Honored Contributor

Re: A different perspective of being fat

First ... wow!

Second ... I thought the brain was at least 25% fat, and really needs fat to function properly.   I would guess that the human brain knows how to retain what it needs when the person goes on a drastic diet.     

Honored Contributor

And your point is... 

Honored Contributor

Pictures like this don't phase, or influence me.  

I accept that God put me here for a set number of days, and when my time is up, it's up.   Regardless of my final circumstances, I will still die when my heart stops.  

All of our death certificates will say different things; MI, cerebral hemorrhage, cancer, aneurysm, suicide, pneumonia, whatever applies, but the state needs an accepted diagnostic code for why we died.   

I've spent many minutes of my life looking at family death certificates and the variety of reasons listed as cause of death.  Regardless of how death is listed on that permanent record, it is used for statistical purposes for county and state.   

Until I leave this earth, I intend to live a meaningful life in the open dash area between my birth year and my death year, and it does not include scrutinizing everything I eat or worrying about what I weigh.  

Occasional Contributor

Isn't that to be expected though? If they looked the same, the overweight person wouldn't be overweight I wouldn't think.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop 

During the many weeks I have spent on the Heart Floor in the hospital(my 2nd home)!  I have had several discussions with patients that told me pretty much what you typed in your post. They had a set number of days in their life on earth.

I was raised a Catholic and went to most of my school years in a Catholic School. As I got older and began to see the variables in the beliefs and practices, of the Pastors of different Parishes! I thought why in my parish this is not allowed, but my co-worker that lived in a different parish, it was allowed.

I had a cousin who was a Catholic Priest, and a good friend that played in my hockey league, was also a Catholic Priest. This friend performed the services at the funeral of my youngest sister, who died of Cancer when she was just 52, in 1989.

I am not a non believer, as I do believe in a higher power, or belong to any religious organization. My belief is live a good Clean and charitable life, and respect others as your expect from them. 

Even 1 of my closest friends used a varient of your theory/belief, but he tailored it to fit his, not so healthy lifestyle. Similar to those I had discussions with during my long stays in the hospital, most days unrelated to my 2 heart attacks.

His theory/belief was similar to yours, in that he believed as you, we are only here for a set number of days, and he could not change that. His lifestyle I am sure was/is different than yours, but he believes in the "set number of days". 

He is about 3 years younger than me/played hockey and raced cars with me, and we worked the exact same job(some days side by side)for 15 of my 33 years with the same company. He is still living and his lifestyle caught up with him, both health wise and fitness wise. His mobility is minimal in comparison to mine, even though he has never faced life and death, as have I several times.

In short, I do not. I could go into many examples where living by/with that theory/belief, it can be, and is, detrimental to many that are healthy, and more specifically to those recovering from a near death health issue.

How exactly does my friend or others using this theory, know exactly when they have met/meet that set number of days. Is it when you know(think) you are dying, or when you are unconscious and have no idea what is going on?

With my 1st heart ❤ attack, with which I also suffered, what can be considered deadly, Aspiration Pneumonia. I was awake most of it, and had no reason to believe I was not going to die. Met "set number of days" had expired on/for me.

I won't going into what it took to mentally and physically took for me to fully recover. What I will say is this. Had I believed in your theory, I would not typing this 19 years later. 

If those reading this don't get what I am saying, maybe some may not have been as close to death as I was back then, and several times after that day of July 05, 2003.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

As I have stated here many times, as the child of older parents, and growing up with cousins old enough to be my parents, I have seen a lot of death, cleaned out a lot of houses, handled estates, and arranged a lot of funerals.

You can do everything right and die young, you can smoke and eat a lot of cake and pie and be thin, and then die at 100.  I don't know. I know there aren't rules that really work for all.  I try to live by my faith, but wish I were better at it.  I know it keeps me going. 

I do believe that the life you live matters, and that is the critical point.  If you can make even a small difference on this planet for someone else, it is a life well lived.  

And how you live, whether a generous and happy person or a sour old skinflint is how you die--whether your service to others is long or short. . . Now I've heard someone say that recently.  Oh yes, I think it was Queen Elizbeth a long time ago.  

Respected Contributor

@software I think that you are confusing the people that are refusing to be ashamed of their bodies, whatever size they are, with being proud of their "grossly overweight bodies".

Am I proud & happy that I am fat? No. Do I refuse to be ashamed of my body & enjoying life even though a lot of people would like me to feel that way?

I try not to be ashamed. But, I know a lot of people judge me for the way that I look in a pair of jeans or a swimsuit.

I have to live my life, though. The best that I can.

My mental health is just as important as my physical health.

I try to be kind to the unfortunate people that are busy counting calories & cutting carbs & judging people that don't do those things.

It's not being proud of my fat.

It's not apologizing to anyone that thinks that I am a less worthy person than they are because they are thinner than I am.

Trusted Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@software I think that you are confusing the people that are refusing to be ashamed of their bodies, whatever size they are, with being proud of their "grossly overweight bodies".

Am I proud & happy that I am fat? No. Do I refuse to be ashamed of my body & enjoying life even though a lot of people would like me to feel that way?

I try not to be ashamed. But, I know a lot of people judge me for the way that I look in a pair of jeans or a swimsuit.

I have to live my life, though. The best that I can.

My mental health is just as important as my physical health.

I try to be kind to the unfortunate people that are busy counting calories & cutting carbs & judging people that don't do those things.

It's not being proud of my fat.

It's not apologizing to anyone that thinks that I am a less worthy person than they are because they are thinner than I am.

❤️

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask your doctor the next checkup.  You will see exactly where your health is.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   what does this mean?