Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH EXPRESS SCRIPTS

MEDICARE - SAVER prescription insurance?  I am checking prices for prescription insurance and this one would be a significant monthly savings.  Of course, higher copays.  DH and I take only a few prescriptions.

I just wondered if anyone had experience with this insurance - good or bad.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH EXPRESS SCRIPTS

@tends2dogs: The Express Scripts that I know is not an insurance company/carrier, but a pharmacy benefit manager that works with various organization/employers to fill, manage, and prior authorize prescriptions. They had a very tenuous relationship with my last employer, a very large insurance company, before I retired in 2018. I personally felt that their customer service was severely lacking. 

Frequent Contributor

I use them because my employer paid plan requires it.    Can honestly say that I have not had any problems with them.  

The only small complaint I have is with Accredo their "speciality pharmacy".  They supply the more expensive prescriptions.  In the past I was on Humira and injectable for RA.  (An expensive prescription.)  It came in a cooler box and was shipped Fedex.  Because I live on the third floor and they no longer deliver to your door they would drop the box in the lobby and I would have to carry it up. 

I am now on a different medication that comes in a small bottle but instead of sending it USPS which would go into my secure mailbox they insist on UPS next day.  So I have to watch for it because they too do not deliver to your door. 

Not a big deal to some.  But I worry that hings can go missing.

Frequent Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

@tends2dogs: The Express Scripts that I know is not an insurance company/carrier, but a pharmacy benefit manager that works with various organization/employers to fill, manage, and prior authorize prescriptions. They had a very tenuous relationship with my last employer, a very large insurance company, before I retired in 2018. I personally felt that their customer service was severely lacking. 

Now that you bring it up I do find them annoying.  They will call and the robot will ask for information before transferring you to a human that asks for the same information again.  I try to avoid them and use the on line site to interact with them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs 

My prescriptions have been through my retirement plan starting in 1991. I originally got them at my local Shopco Pharmacy. Over the years I was financially forced to go with mail order. For all long term prescriptions my plan would only pay only for the first 30 day prescription. The rest of the year had to paid by me.

That mail order was originally Medco. Years later it changed to Express Scripts. Not sure if the name Medco was changed to Express Scripts, or they are a different company. What I do know is I have had no major complaints with Express Scripts.

I have had Express Scripts for several years now. Whenever I have a question about a delivery of any of my several prescriptions. I have found their Customer Service among the best with which I have called, and that has been many.

Most of my prescriptions are on an "auto delivery" which is a year. My doctor writes a 90 day prescription, with 3 refills. I do have 1 prescription that has to be written every 90 days because of it's classification.

That 1 prescription, Express Scripts sends me a reminder at least 2 weeks prior to the date my 90 days expires. 

These paragraphs got out of context for some reason, and it is too complicated to rearrange on my tablet. Read them separately and they hopefully make sense to you @tends2dogs .

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

Not true.  When my husband was an employed union member his drug coverage was through Express Scripts.  Take the card to CVS or Walgreen or where ever with the prescription and it was filled for whatever the the co-pay was for that particular drug.  Never a need for pre-authorization.

Respected Contributor

@Susan345 wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

Now that you bring it up I do find them annoying.  They will call and the robot will ask for information before transferring you to a human that asks for the same information again.  I try to avoid them and use the on line site to interact with them. 

@Susan345 So you use Express Scripts currently?  They call you and ask you a question, you answer the question and then they transfer you to a human being?

Contributor

My husband & I do not have prescription coverage w/ Medicare or BS, our secondary insurance.  Instead we use either Blinkhealth.com or GoodRX.com. to get our meds.  We do not take many meds & have found using these 2 sites are much less expensive than paying for prescription coverage.

Respected Contributor

I had Express Scripts for almost 10 years until 1/18, when I was switched to a different company. I liked them much better than my current Rx plan, but 3 years is a long time in today's health care world.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@tends2dogs 

My prescriptions have been through my retirement plan starting in 1991. I originally got them at my local Shopco Pharmacy. Over the years I was financially forced to go with mail order. For all long term prescriptions my plan would only pay only for the first 30 day prescription. The rest of the year had to paid by me.

That mail order was originally Medco. Years later it changed to Express Scripts. Not sure if the name Medco was changed to Express, or they are a different company. What I do know is I have had no major complaints with Express Scripts.

I have had Express Scripts for several years now. Whenever I have a question about a delivery of any of my several prescriptions. I have found their Customer Service among the best with which I have called, and that has been many.

Most of my prescriptions are on an "auto delivery" which is a year. My doctor writes a 90 day prescription, with 3 refills. I do have 1 prescription that has to be written every 90 days because of it's classification.

That 1 prescription, Express Scripts sends me a reminder at least 2 weeks prior to the date my 90 days expires. 

These paragraphs got out of context for some reason, and it is too complicated to rearrange on my tablet. Read them separately and they hopefully make sense to you @tends2dogs .

hckynut 

@hckynut I used Medco at one point and it was by far one of the worst companies I ever had to deal with.  I prayed they would go away and never return.  I don't like mail order prescriptions.