Honored Contributor

Re: A different perspective of being fat

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline 

Her meaning is that your medical provider will give you his opinion of your overall health.  

At 67, I have had enough doctors to be prepared to disagree with the opinion they're going to give me.   What comes out of my providers mouth is straight from the AMA.   My Dr. is a smart man; his head is full of medical knowledge from his education and his office practice experience.  

He goes strictly by books, journals, and test results, but if you carry any amount of extra weight, you are not healthy, regardless of what your test results reflect!  

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@CatsyCline 

"If you carry any amount of extra weight, you are not healthy"!  

@RedTop 

Will add a sometimes necessary clarification to this sentence. Have talked about this the 20+ years I have been posting on these forums.

Scale weight numbers are not totally accurate. That is why I have always mentioned the type of weight being much different. Fat tissues is weight the body has to strain extra to carry, thus putting more strain on all the body's major organs. 

Muscle Tissue weight, on a numbers only scale, will show up as close to 2lbs heavier, as compared to Fat Tissue weight. The difference is immense when it comes to knowing ones body composition, for those seriously concerned about Body Weight and Health.

As I stated above, Fat Tissue is carried by the body, thus adding stress to the most important human organs. Muscle weight(albeit higher) is carrying that extra weight, thus making much less strain on those same organs.

Numbers only scale weight is important, but! The composition of that body weight is much more important, especially when it comes to the most important muscle organ, in the human body. The Heart!

Most that choose to lose weight hope that weight loss is fat tissue, not fluid or muscle tissue.That should help explain why numbers only, on a weight scale, are deceptive.While it is a good number to know, it is not the more important number.

I have weighed myself before Referring 3 hockey games, and after. There were times, using the same scale, wearing the same clothing, I was 12lbs lighter after. That however is short lived depending on how quickly my body hydrates itself from the fluid weight loss.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn 

It is not up to me to know when my time on earth is done; I am not in charge of my time frame.  

For as long as I have my stubbornness and will to live, I will keep facing the challenge of each day I am given.  I have the ability to increase my personal satisfaction with my life by eating healthy, exercising, taking supplements, having whatever procedure I want done to make me look and feel good, but my personal belief is that none of the above will extend my allotted time on this earth. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

It is not up to me to know when my time on earth is done; I am not in charge of my time frame.  

For as long as I have my stubbornness and will to live, I will keep facing the challenge of each day I am given.  I have the ability to increase my personal satisfaction with my life by eating healthy, exercising, taking supplements, having whatever procedure I want done to make me look and feel good, but my personal belief is that none of the above will extend my allotted time on this earth. 

@RedTop 

We agree. Again as I have stated in my posts over years now. My goal for being as healthy and physically fit as possible, had/has absolutely nothing to do with increasing the number of years in my life.

Most have heard "it is not the number of years in one's life, it is the amount of life in whatever number of years that might be". 

In spite of doing my best when it comes to health and fitness, a big part of "living my life" includes living it with taking more risks than many people". Eliminating those risks to possibly add more years? Not a chance!

Where we differ is this "set number" you believe, I do not. For me it has nothing to do with my religious beliefs, or the lack of them. It has everything to do with the will to want to keep living

Had I believed as you do during my 1st heart attack and Aspiration Pneumonia?  I would have had no desire to suffer any longer, because my set number had been reached.

I had choices to make and was told by my doctors. Take a risk by trying something different, or take the route of sure death. Had I believed my "set number" was upon me, why prolong that final total of days?  Unless and/or until one has been there, giving up and wanting to live, many times is the determining factor.

Maybe sounds irrelevant to those that have not been there, but!  Any reputable doctor will tell you that many people live through the worst because of their desire to live. And that those doctors determined why some live and some die from the exact same circumstances.

And the determining factor?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

And your point is... 

@chrystaltree , I was wondering that myself.

And I am curious how this would motivate anyone to reduce their already (more than likely) low caloric intake. 

Actually, the more people diet, the more likely they will be heavier with the next diet. I lost a wonderful friend to the disease of obesity who couldn't lose an ounce on 900 calories a day. Even after weight loss surgery, he lost only a few pounds. He had ruined his metabolism.

So photos like this should be accompanied by a Warning. The medical community has failed and needs to do a lot more research for this disease instead of showing photos. Research is needed and maybe the weight loss industry wouldn't be taking advantage of the millions (2/3 of the United States men and women are obese or overweight) to make $$$$$$.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@software I think that you are confusing the people that are refusing to be ashamed of their bodies, whatever size they are, with being proud of their "grossly overweight bodies".

Am I proud & happy that I am fat? No. Do I refuse to be ashamed of my body & enjoying life even though a lot of people would like me to feel that way?

I try not to be ashamed. But, I know a lot of people judge me for the way that I look in a pair of jeans or a swimsuit.

I have to live my life, though. The best that I can.

My mental health is just as important as my physical health.

I try to be kind to the unfortunate people that are busy counting calories & cutting carbs & judging people that don't do those things.

It's not being proud of my fat.

It's not apologizing to anyone that thinks that I am a less worthy person than they are because they are thinner than I am.

There is a current culture celebrating obesity.

Shaming is never acceptable.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

And your point is... 

@chrystaltree 

Who's point might that be? I have read differing points of view in this thread. I haven't a clue, which point that might be! If mine, more specificity would help.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

This photo has been around for a long time. Ten years ago, I saw this, and I decided to have weight loss surgery—one of the best decisions I have ever made.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell us about your experience; I've watched the series about really heavy (500+ lbs.) people are able to achieve weight loss due to the surgery but it isn't all that easy, at least not for Dr. Now's patients. I think some people have the idea that you just pop into the hospital, have the surgery, and the weight simply falls off.

It's not that easy; it's a LOT of work and can be very hard, and from what I've observed, many patients have some problems but many finally get to a normal weight. 

Valued Contributor

Your brain is mostly fat

really?

Valued Contributor

redtop. what you say about not being able to extend your life is true, but you CAN cut your life short by abusing your body in a myriad of ways.

Ever since I started watching series about Dr. Now and his patients, I'm a lot more tolerant (understanding?) of heavy people. You don't know what they're going through and sometimes, when I see a person like that out for a walk, I wish I could shake their hand or give them a hug, to let them know I appreciate their effort.