Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH EXPRESS SCRIPTS

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

MEDICARE - SAVER prescription insurance?  I am checking prices for prescription insurance and this one would be a significant monthly savings.  Of course, higher copays.  DH and I take only a few prescriptions.

I just wondered if anyone had experience with this insurance - good or bad.

@tends2dogs  Before I retired, when I was working, Express Scripts was the prescription drug supplier organization my employer chose for the employees.  I never had any problem with them.  I used the mail order choice for ongoing, continuous prescriptions and went to local drug store for one-time prescriptions.  Pretty easy to work with.

Esteemed Contributor

Have not had any problems with this company.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp 

I didn't like mail order either, that's why I for years had a local Shopco Pharmacy. But with me, at 1 time, on 9 different meds, some long term? Some of which my Prescription covering only 1 for 30 days of the 352?

Unless one is independently wealthy, what choice did I have? None! Now I retired at age 52, so Medicare was 13 years away for me. I did however go for my SS at age 62. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

@tends2dogs: The Express Scripts that I know is not an insurance company/carrier, but a pharmacy benefit manager that works with various organization/employers to fill, manage, and prior authorize prescriptions. They had a very tenuous relationship with my last employer, a very large insurance company, before I retired in 2018. I personally felt that their customer service was severely lacking. 

Not true.  When my husband was an employed union member his drug coverage was through Express Scripts.  Take the card to CVS or Walgreen or where ever with the prescription and it was filled for whatever the the co-pay was for that particular drug.  Never a need for pre-authorization.

@CelticCrafter 

I'm not sure what you feel is not true. While most of my personal prescriptions were mail order, some were filled directly at retail. I had numerous arguments with Express Scripts in my years with them. Although you may not have had use for high tech specialty drugs, there are many drugs that require special or pre-authorization. That was one of the things I did at the insurance company I worked at. I fielded many misdirected calls from Express Script users, including their own customer service representatives, complaining about mishandled cases.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB 

I am not @Susan345, but I always talk with a human being at Express Scripts. And very seldom wait over a couple minutes.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KatieB 

I am not @Susan345, but I always talk with a human being at Express Scripts. And very seldom wait over a couple minutes.

hckynut 

Same here, @hckynut, back when I used them. 

Frequent Contributor

I've always had a good experience with them.  They had good follow up and refill procedures in place.

Frequent Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Susan345 wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

@tends2dogs: The Express Scripts that I know is not an insurance company/carrier, but a pharmacy benefit manager that works with various organization/employers to fill, manage, and prior authorize prescriptions. They had a very tenuous relationship with my last employer, a very large insurance company, before I retired in 2018. I personally felt that their customer service was severely lacking. 

Now that you bring it up I do find them annoying.  They will call and the robot will ask for information before transferring you to a human that asks for the same information again.  I try to avoid them and use the on line site to interact with them. 

@Susan345 So you use Express Scripts currently?  They call you and ask you a question, you answer the question and then they transfer you to a human being?

@KatieB wrote:

@Susan345 wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

Now that you bring it up I do find them annoying.  They will call and the robot will ask for information before transferring you to a human that asks for the same information again.  I try to avoid them and use the on line site to interact with them. 

@Susan345 So you use Express Scripts currently?  They call you and ask you a question, you answer the question and then they transfer you to a human being?

Yes I am currently with Express Scripts.  And there have been times when they call and ask for my date of birth and I think zip code before they put a live person on.  Sometimes if I'm not in the right mood I will not give them any information and eventually will get a live person. 

Frequent Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KatieB 

hckynut 

I believe you but I have never had to call them.  I try to do my requests on line.

Valued Contributor

My husband uses it for his part D and saves money. We have had no problems with express scripts, he takes one medication and we can use it at Walgreens. It's a better deal for him than his old plan.