May 16, 2014
Sources
SOURCES:

Kathleen Dungan, MD, assistant professor, division of endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism, Ohio State University.

NYU Langone Medical Center: “Phaseolus vulgaris.”

Onakpoya, I. British Journal of Nutrition, July 2011.

University of California, San Francisco: “Starch Blocker.”

Harvard School of Public Health: “Carbohydrates.”

Institute of Medicine: “Dietary Reference Intakes.”

American Diabetes Association: “Glycemic Index and Diabetes” and “The American Deficit: Too Little Fiber.”

University of Maryland Medical Center: “Diabetes Diet.”

Howarth, N. Nutrition Reviews, May 2001.

Te Morenga,, L. Nutrition Journal, April 2011.

Sacks, F. New England Journal of Medicine, Feb. 26, 2009.

Mickelsen, O. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Jan. 1, 1979.

FDA: "List of Distributors Receiving Warning Letters for Weight Loss Products" and "Beware of Fraudulent Weight-Loss 'Dietary Supplements.'"
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's disheartening to see so many not understand the process of

weight loss.  

It's as if people WANT to spend LOTS of money on supplements,

programs, books, meetings...so they can feel like

'they tried...they really, really tried' when they continue to

fail over and over again.

How do I know this? I've been there.

Weight loss is about calorie density.

Eat foods that are 600-700 calories/per pound or less.

That automatically eliminates all processed foods, cheese

cereals, oils, nuts/seeds/avocados...all the foods which are

notorious for keeping extra weight.
And a Low Fat Whole Food Plant Based diet fits beautifully within that perimeter.  
It's nothing new. It;s not a fad or trend. People, around the world,

have been eating this way for 1000x of years.  It's not a secret.

If one wants to change...they have to make change.

It's a choice. 

The only MAGIC with this way of eating is...not only will you lose

weight QUICKLY, but it will reduce/eliminate issues with heart disease,

diabetes, inflammation...a myriad of issues all eliminated....

with just diet alone....and the weight loss will be sustainable,

AC2E8817-F8FD-4302-988B-BAE05969536A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Thanks for the info !!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've read some about them, but I still don't believe that they could possibly work.  

Anyone have any feedback ... or information?   TIA

"Work"....for weight loss?

'Cutting carbs' is not going to do anything for weight loss.

Eat low fat whole food plant based starches for permanent, EASY weight loss. It's so simple. 

@sidsmom 

That's just ridiculous.   Please don't post anything else on this thread.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Plant based is not the be all and end all of solving every health issue.  NO medical science backs it up.

Often it is more a political issue than a health one anyway.  It just doesn't play out as a sensible way to eat for most people.  And it also can cause some serious medical issues for many who might try that without making it a way of life and an obsession to read everything you need to know.

It would be difficult at best to remain healthy doing this for most people.  And I am happy to see that many of us point out those facts in case someone doesn't understand what the real issue is.  

I don't see others touting their version of a healthy diet as THE only way to live.  I think it is rather irresponsible for any of us to do that.  We don't know the individuals and we aren't professionals who could advise an individual on an appropriate diet for them.

You might rethink the claims you make so that people might consider incorporating more plants in their diet in a helpful way from you.  Recipes would be more helpful than making unsupported claims that cause most people to ignore any advice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've read some about them, but I still don't believe that they could possibly work.  

Eat low fat whole food plant based starches for permanent, EASY weight loss. It's so simple. 

@sidsmom   Starches of any kind puts weight on me.  Your way of eating doesn't work for everyone as far as losing weight goes.

But adding more plants into the diet is a good thing.

And....low carb diets do work for taking off weight, some aren't healthy diets, but they do work.

I have lost a tremdous amount of weight by reducing carbs. I have celiac disease so some starches are Impossible for me to eat.

I do not eat a Plant based diet and I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or any other health issues.  I limit processed foods, but use olive oil and eat animal protein.

You can't assume people who do not eat a plant based diet are not healthy.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom  Plant based is not the be all and end all of solving every health issue.  NO medical science backs it up.

Often it is more a political issue than a health one anyway.  It just doesn't play out as a sensible way to eat for most people.  And it also can cause some serious medical issues for many who might try that without making it a way of life and an obsession to read everything you need to know.

It would be difficult at best to remain healthy doing this for most people.  And I am happy to see that many of us point out those facts in case someone doesn't understand what the real issue is.  

I don't see others touting their version of a healthy diet as THE only way to live.  I think it is rather irresponsible for any of us to do that.  We don't know the individuals and we aren't professionals who could advise an individual on an appropriate diet for them.

You might rethink the claims you make so that people might consider incorporating more plants in their diet in a helpful way from you.  Recipes would be more helpful than making unsupported claims that cause most people to ignore any advice. 

@Sooner 

You really need to do some research.
I mean...it's just common sense, if anything.

And for not seeing 'others touting their version of a healthy diet...'.\ 

that's correct....because they can't.  There are no health benefits

from a high fat, highly processed animal based diet. None.

Little fiber & Inflammation galore. And that's where Disease begins. 

'Recipes'.....that's another excuse.

Humans have been eating plants forever. It's not that difficult.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sidsmom   Starches of any kind puts weight on me.  Your way of eating doesn't work for everyone as far as losing weight goes.

And....low carb diets do work for taking off weight, some aren't healthy diets, but they do work.

It's not about the starch.

Starches are basically 1 calorie per gram..ie.potatoes are zero fat.

The issues is the fat.  Reduce your fat percentage of total calories

for the day to 10% or less....guaranteed weight loss. 
Excess calories stores as fat...fat, protein, carbohydrates.

But the body really struggles turning CH to fat. 
'The key is to reduce the fat content

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

It's not about the starch.

It's the fat.  Reduce your fat percentage of total calories for the

day to 10% or less....guaranteed weight loss. 
Excess calories stores as fat...fat, protein, carbohydrates.

But the body really struggles turning CH to fat. 
'The key is to reduce the fat content

What makes you think I eat a high fat diet?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think the carb blockers would work or big pharm would market them.  

The real trick to losing weight is to manage hunger.  For me that is related to my body's insulin.  I am learning to manage it, and my long term diabetes, with intermittent fasting, so my body isn't constantly releasing insulin, and eating low carb/high to moderate fat.