Honored Contributor

My sister-in-law always flies Southwest and requests a wheelchair when she books her flight. There is always someone to push her through security and to the plane.

Then they are waiting for her when her plane arrives. They take her to luggage and we pick her up then push her to the car. We take the wheelchair back to curbside check-in.

They will take care of the wheelchair after that.

The airport will help you and make your trip safe for your husband.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The only problem with SW airline when you board first due to being in a WC they ask you to sit in the first row and there is no seat in front of you to stow your purse under.You do board first and get taken off first as well. the only time I ever did this there was no one to piush the WC and a young soldier who was waiting to get on my same flight volunteered to do it. He was delightful and I really enjoyed his company. He sat with me on the flight There was an injured soldier and his wife in the seat across the aisle and we all chatted all through the flight.

@151949 I'm sorry but I don't believe that there wasn't anyone to push your wheelchair. My sister-in-law has flown Southwest for many years and they always take good care of her with a wheelchair.

From all your posts, I think you are a very unhappy woman and you like to complain.

Valued Contributor

I just flew SW and could sit anywhere I wanted to except the emergency exits.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Valued Contributor

Sister Golden Hair I agree with you & don't believe there was no one to push her WC either, unless she wheeled herself in her own WC.  The airline isn't going to provide a WC & expect you to push yourself LOL.  It's been my experience that the airlines are very attentive to the needs of disabled travelers.

Valued Contributor

We are flying Southwest so I am going to request a wheelchair. He doesn't have the stamina to walk from check in, through security, and then to the gate. I have never seen sky caps at Oakland airport, just the bigger ones but it's been a while since we have flow out of there. He has Parkinson's and this Alaska cruise we are going on has been planned for a year with our kids and grandkids. His mobility problems have gotten worse over our year of planning. I am calling the cruise line to see if they can lend us a wheelchair there. I am a bit shell shocked because we went to our local mall today to practice using the walker. He didn't do well at all, he is worse off than I thought. On the flight up the family will be with us but they are all staying in Seattle after the cruise so we will be going it alone on the return. I think by then I will have more confidence than I do right now. The new, shiny walker stays at home. 

Again thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it. 

Valued Contributor

Raider Fan I would still take the walker.  I imagine your husband would need it to at least get around your room on the ship & into the bathroom. Bon Voyage!

Respected Contributor

If he has trouble using a walker, could he use a mobility scooter?  That way, he could keep up with everyone & no one would have to push him in a wheelchair.  You might be able to rent a small easily portable scooter for him, that can be broken down for transporting & stowed in the trunk of a car.

Valued Contributor

Well actually, you leave it at the end of the jetway with all the other mobility devices and strollers. If you need assistance getting to your seat they have a special chair they will take you on. Otherwise, you just get on. When you get off, you don't have to get to the baggage claim. They have all the mobility devices and strollers right where you left them at the end of the jetway -- right where you get off the plane. I just traveled with a mobility cart and walker.

@151949 wrote:

The airline will take the walker at the check in and have it there for you at baggage claim.

Honored Contributor

@Raider Fan wrote:

We are flying Southwest so I am going to request a wheelchair. He doesn't have the stamina to walk from check in, through security, and then to the gate. I have never seen sky caps at Oakland airport, just the bigger ones but it's been a while since we have flow out of there. He has Parkinson's and this Alaska cruise we are going on has been planned for a year with our kids and grandkids. His mobility problems have gotten worse over our year of planning. I am calling the cruise line to see if they can lend us a wheelchair there. I am a bit shell shocked because we went to our local mall today to practice using the walker. He didn't do well at all, he is worse off than I thought. On the flight up the family will be with us but they are all staying in Seattle after the cruise so we will be going it alone on the return. I think by then I will have more confidence than I do right now. The new, shiny walker stays at home. 

Again thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it. 

You keep saying you are leaving the walker at home when he will clearly need it when you get there. May I suggest that for sight seeing etc you may want to get him a mobility chair at the drug store that has wheels - not a regular wheelchair but just a chair with wheels at the bottom and someone will have to push him.They are about $100 or perhaps you could rent one .